1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 02:183 edits
    After reading the "Bible is an idol" thread, it came to me that the Quran seems much more so. In fact, you can't so much as sneeze on one least you be charged with blasphemy. And if you burn one ambassadors around the world will die th next day. Children are forced to memorize it word for word and they go to great lengths in tracing back its origins.

What say you? Does the Quran seem idol like?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 10:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    After reading the "Bible is an idol" thread, it came to me that the Quran seems much more so. In fact, you can't so much as sneeze on one least you be charged with blasphemy. And if you burn one ambassadors around the world will die th next day. Children are forced to memorize it word for word and they go to great lengths in tracing back its origins.

The Holy Bible is not an idol to Christians, but I am not so sure about the Koran or Quran for some Moslems. As you say, they become very hysterical when they think Mohammed or that book is being disrespected, even in tearing a page. So that book seems to have at least been elevated to the status equal to a revered person.

On the other hand, if a page of the Holy Bible were to get torn, we would just tape it or go buy another one, it is no big deal. The Moslems can burn or flush the Holy Bible down the toilet, if they wish and we just print some more.
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 11:41
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Holy Bible is not an idol to Christians, but I am not so sure about the Koran or Quran for some Moslems. As you say, they become very hysterical when they think Mohammed or that book is being disrespected, even in tearing a page. So that book seems to have at least been elevated to the status equal to a revered person.

On the other hand, if a page o ...[text shortened]... lems can burn or flush the Holy Bible down the toilet, if they wish and we just print some more.
    The Holy Bible is not an idol to Christians, but I am not so sure about the Koran or Quran for some Moslems.

I think the Bible is an idol to some Christians, just as the Q'ran is an idol to some Muslims. The response is generally not as extreme with the Bible, but anger and protests would still ensue if you deliberately burned the Bible in some parts of the world. Likewise, there will be some Muslims that would not be too bothered if you were to burn the Q'ran.

--- Penguin.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 12:12
    Originally posted by Penguin
    [b]The Holy Bible is not an idol to Christians, but I am not so sure about the Koran or Quran for some Moslems.

I think the Bible is an idol to some Christians, just as the Q'ran is an idol to some Muslims. The response is generally not as extreme with the Bible, but anger and protests would still ensue if you deliberately burned the Bib ...[text shortened]... be some Muslims that would not be too bothered if you were to burn the Q'ran.

--- Penguin.[/b]
    I am not saying the Koran or Quran is an idol to some Moslems. I am just pointing out that it is closer to being an idol to them than the Holy Bible is to any and all Christians. If the Holy Bible were an idol to any Christians, then why do they not bow down to it, worship it, and pray to it? One would think that any disrespect given to the Holy Bible would cause those Christians to react at least equal to that of the Moslem. I just disagree with what you think. That's all. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 12:541 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    protests would still ensue if you deliberately burned the Bible in some parts of the world..

--- Penguin.[/b]
    I don't agree. Where exactly? Do you think Muslims care about burning the Bible? I would think that it would make them happy.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 12:56
    Let's say a Muslim were walking down a street and he saw two buildings on fire. In one building were a group of Christian Sudanese children and in the other a Quran. Which does he try to save?
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 15:12

Yes.

In general, I'm against the idea that any book or idea is so sacred or important that it's above criticism or questioning. People who take any book that seriously end up stifling the free thought of themselves and others.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 17:431 edit

depends on individual muslims. the ones who do are very vocal (and often violent) when it comes to their idols.

christians have a plethora of idols, so they tend to be more tempered in their response when it comes to the abuse of their idols.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 23:43
    Let's say a Muslim were walking down a street and he saw two buildings on fire. In one building were a group of Christian Sudanese children and in the other a Quran. Which does he try to save?
    Af far as we Christians are concerned, it doesn't really matter what these atheists think, they will be going to Hell anyway, if they continue in wrong thinking and belief. We can only tell them the truth, and it is up to them to believe and repent or continue in sin.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 01:18
    I don't agree. Where exactly? Do you think Muslims care about burning the Bible? I would think that it would make them happy.
    You're an idiot. They respect the Bible as divinely inspired Scripture. They acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah, honor his mother Mary, and respect Moses enormously. A lot of what's in the Bible is also in The Koran.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 01:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [Muslims] acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah, honor his mother Mary, and respect Moses enormously.
    They acknowledge Jesus as a prophet.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 01:57
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If the Holy Bible were an idol to any Christians, then why do they not bow down to it, worship it, and pray to it?
    Does this have something to do with your definition of "idol"?

Muslims do not "worship" the Koran and they do not "pray to it". Did somebody tell you that they do?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 02:211 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    They acknowledge Jesus as a prophet.
    So he says that Muslims acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah and he calls me an idiot? Hilarious.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 02:271 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You're an idiot. They respect the Bible as divinely inspired Scripture. They acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah, honor his mother Mary, and respect Moses enormously. A lot of what's in the Bible is also in The Koran.
    Muslims proport to believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, but the bottom line is that they think it to be corrupted. To them it would be like a copy of the Quran that has been tampered with and verses altered. To burn such a book would probably be looked at in a positive light.

Basically Mohammad comes along some 500 years later after Jesus walked the earth and then "corrected" the Biblical account of Jesus. They proport that Jesus is a prophet just like Mohammad, but when Jesus is blasphemed ambassoders around the world don't start dropping like flies. In truth, Mohammad is held in much higher esteem. Even though they deny Mohammad to be their god, their actions say otherwise in my view because they worship every word and every action the man took or said. No other religious leader or prophet is held in such high regard in Islam. Mohammad is the king of Islam.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 03:22
    So he says that Muslims acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah and he calls me an idiot? Hilarious.
    You drawing attention to ATY's word choice does not disguise the ignorance you exhibit over the status of the Bible within Islamic theology.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree