Originally posted by 667joe
    I could live with "IN GOOD WE TRUST"
    "IN GOODS WE TRUST" would seem fitting.
  2. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 20:00
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Why should your belief in god be promoted while my disbelief is trampled over? The state should remain neutral on the issue of god, neither promoting nor discouraging belief. Therefore the motto should be removed.
    This is the spiritual chat room. You are you even in here. You don't believe in spiritual. As far as the motto goes, if it is not hurting you get over it. If you don't like it give away all your money so that you don't have it on you, then you can't complain about it. Just use credit
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 20:19
    Originally posted by realeyez
    This is the spiritual chat room. You are you even in here. You don't believe in spiritual. As far as the motto goes, if it is not hurting you get over it. If you don't like it give away all your money so that you don't have it on you, then you can't complain about it. Just use credit
    So if people voted to put "God sucks! Suck it Christians!" on the dollar bill then you would just "get over it" ?

The point isn't that it's hurting anyone but the fact that it's in violation of the constitution of this country.

The suggestion that you should just not use money if you don't like it is just idiotic.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 20:371 edit
    As an atheist I want the "IN GOD WE TRUST" motto removed from our money. Our money should not reflect any religious view at all. To my theist friends, how would you feel if our money promoted atheism? If our money does not promote theism or atheism, perhaps we can all be happy!
    As a Christian, i would like it removed also, it makes a mockery of God, and believe me, he is not one to be mocked! Not only that, but apparently there is a reference to it, in the star spangled banner, so one would need to change that also!
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 06:10
    Originally posted by realeyez
    What if the money had "whites only" written on it? Would you have the same things to say?
  6. Break-twitching
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 06:24
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Why should your belief in god be promoted while my disbelief is trampled over? The state should remain neutral on the issue of god, neither promoting nor discouraging belief. Therefore the motto should be removed.
    Why should your disbelief in God change the money that has been this way since 1864? Since you disbelieve in a deity, simply avoid gazing at the mesmerizing words In God We Trust as a vampire would avoid sunshine.
  7. Break-twitching
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 06:26
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    That is not a fair comparison:
    People are given the choice of whether or not they go to church.
    People are not given the choice of whether or not religious propaganda is written on their money.
    Who said life was fair? Simply ignore the words, or you can give me all of your money and I'll spend it for you.
  8. Break-twitching
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 06:29
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I doubt it would bring happiness, but I'm all for removing the motto from money. I'd think that Jesus would be also.
    You have a point...most Americans claim to be 'spiritual' (whatever that means), but they only believe in God on Sundays. Most of humanity are 'spiritual' hippocrites.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 06:481 edit
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    Why should your disbelief in God change the money that has been this way since 1864?
    Because the First Amendment has been around since 1791.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 06:49
    Why should your disbelief in God change the money that has been this way since 1864?
    Because he finds it offensive. I don't see what the fact that it has been on the money since 1864 has to do with it. Unless maybe you think the government should issue an apology for such a long term offense?

Since you disbelieve in a deity, simply avoid gazing at the mesmerizing words In God We Trust as a vampire would avoid sunshine.
    Would you give a black man the same advice if the money said "Whites rule"?
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 13:57
    Who said life was fair? Simply ignore the words, or you can give me all of your money and I'll spend it for you.
    So if money had "Satan is my master" on it you'd just ignore the words?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:55
    As an atheist I want the "IN GOD WE TRUST" motto removed from our money. Our money should not reflect any religious view at all. To my theist friends, how would you feel if our money promoted atheism? If our money does not promote theism or atheism, perhaps we can all be happy!
    I'll tell you what, if my tax dollars stop going to fund abortions we will take the silly logo off the currency. Fair enough?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:56
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    "IN GOODS WE TRUST" would seem fitting.
    How about in dead presidents we trust? After all, we can't very well trust living ones can we?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 06:35
    What is interesting is that some people are offended by the little pyramid and eye symbol but don't apply the same logic to the "In God we Trust".
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is interesting is that some people are offended by the little pyramid and eye symbol but don't apply the same logic to the "In God we Trust".
    Excellent point. The "all seeing eye" is a pagan symbol sometimes refered to as the eye of horus. "In god we trust" has nothing to do with christianity or the christian god, as Zalhanzi refers to in his post a way back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree