Is Atheism irrational?

Is Atheism irrational?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Darfius
[b/]Atheists do not need to prove that god does not exist, nor do they even try to do so.

It's a free country. You're free to hold whatever irrational beliefs you'd like. Just don't pretend like you're being the rational one. ...[text shortened]... or origin of life. Let's not talk about reasonable anything.

[/b]
Darfius: 3. We have non-physical minds

I'd love to see some scientific proof of this. Take even your brain out of your skull and you won't have a mind, Darfius.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
09 Apr 05

Originally posted by Coletti
I agree. Atheism itself can not. It has no foundations to build any knowledge on. Any knowledge an atheist has - would have nothing to do with being an atheist. Maybe he is also a rationalist, or an empiricist.
Hang on there boyo. I believe in many things but god just aint one of them. This may make me part of the category 'atheist' but it certainly does not deny me a foundation for knowlege.

Your statement is the kind of arrogant theist claptrap that really gets my goat.

Enjoy your heaven. Personally I'll take my chances with the half men / half fish poking me with sticks for eternity; atleast I won't have to listen to all this sanctimonious drivel

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
09 Apr 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
Hang on there boyo. I believe in many things but god just aint one of them. This may make me part of the category 'atheist' but it certainly does not deny me a foundation for knowlege.

Your statement is the kind of arrogant theist claptrap that really gets my goat.

Enjoy your heaven. Personally I'll take my chances with the half men / half fis ...[text shortened]... ng me with sticks for eternity; atleast I won't have to listen to all this sanctimonious drivel
You are projecting arrogance without cause. I said atheism - not atheist. What ever is your understanding of knowledge - it is not predicated on atheism. You can not deduce any knowledge from the unbelief in a deity - and that's all atheism says.

S

Moves
09 Apr 05

Atheism is simply the disbelief in God or any deity. That's it. It has not other doctrines or tenants. It is not a system or a philosophy.

I believe that God can not be absolutely proven by deductive reason or experience. Although there is much evidence, and good logical arguments, they will always fail at some point, no matter how small. And this ...[text shortened]... blem with atheism then is that is can offer no further help in understanding the world or man.
I find this a very sensible statement and one I wish more Christians could understand. As an Atheist, I do not begrudge your beliefs, I merely disagree with them. I also have a great many beliefs outside of Atheism, because as you so rightly say, Atheism cannot answer my questions about man or the universe around us, it is not a system. If more Christians here understood this, the debates available to us would be less cluttered with deciding which of us was irrational and more about the really important subjects. I commend you on this attitude.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
09 Apr 05
1 edit

You are projecting arrogance without cause. I said atheism - not atheist. What ever is your understanding of knowledge - it is not predicated on atheism. You can not deduce any knowledge from the unbelief in a deity - and that's all atheism says.
Atheism is usually part of a wider system of beliefs and values. Just because you only have one club in your (theist) interllectual and moral golf bag doesn't mean that its antithesis is the most important club in mine.

Arrogance...you guys dress it up with humility but operate in permenant smug mode...I'm saved and I know it (swanky nerds)

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
09 Apr 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
Atheism is usually part of a wider system of beliefs and values. Just because you only have one club in your (theist) interllectual and moral golf bag doesn't mean that its antithesis is the most important club in mine.
... (swanky nerds)
Well I hope so! You won't play golf very well with only a putter. 😉

"swanky nerds" !? never been called that one before. I don't know if I should be pleased or pissed?

But I'd be happy to talk philosophical clubs some and see who's has the best drive and best precision when needed. But this thread is on atheism.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
09 Apr 05
1 edit

Well I hope so! You won't play golf very well with only a putter. 😉

"swanky nerds" !? never been called that one before. I don't know if I should be pleased or pissed?

But I'd be happy to talk philosophical clubs some and ...[text shortened]... e and best precision when needed. But this thread is on atheism.
The thread is only about atheism because the theist who started it fears thought without god. Obsessed with god, obsessed with the thought of no god; too fearful to think for thenselves so they absolve themselves of responsibility by falling back on god.

Pleased or pissed? Tou can be pleased and pissed where I come from

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
09 Apr 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Atheism is a universal negative. Everyone who has studied logic knows that you cannot prove a universal negative. If you say that that there is no such thing in the universe as little green men, for instance, there is no way to prove it. You'd have to travel through every planet and every star and inside every star and through every galaxy in the entire u ...[text shortened]... ith Him forever. It is my earnest desire that that assurance may be yours, if it is not already.
The definite statement that there are no gods is irrational. To tentatively assume there are no gods because there is no evidence of any is not irrational.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
10 Apr 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
[b]Why would I explain the begining of something I know exists , by deciding it was created by something that only might exists and then say the thing that only might exist needs no begining?

You need to explain the begining of the universe because it has been proven to have a beginnig. It needs a cause. The only possible cause is something that has no begining. Thus it makes perfect sense. [/b]
There's been no prove ever developed that shows the universe had a beginning, and dont say the bigbang was the begining because we know it can't have been for some highly technical reason.
I don't think you're expertise is cosmology is up to the level needed to grasp them but if you like I will post the reasons for you.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
10 Apr 05

There is nothing irrational about atheism, one could say that to hold to a belief in Thor the Thunderer is irrational now that we know that thunder has a natural explaination. It has even been suggested that the universe itself may not need a creator, which if true would er, remove the need for a creator and seriously damage Jerry Falwell's et al bank accounts, but that is of no concern in a spiritual sense.

P

Moves
10 Apr 05

The simple contention that "God does not exist", is irrational. But atheism is a belief, just like a belief that god does exist. Faiths do not have to be rational. And like it or not, theism and atheism are both faiths.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
10 Apr 05

Originally posted by Pullhard
The simple contention that "God does not exist", is irrational. But atheism is a belief, just like a belief that god does exist. Faiths do not have to be rational. And like it or not, theism and atheism are both faiths.
I disagree. Faith is irrational. Stating that God either does or does not exist is irrational. Agnostic atheism is not irrational.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
10 Apr 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I disagree. Faith is irrational. Stating that God either does or does not exist is irrational. Agnostic atheism is not irrational.
There are only three possible answers to the question - does God exist: yes, no, and dunno. How you answer does not make your position irrational, although 2 out of 3 require faith.

If faith were irrational, then any unproven belief you have would be irrational - which would make 90% of everyone's beliefs irrational. Then again, maybe we are all mostly irrational beings. That would explain a lot.

P

Moves
10 Apr 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Based on your post, you do agree.

P

Moves
10 Apr 05

How you answer does not make your position irrational, although 2 out of 3 require faith.

I think how you answer dictates if your position is irrational or not. If you answer "God does not exist", your position is irrational, since no one (to my knowledge) has ever proven He doesn't exist. However, if you answer "I am not sure", there is rationale in the position because the evidence is not conclusive either way.