Intellectual Honesty from a Christian

Intellectual Honesty from a Christian

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, it doesn't address it. You don't even say clearly whether you believe the words attributed to him, were actually said by him. You know they were written down long after his death. Yet you put more weight on the gospels than on other writings, even though both the gospels and those other writings were both written after his death.
How are the gospels ...[text shortened]... pels is not literal history but is mythology and beliefs - eg the parts about Jesus' birth.
Since you are a believer in historical jewish myths, I am sure you would agree with
Howard Stein on the Holocaust.

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v14/v14n5p28_Stein.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_denial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
Ask away, you may get an I don't know. 🙂
Kelly
if it turns out god is allah and all the christians, atheists and other belief systems were wrong, would you convert to islam?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
For a little while, I've had a series of short discussions with a retired pastor regarding the teachings of Jesus. Recently he acknowledged that he reads the words of Jesus through the lens of the writings of Paul and others whereby essentially making the New Testament/Bible his "Lord" rather than Jesus. It was refreshing that he had the intellectual hone ...[text shortened]... lsewhere should take heart in knowing it is possible to get some measure of it.

Comments?
There are plenty here in this camp, the "if it's not in the biblical texts, then it just ain't so" crowd. Yes, they make the Bible their Lord, instead of Jesus.

Well put. Good insight.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
"The pin is mightier than the sword."- Fred Reinfeld
I see the humor in this, yes, but I'm not sure I agree with it.

After all, the skewer (or the "sword" in your quote) is more powerful than a pin, because a pin alone is only a potential threat, which then rises in immediacy once other pieces (or pawns) are brought to bear on the pinned piece. A skewer, on the other hand, although similar, is an immediate threat of material loss, oftentimes harder to counter than a pin.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
if it turns out god is allah and all the christians, atheists and other belief systems were wrong, would you convert to islam?
And how do you propose we find out?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
There are plenty here in this camp, the "if it's not in the biblical texts, then it just ain't so" crowd. Yes, they make the Bible their Lord, instead of Jesus.

Well put. Good insight.
But have you read the rest of his posts on this thread and can you really
understand what he is saying and explain it to the rest of us in simple terms.
He seems to be saying one thing one place and contradicts himself in another
place. Then when confronted with it by requesting an explanation, he just
tells everyone to reread the OP.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
But have you read the rest of his posts on this thread and can you really
understand what he is saying and explain it to the rest of us in simple terms.
He seems to be saying one thing one place and contradicts himself in another
place. Then when confronted with it by requesting an explanation, he just
tells everyone to reread the OP.
All I really see here is a bunch of posts by others getting totally away from the ideas of his OP. All I see him doing is trying to explain his OP and wondering why no one is "getting" what he's saying.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
All I really see here is a bunch of posts by others getting totally away from the ideas of his OP. All I see him doing is trying to explain his OP and wondering why no one is "getting" what he's saying.
That was what I am asking. I hope you are not as dense as he is. Explain it to
us please if you get it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Mar 12

As it turns out who God is, isn't something you have to wait till your dead to
find out? I'm not concern about about being wrong, I wasn't raised a Christain
and I didn't turn my life around from what it was on my own. God is alive and
well and will play an active part in your life now, Jesus is just a prayer away.

To put it another way, I don't look for something I've found.
Kelly

Moves
11 Mar 12

As it turns out who God is, isn't something you have to wait till your dead to
find out? I'm not concern about about being wrong, I wasn't raised a Christain
and I didn't turn my life around from what it was on my own. God is alive and
well and will play an active part in your life now, Jesus is just a prayer away.

To put it another way, I don't look for something I've found.
Kelly
its a hypothetical question, use your imagination.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Mar 12

its a hypothetical question, use your imagination.
Isn't that what atheists do to deny the truth?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Mar 12

For me this is like asking would I love my son if he were someone else's son.
It isn't worth the effort to put to thought, since reality and the question have
nothing to do with each other.
Kelly

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Mar 12

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
For a little while, I've had a series of short discussions with a retired pastor regarding the teachings of Jesus. Recently he acknowledged that he reads the words of Jesus through the lens of the writings of Paul and others whereby essentially making the New Testament/Bible his "Lord" rather than Jesus. It was refreshing that he had the intellectual hone ...[text shortened]... lsewhere should take heart in knowing it is possible to get some measure of it.

Comments?
Why would you have him make Jesus his Lord, rather than meditate on the mythos of the Trinity? Worshipping a man is a senseless activity.

T

Moves
12 Mar 12
1 edit

No I responded to you, as a matter of fact you are the ONLY person I have
responded too. Are you following your own conversations, now I'm not sure you
are?
Kelly
I know I'm the only person that you've responded to.

What I said was:
"This is the second straight post of yours where you have responded to responses I've written to other people."

I'll try to explain it another way since you don't seem to understand the above.
Look at your previous two posts to me. In the "Originally posted by ToO" box, the text that is quoted is from responses I had written to people other than you. It does NOT show text from response I had written to you. Plus, there's nothing in you previous two posts to me to indicate that you had read the responses I had addressed to you. As such, I don't know if you've read them.

Understand now?

T

Moves
12 Mar 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, it was not very clear. It is clear that you do not consider the Bible inerrant, even when it comes to the gospels, but it is not clear how accurate you do consider the gospels, nor why you give more weight to them than to the other writings of the new Testament.
Let's try this again.

My previous post to you was addressing the following assertion you made in your previous post:
"You don't even say clearly whether you believe the words attributed to him, were actually said by him."

This doesn't make sense since I had written the following:
"I certainly don't see...that all words/actions attributed to Jesus were spoken/done by him."

I'm thinking it does say it clearly.

So I'm left wondering whether or not you had seen it and, if you had, what isn't clear about it.

If you do think it clear, then acknowledge that your assertion was false and we can move on.