Is the Holy Bible relevant to today's world?

Is the Holy Bible relevant to today's world?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by vistesd
[b]I don't think I said that it describes every action. I do repeat that I challenge anyone to deny they have no experience of such a matter.

Okay. As I said, in that limited sense I think it is—at least in my experience—accurate.

It may not be as applicable to your experience as you were not a zealous Jew, as Paul was trying hard to keep the l ...[text shortened]... te” (whether attributed to divine agency or not) can absolve one of basic self-responsibility.
There are quite a few discussions going on on this Forum and elsewhere which involve things in the Bible.

The relevancy of the book to modern times, I think, contributes to this activity.

The sent one up into outer space to be read by astronauts circling around the planet. Somebody a NASA must have thought it was relevant to today.

The Bible does tell us in quite an economical way many crucial matters that people would like to know:

1.) The origin of the stars and the planet earth.

2.) The origin of animals and plants on the earth.

3.) The origin of human beings on the earth.

4.) The purpose for which man was made to exist.

5.) The reason for man's moral fall.

6.) The origin of the institution of marriage.

7.) The history of the first murder.

8.) The first man-made religion.

9.) The origin of the first human city.

10.) The origin of the different human languages.

11.) The origin of the spread of people across the face of the earth.

You also have the invention of industry.

We are told of the invention of musical performance.

We are told of the invention of agriculture.

We are told of the reaction of God to the downward moral fall of society.

We are told of a way of salvation and rescue of man and animals, and a new beginning.

When I was a strong skeptic of the Bible, my father, who was a liberal Presbyterian Theology teacher, didn't force anything on me. He did say that the Bible was relevant because it had its hands on too much truth.

And until someone comes along who out shines the moral power and character of Jesus Christ, the Bible will continue to be relevant to modern times.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
28 Aug 07
3 edits

Originally posted by jaywill
There are quite a few discussions going on on this Forum and elsewhere which involve things in the Bible.

The relevancy of the book to modern times, I think, contributes to this activity.

The sent one up into outer space to be read by astronauts circling around the planet. Somebody a NASA must have thought it was relevant to today.

The Bible d l power and character of Jesus Christ, the Bible will continue to be relevant to modern times.
I should have been clear, jaywill. I am not arguing that Biblical scripture per se cannot be relevant today, any more than I would argue that the Tao Te Ching cannot. We may differ on how that relevance "works", but I was only addressing your challenge--and that only to the extent to which it might be construed more broadly than you were apparently presenting it.

If that addresses your question about a set of keys...

If not, I'll bite. Yes I have a set of keys. 🙂

my father, who was a liberal Presbyterian Theology teacher

A source of your exegetical talents? (No tongue in cheek there.)

He did say that the Bible was relevant because it had its hands on too much truth.

Without getting into a discussion here about "which truths" (and exegesis and interpretation generally), I'll agree with that.

j

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by vistesd
I should have been clear, jaywill. I am not arguing that Biblical scripture per se cannot be relevant today, any more than I would argue that the Tao Te Ching cannot. We may differ on how that relevance "works", but I was only addressing your challenge--and that only to the extent to which it might be construed more broadly than you were apparently ...[text shortened]... re about "which truths" (and exegesis and interpretation generally), I'll agree with that.
I'm not quite sure of what you are saying above. But according to Christ His words and the significance of them would outlast the physical universe:

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words shall by no means pass away." (Matt. 24:35)

Jesus says that His words are more steadfast and lasting than the heavens and the earth. So beleive that they are significant for today as well.

He also told His disciples that He is with them until the consummation of the age.

"And behold, I am with you even until the consummation of the age" (Matt. 28:20b). So until the conclusion of the age until His second coming Immanuel - "God with us" says that He is with us until then. So I consider His words significant today.

The Apostle Paul wrote in a certain age. He said that the highest name was the name of Jesus Christ, not only in that age but also in the age to follow that age:

Christ, Paul says is "Far above all rule and authority and power and lordship and every name that is named not only in this age but also in that which is to come." (Eph. 1:21)

Christ and His words are relevant therefore in Paul's age and in the age following that age. In fact the Triune desires to display His surpassing riches in (plural) ages to come - "That He might display in the ages to come the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:7).

So in that age, in the age to come after that age, and even to the ages Christ's Person and words and work are relevant.

So this is why the gospel of Christ is according to "the eternal purpose."

"According to the eternal purpose which He [God] made in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Eph. 3:11).

The eternal purpose is a never ending purpose. So its relevancy does not stop in any human age. His words will last longer than the heavens and the earth.

The gospel has made known to man the mystery of God's will. So as long as God has His will the gospel is relevant:

"Making known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Himself ... "(Eph. 1:9)

And the work of the gospel of Christ operates unto a climax in "the fullness of the times" to bring the entire universe under the headship of the man Jesus Christ:

"Unto the economy of the fullness of the times, to head up all things in Christ, the things in the heavens and the things on earth, in Him" (Eph. 1:20)

So until every leaf, every blade of grass, every atom, not to mention all human beings are headed up under the headship Jesus Christ His words are relevant to operate in men and women towards that glorious goal.

The matter of the keys was just to show how we take for granted that someone will steal or go where they are not suppose to go. This testifies that the stealing nature is running rampant in mankind.

But my intention in this post is to point out that the Bible and its central figure Christ is relevant into eternity really.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
29 Aug 07

I'm not quite sure of what you are saying above. But according to Christ His words and the significance of them would outlast the physical universe:

[b]"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words shall by no means pass away." (Matt. 24:35)

Jesus says that His words are more steadfast and lasting than the heavens and the earth. So beleive th ...[text shortened]... he Bible and its central figure Christ is relevant into eternity really.[/b]
You know, jaywill, you are always something of a “wild card” to me. And that is not meant in any critical sense at all (quite the contrary).

We have argued alongside one another on questions of Christology. Other times, we have simply argued. Sometimes we have simply talked past one another, despite our best intentions. I am still thinking about your thread on “Beyond Going to Heaven.”

I am frankly too spent tonight offer anything else. So I hope you can “listen between the lines” here a bit. 🙂

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
02 Sep 07

Originally posted by IBIJ
Well?
If Jesus actually was who he said he was then absolutely , if he wasn't then no.

s

Moves
15 Sep 07
1 edit

To the Bible is not relevant to today people - I'd like one of you to explain WHY you are here in the universe and what the purpose of your life really is.

If you can't answer, then I recommend that you calm down and listen to what the Bible has to say this year.
Does it have to be a why?
Life's purpose is what you make of it, you don't need any dusty book to impose a meaning to life.

Is the Bible relevant today? I think it is relevant. But I believe it shouldn't (excluding the historical point of view)

j

Moves
15 Sep 07

Originally posted by serigado
Does it have to be a why?
Life's purpose is what you make of it, you don't need any dusty book to impose a meaning to life.

Is the Bible relevant today? I think it is relevant. But I believe it shouldn't (excluding the historical point of view)
Serigo,

I agree that you certainly can make out your own purpose in life.

You can do that and experience some degree of great happiness. In fact you probably have experienced that already.

But the world is passing away. And the things of the world and its vain glory are passing away. He who does the will of God abides forever.

But you do not have to live unto the "eternal purpose". For me I trust Jesus when He said "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all things shall be added to you."

Trust in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

s

Moves
16 Sep 07

Serigo,

I agree that you certainly can make out your own purpose in life.

You can do that and experience some degree of great happiness. In fact you probably have experienced that already.

But the world is passing away. And the things of the world and its vain glory are passing away. He who does the will of God abides forever.

...[text shortened]... added to you."

Trust in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.[/b]
Unfortunately to do that I would to put apart everything I believe and that makes so much sense. I can follow some of the your God's teaching, but only as a moral guide. Giving this away would be entering an altered state of mind, where I must ignore the reality I see and can experience everyday to a new reality, written a book and defended my people who are in that altered state of mind.
You can be happier then me, I know that. BUt I don't want only happiness, I WANT the TRUTH. And I don't believe the truth is written in a man-made book thousands of years ago. You believe that in a book lie the answers, and these answers are the final ones. I must seek in everyday reality that EVERYONE can experience.