1. Maryland
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 18:31
    As an atheist I want the "IN GOD WE TRUST" motto removed from our money. Our money should not reflect any religious view at all. To my theist friends, how would you feel if our money promoted atheism? If our money does not promote theism or atheism, perhaps we can all be happy!
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 19:12
    Originally posted by 667joe
    As an atheist I want the "IN GOD WE TRUST" motto removed from our money. Our money should not reflect any religious view at all. To my theist friends, how would you feel if our money promoted atheism? If our money does not promote theism or atheism, perhaps we can all be happy!
    No US coins or currency had that detestable motto until 1864, when it first appeared on the penny at the initiative of Salmon P. Chase, Secretary of the Treasury. It didn't appear on all US coinage until the 1930s, and didn't appear on currency until the 1950s, during the McCarthyist scare.

In other words, no US coins or currency at the time of our nation's founding had that motto. We got along just fine for the majority of our history without it. I agree with you that it is a divisive motto and should be removed from all coins and currency.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 19:13
    if we start now we might get all the old money replaced w/ new bills in a couple generations. we'll probably replace money completely w/ credit before all that happens.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 19:15
    As a Christian I want all people to go to church, since I'm not likey
    going to get what I want, why should you?
    Kelly
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    Why should your belief in god be promoted while my disbelief is trampled over? The state should remain neutral on the issue of god, neither promoting nor discouraging belief. Therefore the motto should be removed.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 19:22
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    if we start now we might get all the old money replaced w/ new bills in a couple generations. we'll probably replace money completely w/ credit before all that happens.
    Money will become useless and meaningless in the next age.
  7. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 19:35
    Kelly
    That is not a fair comparison:
    People are given the choice of whether or not they go to church.
    People are not given the choice of whether or not religious propaganda is written on their money.
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 20:43
    Kelly
    Because what we want is to reverse a violation of the constitution of the united states.

If the government forced what you want then it would violate the constitution.

By your logic noone should ever get what they want.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 21:35
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Money will become useless and meaningless in the next age.
    Christianity will become useless in the next age.
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 23:40
    dont you think if we traded only goods and services instead of useless paper that our world would prosper more? nobody would own anything useless.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 00:42
    I doubt it would bring happiness, but I'm all for removing the motto from money. I'd think that Jesus would be also.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 00:492 edits
    It pisses me off too. 😠 This sort of thing is why I am so hostile to the Christians in the US.

The next time Christians start whining about how mean I am to you, remember, there are reasons for it which I take very seriously. Respect me and I'll respect you.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 00:52
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    dont you think if we traded only goods and services instead of useless paper that our world would prosper more? nobody would own anything useless.
    Not at all. It would just make things tremendously inconvenient. I'm a teacher. One of my students' Dad is a security guard. I don't want a security guard's services. I want to pay my rent.

When I worked in a tobacco shop, I did not want to be paid in bags of cigarettes, and my boss did not want me to accept cosmetics in exchange for tobacco.

Money's a wonderful thing!
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 00:531 edit
    Kelly
    Because we don't have a right to control other peoples' actions with respect to going to church. We do however have the right to vote on removing that crap from our money.
  15. Joined
    08 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 03:41
    If you want it removed vote that way. If not,vote the other way. That is how it is supposed to work isn't it?

It does promote theism. Wonder what they had in mind when they did that? I suppose this kind of influence did help shape a healthy nation.(I am not for state endorsed religion btw.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree