1. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jun '08 02:53
    What do you believe is man's most crowning achievement?

    Is it in science, religion, art, music, literature, or something else?

    What is it, and why do you think so?

    I think I know what I believe, but I want to wait and see if someone else will say it first before I do.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    01 Jun '08 03:36
    The Human Genome Project or traveling to the moon.
  3. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    27860
    01 Jun '08 03:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    What do you believe is man's most crowning achievement?

    Is it in science, religion, art, music, literature, or something else?

    What is it, and why do you think so?

    I think I know what I believe, but I want to wait and see if someone else will say it first before I do.
    Literacy. To me it's immensely profound to be able to record and clarify your thoughts, and infinitely moreso to be able to read the thoughts of others, even across time and space.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    01 Jun '08 05:22
    Originally posted by josephw
    What do you believe is man's most crowning achievement?

    Is it in science, religion, art, music, literature, or something else?

    What is it, and why do you think so?

    I think I know what I believe, but I want to wait and see if someone else will say it first before I do.
    The flying penis at the Garry Kasparov press conference. And his ability to joke about it. Hell, in this country we would probably raise the terror alert.
  5. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    6400
    01 Jun '08 06:56
    Originally posted by josephw
    What do you believe is man's most crowning achievement?

    Is it in science, religion, art, music, literature, or something else?

    What is it, and why do you think so?

    I think I know what I believe, but I want to wait and see if someone else will say it first before I do.
    Many years ago I heard a man proclaim that mankind's greatest discovery is that anyone, regardless of their circumstances, can change their situation by changing their thoughts and attitudes. I believe that with all my heart.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Joined
    14 Jan '07
    Moves
    58559
    01 Jun '08 09:50
    Originally posted by josephw
    What do you believe is man's most crowning achievement?

    Is it in science, religion, art, music, literature, or something else?

    What is it, and why do you think so?

    I think I know what I believe, but I want to wait and see if someone else will say it first before I do.
    Interesting question, and in it you have religion as a man made achievement. I assume you mean all relogions but the one you follow?

    For me, it's a little bit of all but religion. Wouldn't it be great if we could say here that man got organised and now no one is starving any longer.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jun '08 12:35
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Literacy. To me it's immensely profound to be able to record and clarify your thoughts, and infinitely moreso to be able to read the thoughts of others, even across time and space.
    This is good. Literacy is a sure key to success for all. And it makes us free. I like the idea of reading each others minds through the medium of writing. I think it must be true that the pen is mightier than the sword.
  8. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jun '08 12:35
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    The Human Genome Project or traveling to the moon.
    Out of this world!
  9. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jun '08 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    The flying penis at the Garry Kasparov press conference. And his ability to joke about it. Hell, in this country we would probably raise the terror alert.
    Most Christians would have their sensibilities offended, but I would ask why and to what purpose?

    I don't understand the "raise the terror alert" thing though.
  10. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jun '08 12:48
    Originally posted by muppyman
    Many years ago I heard a man proclaim that mankind's greatest discovery is that anyone, regardless of their circumstances, can change their situation by changing their thoughts and attitudes. I believe that with all my heart.
    I think you're absolutely right. The ability to dream and think one's way to a better life should be nurtured in all our institutions. Unfortunately there are too many people trapped in circumstances I don't think they can over come without a great deal of effort and help by those of us who have.
  11. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jun '08 12:53
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Interesting question, and in it you have religion as a man made achievement. I assume you mean all relogions but the one you follow?

    For me, it's a little bit of all but religion. Wouldn't it be great if we could say here that man got organised and now no one is starving any longer.
    We could do it. We have the resources. I don't really want to bring religion into this though.

    What do you think is holding us back from achieving the goal of meeting the basic necessities of life for so many of the world's destitute?
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jun '08 13:04
    I had in mind to suggest that man's greatest achievement was his ability to make war, but then I feared appearing too pessimistic.

    Then I thought, America. I think America represents man's greatest achievement precisely because it has fostered and led the way in those areas that each of you has suggested.

    God bless America.

    Thanks for your participation. I wish others would join in. Together we can change the world. 🙂
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    01 Jun '08 13:121 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Most Christians would have their sensibilities offended, but I would ask why and to what purpose?

    I don't understand the "raise the terror alert" thing though.
    The capacity of levity and humor.

    We would raise the terror alert because we have no sense of humor.
  14. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    01 Jun '08 13:18
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    The capacity of levity and humor.

    We would raise the terror alert because we have no sense of humor.
    Good morning Kirk!

    Laughter is the best medicine.
  15. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Joined
    14 Jan '07
    Moves
    58559
    01 Jun '08 18:02
    Originally posted by josephw
    We could do it. We have the resources. I don't really want to bring religion into this though.

    What do you think is holding us back from achieving the goal of meeting the basic necessities of life for so many of the world's destitute?
    I would have to say greed. Is it human nature to be greedy? I'm not sure but the fear that our money will be waisted on someones greed holds me back from handing it out.
Back to Top