"Is Atheism a Belief or a Lack of Belief?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Jun 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
No, I accept that there may be a creator. Do you accept that there may not be?
No, I accept that there may be a creator.

So you are not an atheist then?

F

Moves
18 Jun 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Repeating the OP is actually a little rude, even if that was not your intention.
It has been pointed out to him that it's rude more times than I can remember, and often it's a tactic he uses quite deliberately to blank out or sidestep posts and scrutiny and exchanges that are not (shall we say) going in his favour, so there's not much wriggle room to argue that it's not his intention to treat the members of the community rudely.

Moves
18 Jun 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
[b]No, I accept that there may be a creator.

So you are not an atheist then?[/b]
Sigh.

Atheism is a life without God. An atheist who leaves the door open to the existence of God, if new evidence came to light, is still an atheist.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Jun 16

Sigh.

Atheism is a life without God. An atheist who leaves the door open to the existence of God, if new evidence came to light, is still an atheist.
Why fuss with categorical distinctions?
The only salient question is do you believe in Christ for your salvation and eternal life.

Yes?

No [which includes the agnostic's "maybe"]?

Moves
18 Jun 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
The only salient question is do you believe in Christ for your salvation and eternal life.

Yes?

No [which includes the agnostic's "maybe"]?
I appreciate it is a salient question, for you.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Jun 16
2 edits

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Because it aids communication (something you are notoriously bad at).
If I use a word, it helps if the listener understands what I mean by that word. It is quite remarkable how many people have every intention of not understanding the meaning of certain words as if deliberate miscommunication somehow benefits them. The only explanation I can think of is that they know that they are wrong an believe miscommunication is a good way to cover up that fact.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Jun 16
1 edit

[b]No, I accept that there may be a creator.

So you are not an atheist then?[/b]
I am indeed an atheist. And I repeat my question; do you accept that there may not be a creator?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
18 Jun 16
4 edits

I am indeed an atheist. And I repeat my question; do you accept that there may not be a creator?
I am indeed an atheist.

So if I asked you, "do you believe that God exists?" Which reply would best describe your belief in God?
a)Yes
b)No

I would reply yes, because I believe that God (a higher power) does exist and I do not doubt his existence.

If you reject the question because it is supposedly a false dichotomy, please clarify why you believe that to be the case.

And I repeat my question; do you accept that there may not be a creator?

I do not doubt the existence of a creator.

Moves
18 Jun 16

I do not doubt the existence of a creator.[/b]
You absolutely sure about that?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
19 Jun 16

You absolutely sure about that?
Yes, I am absolutely sure that I don't doubt the existence of a creator.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
19 Jun 16

[b]I am indeed an atheist.

So if I asked you, "do you believe that God exists?" Which reply would best describe your belief in God?
a)Yes
b)No

I would reply yes, because I believe that God (a higher power) does exist and I do not doubt his existence.

If you reject the question because it is supposedly a false dichotomy, please clarify w ...[text shortened]... do you accept that there may not be a creator?[/b]

I do not doubt the existence of a creator.[/b]
I would answer (b), because I do not believe that god exists. I would add, for clarity, that neither do I believe that god does not exist.

How can you be so certain that he, she or it does exist? Your experiences of life give you no greater insight into these matters than anybody else, and of course you are aware that people of your faith and persuasion comprise a minority of the global population. Are you basing your faith on scripture? Does this not seem to you to be a very ricketty foundation for such a lofty construction? Or, like some others here, do you feel you have 'communed' with your god?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
19 Jun 16

I would answer (b), because I do not believe that god exists. I would add, for clarity, that neither do I believe that god does not exist.

How can you be so certain that he, she or it does exist? Your experiences of life give you no greater insight into these matters than anybody else, and of course you are aware that people of your faith and pers ...[text shortened]... a lofty construction? Or, like some others here, do you feel you have 'communed' with your god?
Hold on, so you believe god doesn't exist and you don't believe he doesn't exist? That doesn't make any sense.

To answer you question, life would not make any sense if God was not in the picture. I don't think a life without God makes any sense whatsoever. I don't think life can create itself. The human body is more complex than a spaceship, don't think a spaceship can create itself. Everyone believes a spaceship was designed, I believe that body was also designed. However you look at it something has always existed. And that thing I believe is God.

Moves
19 Jun 16

Hold on, so you believe god doesn't exist and you don't believe he doesn't exist? That doesn't make any sense.

To answer you question, life would not make any sense if God was not in the picture. I don't think a life without God makes any sense whatsoever. I don't think life can create itself. The human body is more complex than a spaceship, don't th ...[text shortened]... designed. However you look at it something has always existed. And that thing I believe is God.
Who said life can create itself? (Apart from you).

You have a habit of making a statement (that no one has stated) and then set about refuting it.

The teleological argument is old hat by the way.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Jun 16

Who said life can create itself? (Apart from you).

You have a habit of making a statement (that no one has stated) and then set about refuting it.

The teleological argument is old hat by the way.
I'll say everything cannot create itself from nothing and I defy you to show me how I'm
wrong. Then I'd like you to tell me once we get past how everything sprang up from
nothing how life managed to get formed when it takes to whole stinking universe to be
properly setup for it to occur. Since this isn't an theology question I want your evidence
please or admit you have none and we can just both then claim what we both have is
faith.

Moves
19 Jun 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
I'll say everything cannot create itself from nothing and I defy you to show me how I'm
wrong. Then I'd like you to tell me once we get past how everything sprang up from
nothing how life managed to get formed when it takes to whole stinking universe to be
properly setup for it to occur. Since this isn't an theology question I want your evidence
please or admit you have none and we can just both then claim what we both have is
faith.
I have stated quite clearly old chap that I have no idea how life (existence or the universe) came into existence, other than i do not believe it was the action of a God I do not believe in.

I do however have some understanding of how life evolved, but that is a different conversation than how life came into being. I have also not made the statement that everything created itself from nothing. That was merely a statement made by fetchmyjunk so that he could argue against it.