1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    18 Jun '08 05:31
    Here, a Norwegian Professor of Astrophysics, who used to be a defender of Christianity, realised his previous Christian beliefs were lacking in any logical basis. He renounced Christianity after hearing a debate between Christopher Hitchens and Alistair McGrath, and finding he agreed more with the atheist Hitchens than the theologian McGrath.

    An interesting read for non-believers, and it may do a lot to convince theists that losing one's faith can be a liberating experience, as one cuts through the lies.

    http://www.richarddawkins.net/article,2732,Oystein-Elgaroy----the-Christian-defender-who-became-an-Atheist,Even-Gran
  2. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    7051
    18 Jun '08 06:20
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    He renounced Christianity after hearing a debate between Christopher Hitchens and Alistair McGrath
    He should stick to astrophysics.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    2926
    18 Jun '08 06:42
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Here, a Norwegian Professor of Astrophysics, who used to be a defender of Christianity, realised his previous Christian beliefs were lacking in any logical basis. He renounced Christianity after hearing a debate between Christopher Hitchens and Alistair McGrath, and finding he agreed more with the atheist Hitchens than the theologian McGrath.

    An int ...[text shortened]... kins.net/article,2732,Oystein-Elgaroy----the-Christian-defender-who-became-an-Atheist,Even-Gran
    i was reading the comments and everyone talks down to him as if even though he has left his fath behind, he is not an equal. i see atheists speak that way to theists often but it surprises me that they would speak this way to another atheist.
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615446
    18 Jun '08 07:26
    Faith is never lost, it evolves.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    18 Jun '08 11:03
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Faith is never lost, it evolves.
    I'd say he's pretty much definitively lost his faith.
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    18 Jun '08 11:04
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    He should stick to astrophysics.
    And you to innane comments, apparently.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    18 Jun '08 11:10
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i was reading the comments and everyone talks down to him as if even though he has left his fath behind, he is not an equal. i see atheists speak that way to theists often but it surprises me that they would speak this way to another atheist.
    You have to remember, none of these people are talking "to" the Prof dude, they're really just discussing it amongst themselves, and are hence more honest and frank. I think most hold him in high regard, it is hard to break the chains of childhood indoctrination, but they are more discussing the circumstances than the individual.

    Can't be sure, but that's my take.
  8. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    7051
    18 Jun '08 11:19
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    And you to innane comments, apparently.
    I have no idea what that means.

    Moving on...do you think that a theatre debate between a journalist and a pop-theologian would give a representation of all the arguments for and against theism?
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    18 Jun '08 11:30
    the way richarddawkins is relating the topic is like they feel sorry for the poor lost puppy that found his way. as venom said, they feel he is inferior because he could actually at one point delude himself with nonsense and was not from the beginning a true thinker like himself.
    i really don't like the richard fellow, and because i am subjective to everything the man says(or approves in his site) i can't form a proper opinion. anyway, the norwegian dude had a philosophy and when he realized it was lacking, he changed it. to me that is much worthier of respect than what dawkins and his clique are preaching, that religion is mind numbing. i doubt that the norwegian is now a few point higher on the iq pole just because he changed his philosophy
  10. weedhopper
    Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    8062
    18 Jun '08 11:55
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    He should stick to astrophysics.
    True. How is it that someone as intelligent as he, would give ANY credence to a hack like Hitchens?
  11. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    19 Jun '08 13:12
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I'd say he's pretty much definitively lost his faith.
    Or he could be in the process of readjusting his pre-concieved image of God?
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    19 Jun '08 13:33
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I have no idea what that means.

    Moving on...do you think that a theatre debate between a journalist and a pop-theologian would give a representation of all the arguments for and against theism?
    Whoevery said it would.... That said, I found it an interesting read, mainly because of his stated point where he suddenly realised that he actually agreed more with the atheistic viewpoint than the theistic viewpoint.

    He let the evidence guide him, and that guided him away from religion.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    19 Jun '08 13:33
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    True. How is it that someone as intelligent as he, would give ANY credence to a hack like Hitchens?
    You think McGrath is any better?
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    19 Jun '08 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    the way richarddawkins is relating the topic is like they feel sorry for the poor lost puppy that found his way. as venom said, they feel he is inferior because he could actually at one point delude himself with nonsense and was not from the beginning a true thinker like himself.
    i really don't like the richard fellow, and because i am subjective to every the norwegian is now a few point higher on the iq pole just because he changed his philosophy
    I have already pointed out that NOONE BELIEVES THAT BELIEVING IN GOD LOWERS YOUR IQ. However, that said, more well educated people are less likely to believe in god. The reason for this, in my opinion, would principally be that more intelligent people tend to more likely to critically examine the evidence for or against their beliefs, and they also tend to understand their environment and the universe more. Nothing breeds superstition like ignorance. In a similar vein, I find the only people who don't accept evolution are those who don't understand it, and frequently don't WANT to understand it.

    Many people on RD'S website are former theists (they actually tend to be the loudest voices, actually). I think many people there know exactly how this guy felt, finding out they've been lied to by people in positions of trust in their lives for so many years.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    19 Jun '08 13:42
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Or he could be in the process of readjusting his pre-concieved image of God?
    I don't think he'll ever be going to church again. But there are many stories like his.
Back to Top