1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 15:32
    Matthew 4:7 tells us, "Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’” - While Malachi 3:10 says, “‘Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,’ says the Lord Almighty, ‘and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.’”

So which is it? As an atheist, is it okay for me to test God so as to prove his existence?!

The above Malachi passage uses the Hebrew word 'bachan' for “test.” (Who's meaning we can best translate as “to examine, 'scrutinize' or 'prove.' ) Would it therefore not be acceptable for me, as an unbeliever, to ask God to 'prove' His existence to me in some kind of a test?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 16:09
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Matthew 4:7 tells us, "Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’” - While Malachi 3:10 says, “‘Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,’ says the Lord Almighty, ‘and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much bless ...[text shortened]... able for me, as an unbeliever, to ask God to 'prove' His existence to me in some kind of a test?
    Depends, are you are righteous atheist or an unrighteous atheist ?
    God hears the righteous only.
    His ears are turned away from the unrighteous.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 17:56
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Depends, are you are righteous atheist or an unrighteous atheist ?
    God hears the righteous only.
    His ears are turned away from the unrighteous.
    Not particularly enamored with the word 'righteous' but for the sake of argument, would you say, that for a 'righteous atheist,' it's okay to test God?

I'm minded of a couple of biblical passages:

John 14:14 - "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it." And:

Romans 10:12 - 'For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him.'
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 18:01
    Not particularly enamored with the word 'righteous' but for the sake of argument, would you say, that for a 'righteous atheist,' it's okay to test God?

I'm minded of a couple of biblical passages:

John 14:14 - "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it." And:

Romans 10:12 - 'For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him.'
    You are safe with Jesus' definition of 'righteous' in Matt 25.
    Its not hard to be righteous.

So give it a shot and tell us if God responds. 🙂
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 19:19
    You are safe with Jesus' definition of 'righteous' in Matt 25.
    Its not hard to be righteous.

So give it a shot and tell us if God responds. 🙂
    I did share previously about a strange 'dream' I had a year or so ago when a hand (quite possibly God's) reached down towards me from the sky. (No, I didn't reach up to grab it, or at least have no memory of doing so). - Theists will probably read a lot into this (I believe sonship did last time) but you need to keep in mind that due to my erratic and broken sleep I dream a lot and will often have several completely separate dreams in the course of one night. (Many of them odd).

So, I will hereby test God and ask that (if He exists) He reaches out again to me tonight in one of my dreams. - Now, as it is entirely possible I will subconsciously influence my own dream, I will also ask that He reaches out to my wife in her dream as well (something I will not tell her about, so as not to influence her dreams in any way).

If we both dream tonight of God reaching out to us He will have passed the test and I will report this faithfully back here tomorrow.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 20:38
    I did share previously about a strange 'dream' I had a year or so ago when a hand (quite possibly God's) reached down towards me from the sky. (No, I didn't reach up to grab it, or at least have no memory of doing so). - Theists will probably read a lot into this (I believe sonship did last time) but you need to keep in mind that due to my erratic a ...[text shortened]... ing out to us He will have passed the test and I will report this faithfully back here tomorrow.
    Well sonship and his type will make a big hullabaloo about such things. Chances are that your dream has nothing at all to do with God contacting you. If it happens often then you should get worried [or excited]. What God dislikes is ultimatums like .. contact me or I will kill myself. Some have done it like that and you know what happened ... 😀
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 20:48

What God dislikes is ultimatums like .. contact me or I will kill myself. Some have done it like that and you know what happened ... 😀
    I'm hoping the answer is:

God sent them a box of doughnuts.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 22:02
    I'm hoping the answer is:

God sent them a box of doughnuts.
    I dont think so. I actually know someone who did that. A young guy got mixed up with some Pentecostal born again foolishness. Apparently the pastor told him that he has the Holy Spirit and anything he asks God will grant him. Well he decided to demonstrate that he can drink poison like the bible says and live. No box of doughnuts for him.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 11:28
    Testing god?

Give him a SATS test.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 23:42
    I believe you mean the Lord. God is a belief system, albeit a positive one
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 23:49
    I did share previously about a strange 'dream' I had a year or so ago when a hand (quite possibly God's) reached down towards me from the sky. (No, I didn't reach up to grab it, or at least have no memory of doing so). - Theists will probably read a lot into this (I believe sonship did last time) but you need to keep in mind that due to my erratic a ...[text shortened]... ing out to us He will have passed the test and I will report this faithfully back here tomorrow.
    Sooooo???

Did God reach out to you and your wife??

Are you now a theist? With no more talk of banquets?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 06:45
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    Sooooo???

Did God reach out to you and your wife??

Are you now a theist? With no more talk of banquets?
    No. 2 possibilities:

1. God doesn't exist.
    2. God doesn't respond to tests by arrogant atheists.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 14:26
    Matthew 4:7 tells us, "Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’” - While Malachi 3:10 says, “‘Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,’ says the Lord Almighty, ‘and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much bless ...[text shortened]... able for me, as an unbeliever, to ask God to 'prove' His existence to me in some kind of a test?
    I think it’s OK to test God to see if he is faithful. But testing God in sinful ways is a different way of testing God.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 14:46
    No. 2 possibilities:

1. God doesn't exist.
    No disrespect, but I'm going with 2.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 16:33
    No. 2 possibilities:

1. God doesn't exist.
    Darn, I was hoping God would 'speak' to you. Oh well.

And I agree with Suzianne and option #2.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree