1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 17:41
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]Good question. The thing is, according to Judaism you are still Jewish even if you don't follow the rules so according to Judaism, Jesus was jewish until his dying day.

But this is not just about rules; it's about beliefs. A Jewish man may disregard all the commandments ibut can a Jewish man deny the legitimacy of those commandments, and the reli ...[text shortened]... ribbles asked whether Jesus converted, I don't think he was referring to cultural Judaism.[/b]
    but can a Jewish man deny the legitimacy of those commandments, and the religious beliefs attached, and still be called a Jew?

According to Jewish law, yes.

I would say Jesus ceased to be a religious jew at some point when he came up with his new self-centered religion, but according to jewish law he was still a Jew technically.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 18:13
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I would say Jesus ceased to be a religious jew at some point when he came up with his new self-centered religion, but according to jewish law he was still a Jew technically.
    When Jesus ceased to be a religious jew, what did he became? The very word 'christian' was not invented in those days.
  3. SEMO
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 19:43
    Originally posted by Badwater
    He's not Christian, he's a Jewish rabbi. From a Christological point of view it takes his death and resurrection for Jesus of Nazareth to become the Christ. It's not like "Christ" is his last name. Whether he refers to himself as the Son of Man has nothing to do with his self-identity as a Jew.
    Christians are those who fallow the teaching of Jesus Christ. So how then can you say Christ was not Christian?

1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
    1Pe 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
    1Pe 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Act 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
    Act 26:29 And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 19:50
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When Jesus ceased to be a religious jew, what did he became? The very word 'christian' was not invented in those days.
    He became something that didn't have that label yet.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 19:58
    He became something that didn't have that label yet.
    "Hello, I'm Jesus, I'm a ... don't know..." 😀
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 20:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "Hello, I'm Jesus, I'm a ... don't know..." 😀
    "Hello, I'm Jesus and if you eat my flesh you'll go to heaven"

That sounds like a pick up line 😉
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 01:08
    but can a Jewish man deny the legitimacy of those commandments, and the religious beliefs attached, and still be called a Jew?

What Jewish law?
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 02:452 edits
    Originally posted by Badwater
    For the most part, Protestant Christianity believes in a Triune expression of God, not a Trinity.
    This is just parsing. Judaism admits of only a singular expression of God. The idea that a Jew
    would profess a Triune understanding of God is as contradictory as a Christian professing that
    Jesus didn't exist.

Nemesio
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 21:54
    What Jewish law?
    That if you are born are converted into Judaism then you remain one.

Sorry I don't have a verse or specific reference.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 01:13
    That if you are born are converted into Judaism then you remain one.

Sorry I don't have a verse or specific reference.
    Did this law exist at the time of Jesus?
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 01:34
    Did this law exist at the time of Jesus?
    Maybe. Why is it important to you to say he wasn't Jewish?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 02:16
    Maybe. Why is it important to you to say he wasn't Jewish?
    It's not important. He could have been Jewish; but if the gospels are a reliable historical record, I don't see calling him Jewish as very meaningful.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 02:25
    It's not important. He could have been Jewish; but if the gospels are a reliable historical record, I don't see calling him Jewish as very meaningful.
    I agree that it's not meaningful.

It's more often that people call him "the king of the jews" and stuff like that and christians seem to claim him as being jewish pretty often in my experience at least.
  14. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 02:45

I would not say that Jesus stopped becoming a religious Jew at any point during his lifetime. He practiced a branch of Judaism, as did John the Baptizer. It's safe to say they were not orthodox Jews but they were Jews, nonetheless.
  15. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 02:50
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    This is just parsing. Judaism admits of only a singular expression of God. The idea that a Jew
    would profess a Triune understanding of God is as contradictory as a Christian professing that
    Jesus didn't exist.

Nemesio
    It is not parsing; there is a clear distinction between a belief in the Trinity or in a Triune God. Since both theologies came about after the death of Jesus, your question posing whether Jesus believed in a Trinity strikes me as being illogical.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree