1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 18:27
    Originally posted by serigado
    Again, the machiavelic argument: The ends justify the means.
    I can teach them the good things religion defends without making them religious. I do not defend the contrary of religion.

And I don't want them to have "only" a positive life. I want to them have the best possible life, thinking for themselves and without kneeing before anyone.
    but what is the 'best possible' life? How can you judge in advance? It might be better that they are submissive and survive than be aggressive and encounter problems?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 19:08
    I would want my children to reach whatever position they wanted to independent of me. I won't say religion is good or bad, right or wrong. The same for everything else.
    But you think you have a duty to teach your children from the very beginning your beliefs. You might be biasing their free-thinking from the beginning, depending on how that teaching is made.
    Teaching a specific religion to a young child is very reducing, you must admit.
    I have a friend who relentlessly roots for his hometeam, the Blackpool Tangerine. Still other friends here stateside are adamant in their support for their hometeam, the Cleveland Browns. Are either of these groups ever likely to see their hopes and dreams fulfilled? Generation after generation, however, their progeny fill the stadium seats, inspired by their fathers (and their fathers' fathers) in their rabid support for losing efforts.

That, my friend, is child abuse.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 19:152 edits
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    but what is the 'best possible' life? How can you judge in advance? It might be better that they are submissive and survive than be aggressive and encounter problems?
    Submissive children? Dogs are submissive, not humans. Humans are curious, have desire to evolve and be something more.
    Children should be raised to be better then is parents. To bring something new to the new generations, to mankind. They can find problems, but they will be intelligent enough to surpass them, I hope.

As to what the best possible life is, I don't know, But for sure it's not standing still and being afraid of what might happen if I go by that or another road.
    And children won't go anywhere with a religious education. It's just too much reducing. Although they can be safer.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 19:171 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I have a friend who relentlessly roots for his hometeam, the Blackpool Tangerine. Still other friends here stateside are adamant in their support for their hometeam, the Cleveland Browns. Are either of these groups ever likely to see their hopes and dreams fulfilled? Generation after generation, however, their progeny fill the stadium seats, inspired by fathers) in their rabid support for losing efforts.

That, my friend, is child abuse.
    Didn't quite understand:
    1 - When did I mention abuse
    2 - Where is the abuse in the example you provided
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 20:22
    I won't go against your Christianity.
    You had your studies, saw different points of view, and freely chose the philosophy that best suited yourself. You are a lucky one. That's free thinking and I encourage your position, because at least you had a choice. (although i don't agree with it)
    What I am against is parents preventing their children from the edu ...[text shortened]... ence is, what people think, different points of view, and then choose for yourselves".
    an interesting point, but what of the reverse? What about a xouple who refuse to let their children have ANY contact with any church? No discussions about God, no celebrating religious holidays, nothing. I know about this first hand and it proves to me that the so-called free-thinkers I know are just as restrictive as the organized religions they claim to abhor.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 20:48
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    an interesting point, but what of the reverse? What about a xouple who refuse to let their children have ANY contact with any church? No discussions about God, no celebrating religious holidays, nothing. I know about this first hand and it proves to me that the so-called free-thinkers I know are just as restrictive as the organized religions they claim to abhor.
    It's wrong too. So you can't call them free-thinkers. Protecting / hiding children from one of the major viewpoints in the world (religion) is not educative.
    You can call them anti-religious, but don't put them in the same bag as free-thinkers, as if a free-thinker is a bad thing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree