1. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 03:01
    In Matt 22, Christ condemns the Sadducees for not knowing that there is no marriage in the kingdom, and says they dont know the scripture. Is there some part of our Old Testament that explains this ? I cant seem to find it.

For Christ to say they dont know the scripture, it must mean that such a teaching is contained in the scriptures of that time.
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 03:50
    One thing I do remember is that the Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection of the dead. I'm wondering if this was why they asked the question in the first place.

Manny
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 09:441 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    In Matt 22, Christ condemns the Sadducees for not knowing that there is no marriage in the kingdom, and says they dont know the scripture. Is there some part of our Old Testament that explains this ? I cant seem to find it.

For Christ to say they dont know the scripture, it must mean that such a teaching is contained in the scriptures of that time.
    What would the scriptures of christs' time be? This is something that has eluded my criousity over the years. Does anyone have any idea?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 10:03

and maybe the other scriptures mention nothing of this issue.

i wouldn't worry too much about these things. simply get the bigger picture and move on.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 10:14
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    and maybe the other scriptures mention nothing of this issue.

i wouldn't worry too much about these things. simply get the bigger picture and move on.
    I have the big picture. Thats why I am moving on .. 🙂
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 10:16
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    What would the scriptures of christs' time be? This is something that has eluded my criousity over the years. Does anyone have any idea?
    I think its the Septuagint or something similar. Wiki has an article on it, and its does appear to have many books which are left out of our OT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 11:13
    I have the big picture. Thats why I am moving on .. 🙂
    then what is this thread about?
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 11:472 edits

==============================
    =========================================

That's an interesting question.

But I would look carefully at the passage. He said that they did not know the Scritpures or the power of God. Some of their ignorance was because of not knowing the Scripture. Some of their ignorance was because of not knowing the power of God.

Now which kind of ignorance was he refering to, (or if both), when He refered them to the nature of men and women in the resurrection ?

It could be that He was scolding them for not knowing a particular truth in the Old Testament that would have informed them of this.

It also could conceivably be that they did not appreciate "the power of God" to maintain a world in which the saved no longer marry and reproduce.

"You err, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry or are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven." (vs.29,30)

At the moment I cannot think of passage in the OT about absence of marriage in the resurrection. There is not that much about the resurrection.

In the passage Christ's way of expounding the Scripture is surprising.

'But concerning the reusrrection of the dead, have you not read that which was spoken to you by God, saying,

"I am the God of Abraham and the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob"? He is not the God of the dead, but of the living.' (vs.31,32)

He drew their attention not to an event in the future but to God Himself now. He is the God of the living. The God of resurrection is now and is the God of the living. Of course this strongly implies that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob would be resurrected. Abraham had two wives - Sarah and Keturah. It did not stop God from being the God of resurrection, the God of the living.

Jesus expounded the Scriptures not just according to the letter, but according to the life and power implied within them.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 11:52
    Is our modern Bible complete?
    I would rather ask:
    "Is our complete bible modern?"

I think it's obsolete, and has been that for a numerous of centruies.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 14:13

Matt

28 In the resurrection therefore whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

29 But Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven.

I believe according to Jesus' answer it was the Sadducees that were suggesting
    something not in scripture, which was that there was marriage in heaven between
    men and women.
    Kelly
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 20:31
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]==============================
    =========================================

That's an interesting question.

But I ...[text shortened]... just according to the letter, but according to the life and power implied within them.[/b]
    Thanks .. if you do come across any info about the actual scriptures that was used in those days it would be nice to have an idea which books are not now included in our OT. Not that it will make any difference to our basic doctrine...
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 20:40
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Matt

28 In the resurrection therefore whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

29 But Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven.

I believe according to Jesus' answer ...[text shortened]... ng not in scripture, which was that there was marriage in heaven between
    men and women.
    Kelly
    If the scriptures said nothing about the state one is in upon resurrection then the assumption made by the Sadducees does not seem all that out of line. Does not seem to warrant such a strong condemnation from Christ. There must be more to the story.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 13:401 edit
    If the scriptures said nothing about the state one is in upon resurrection then the assumption made by the Sadducees does not seem all that out of line. Does not seem to warrant such a strong condemnation from Christ. There must be more to the story.
    Adding to or taking away isn't a wise thing.
    Where do you think they got their views about resurrection?
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 13:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Adding to or taking away isn't a wise thing.
    Where do you think they got their views about resurrection?
    Kelly
    but there are numerous texts left out of the bible. the dead sea scrolls, some books that are in the catholic bible and not in the protestant or in the orthodox. the alledged gospels of Philip, Thomas. The rumored gospels of judas, magdalene. who gets to decide what goes in and what goes out? and why can't we decide this now, when we have a better understanding of the text and the world has changed.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 23:064 edits
    Thanks .. if you do come across any info about the actual scriptures that was used in those days it would be nice to have an idea which books are not now included in our OT. Not that it will make any difference to our basic doctrine...
    When I was interested in exploring this subject matter this book was recommended to me -

"A General Introduction to the Bible" by Norman L. Geisler and William E. Nix, published by Moody Press.

To spark your interest here are some of the chapter headings in this 480 page book:

Chapters 10 - 15 -

Determination of Canonicity
    Development and History of the Old Testament Canon
    The Old Testament Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha
    Development and History of the New Testament Canon
    The New Testament Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha

The book paid for itself many times over. And I have two copies of it, one of which I have owned for decades. This is the book I would recommend that you add to your library.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree