1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 09:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    my view is that abraham was weak instead of strong and should have been punished instead of rewarded. the real test was defying god's wish or not on an issue god himself has put forth.
    Doesn't that view imply that morality is above God? Or, alternatively, that the end of the story in the Bible is incorrect?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:05
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I can't believe you have no curiosity about shamanism.
    Many things you are interested in, I'm not. Many things I am interested in, you're not. We are just not alike. It doesn't bother me. Does it bother you?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Many things you are interested in, I'm not. Many things I am interested in, you're not. We are just not alike. It doesn't bother me. Does it bother you?
    It doesn't bother me; I'm just surprised.

Presumably you're interested in how the mind functions; shamanism sheds light on that (and many other topics).

I'd be interested to know which of your interests you think wouldn't interest me; I'm fairly certain I'm interested in them all, although perhaps not to the same degree in every case.

Try me.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:10
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Doesn't that view imply that morality is above God? Or, alternatively, that the end of the story in the Bible is incorrect?
    Give 'Fear & Trembling' (Kierkegaard) a try one day; it's short and if nothing else you may catch the virus of Kierkegaardian form.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:13
    Give 'Fear & Trembling' (Kierkegaard) a try one day; it's short and if nothing else you may catch the virus of Kierkegaardian form.
    I remember reading this some time ago during a discussion about Camus and the Myth of Sisyphus. To be fair, I don't remember much of it now... 😳
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:13
    I remember reading this some time ago during a discussion about Camus and the Myth of Sisyphus. To be fair, I don't remember much of it now... 😳
    Maybe you have immunity.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:15
    It doesn't bother me; I'm just surprised.

Presumably you're interested in how the mind functions; shamanism sheds light on that (and many other topics).

I'd be interested to know which of your interests you think wouldn't interest me; I'm fairly certain I'm interested in them all, although perhaps not to the same degree in every case.

Try me.
    I don't have to try you. This is not a contest.

I would be more surprised if we were equal in all our interests, that would certainly surprise me.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:21
    Maybe you have immunity.
    I remember liking it. I guess I just have to read it again...
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:22
    I don't have to try you. This is not a contest.

I would be more surprised if we were equal in all our interests, that would certainly surprise me.
    How will we ever find out?
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:23
    I too hear voices inside my head. But I know for a fact that these voices is produced by my own brains and iare called thoughts.
    But how do you know they're yours?

More importantly, when the first languages developed and the first humans started to think in "words", how would they interpret these thoughts?
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:33
    I remember liking it. I guess I just have to read it again...
    I don't remember the specifics, just the vertigo induced by the permutating form.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:43
    But how do you know they're yours?

More importantly, when the first languages developed and the first humans started to think in "words", how would they interpret these thoughts?
    If I don't recognice these thoughts as mine, then I would be worried.

I think there's a language before the oral one. Ask a blind person what he dreams about, and do not be surprised if it's not about images. Ask a deaf person if he thinks in spoken words. A language is not only words. Interesting question though.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:47
    If I don't recognice these thoughts as mine, then I would be worried.

I think there's a language before the oral one. Ask a blind person what he dreams about, and do not be surprised if it's not about images. Ask a deaf person if he thinks in spoken words. A language is not only words. Interesting question though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_%28psychology%29
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 11:02
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_%28psychology%29
    Interesting. It says:
    "In psychology, bicameralism is a hypothesis which argues that the human brain once assumed a state known as a bicameral mind in which cognitive functions are divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys."

Note that "speaking" is surrounded with quations marks. Does this mean that it 'speaks' without words, and therefore by other means of communication? Meaning that words are not needed in cognitive activities.

Using words is only one way to communicate.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 11:17
    The vast majority of my thoughts never get put into words. I don't need to talk to blind or deaf people to know that. Even when my thoughts are put into words, that happens after most of the thinking has happened and the words are a kind of summary of the results. In addition to that I am also capable of forming words without directly involving my consciousness. For example I can read a book out loud while thinking of something completely different.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree