1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    27 Sep '13 13:27
    It is just simple theft or is there more to it from a theological viewpoint?

    http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    27 Sep '13 14:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It is just simple theft or is there more to it from a theological viewpoint?

    http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/
    Theft is theft.

    Plain and simple.

    It doesn't matter what gets stolen.

    Thieves are the lowest of the low.

    I would give them the death penalty.

    Failing that I would make sure that the prison they are in was not a holiday camp.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    27 Sep '13 14:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It is just simple theft or is there more to it from a theological viewpoint?

    http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/
    Whilst the theists ponder this, it brings to mind the story of the enthusiastic undergraduate who presents his essay to his professor for marking.

    It comes back with 'All excellent, apart from one small punctuation error.'

    He turns to his professor and asks him what silly mistake he made.

    'Oh' muses the don ' I thought it was obvious. You just forgot the quotation marks at the beginning and the end.'
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    6830
    27 Sep '13 14:26
    Thanks for posting that interesting link sonhouse. I suppose that Kristal Singletary woman got some sort of kick from passing off stories that she liked as her own, a bit like those players on this site who pass off the work of Fritz and Houdini as their own.

    I guess if you're not very good at anything and perhaps come from a family of losers and deadbeats, then you'll resort to anything to get a bit of respect from people, even if you know, deep down, that it's thoroughly undeserved. A better path would be to actually achieve something through hard work and dedication.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86378
    27 Sep '13 14:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It is just simple theft or is there more to it from a theological viewpoint?

    http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/
    It's not really theological, it's more of a moral question. But theft is theft.

    You see it here in the forum quite often, especially from the Jehovah's Witneses, dasa and RJHinds who plagarise frequently and have been repeatedly called out over it.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    27 Sep '13 14:57
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Thanks for posting that interesting link sonhouse. I suppose that Kristal Singletary woman got some sort of kick from passing off stories that she liked as her own, a bit like those players on this site who pass off the work of Fritz and Houdini as their own.

    I guess if you're not very good at anything and perhaps come from a family of losers and deadbea ...[text shortened]... deserved. A better path would be to actually achieve something through hard work and dedication.
    There is this song by Tom Lehrer, Lobachevsky:

    Don't let anything evade your eyes, but PLAGAIRIZE PLAGAIRIZE PLAGAIRIZE!

    YouTube
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    6830
    27 Sep '13 15:00
    I found a competition that Kristal Singletary won back in 2007:
    http://valleyofthesunrw.com/hot-prospects-contest/previous-contest-winners/
    Division: ROMANTIC SUSPENSE
    1st Place: Wilderness Mafia by Kristal Hinds Singletary
    I suppose the story that won that competition might have been her own work, but I'd be inclined to think not.
  8. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    27 Sep '13 15:27
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Theft is theft.

    Plain and simple.

    It doesn't matter what gets stolen.

    Thieves are the lowest of the low.

    I would give them the death penalty.

    Failing that I would make sure that the prison they are in was not a holiday camp.
    For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matthew 6:14-15 KJV)http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/newthread.php?forumid=23
  9. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    27 Sep '13 15:301 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It is just simple theft or is there more to it from a theological viewpoint?

    http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/
    Of all the sins mentioned in the Bible, this one will be considered too petty to even call a sin. It is the one that Christ would have a good laugh at and shake his head with disbelief that people make such a big fuss over that when they commit greater sins without batting an eyelid.

    If anyone thinks a sin is a sin and all are ranked equally is a moron.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    27 Sep '13 16:321 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Of all the sins mentioned in the Bible, this one will be considered too petty to even call a sin. It is the one that Christ would have a good laugh at and shake his head with disbelief that people make such a big fuss over that when they commit greater sins without batting an eyelid.

    If anyone thinks a sin is a sin and all are ranked equally is a moron.
    What sins are justified in the quest to save a soul?
  11. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    27 Sep '13 17:42
    Originally posted by JS357
    What sins are justified in the quest to save a soul?
    Im not sure that there is such a thing as a justifiable sin in the Bible. There are understandable sins and forgiveable sins and petty sins.
  12. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    708
    27 Sep '13 18:00
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Theft is theft.

    Plain and simple.

    It doesn't matter what gets stolen.

    Thieves are the lowest of the low.

    I would give them the death penalty.

    Failing that I would make sure that the prison they are in was not a holiday camp.
    Doesn't the bible say something about making theifs work for what they stole instead of imprisoning them?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    27 Sep '13 18:01
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Im not sure that there is such a thing as a justifiable sin in the Bible. There are understandable sins and forgiveable sins and petty sins.
    Maybe we can explore it this way:

    What sins are understandable or forgivable, or can be regarded as petty, if committed in the quest to save a soul?

    Behind this question is the thought that saving a soul has been held to be of such value by some, that pretty intense things have been done for its sake.
  14. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    27 Sep '13 18:061 edit
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Doesn't the bible say something about making theifs work for what they stole instead of imprisoning them?
    Now that makes sense and it is part of the Law of Moses. For anyone to think that theft deserves the death penalty they have to be pretty sick.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    27 Sep '13 18:07
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Im not sure that there is such a thing as a justifiable sin in the Bible. There are understandable sins and forgiveable sins and petty sins.
    I would think that you can steal some food that isn't yours if you're starving to death. I would call that justifiable theft.
Back to Top