1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:42
    Consider this. I am a conscious being. When i was born, i was comprised of thousands of atoms which combined together to make me. During the course of my life i have replaced these atoms again and again, yet there is an essense that is non physical that remains (my consciousness). I am now a completely different person (literally) than the one who was born way back in september '78. However, I am the same person.

In effect, i am a consiousness that is capable of manipulating matter to form a functional, working body.

Now, take a look at the Universe (what we can see of it anyway...) Is it so out of the question that a consiousness could manipulate all those atoms to come together to make this vast Space that we inhabit? Forget for a moment the idea of God, etc... I am simply trying to establish if this line of reasoning is valid when deciding whether the Universe itself could be conscious.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:45
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Consider this. I am a conscious being. When i was born, i was comprised of thousands of atoms which combined together to make me. During the course of my life i have replaced these atoms again and again, yet there is an essense that is non physical that remains (my consciousness). I am now a completely different person (literally) than the one who was bo ...[text shortened]... f this line of reasoning is valid when deciding whether the Universe itself could be conscious.
    You'll have to prove your consciousness first.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:481 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You'll have to prove your consciousness first.
    Why?

EDIT:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogito_ergo_sum

There, that's got that over with...
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:06
    Why?

EDIT:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogito_ergo_sum

There, that's got that over with...
    I meant to someone besides yourself.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:08
    I meant to someone besides yourself.
    STOP! Has that got anything to do with my question? NO! Please stick to the flipping topic!!
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:08
    Consider this. I am a conscious being. When i was born, i was comprised of thousands of atoms which combined together to make me. During the course of my life i have replaced these atoms again and again, yet there is an essense that is non physical that remains (my consciousness). I am now a completely different person (literally) than the one who was bo ...[text shortened]... f this line of reasoning is valid when deciding whether the Universe itself could be conscious.
    😴
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:10
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    😴
    Oh forget it, i should have known betterthan to post in this forum anyway!
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:11
    STOP! Has that got anything to do with my question? NO! Please stick to the flipping topic!!
    You asked people to consider this. In considering this, I am asking for your proof of your consciousness in order for me to consider the rest of your "suggestions."
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:14
    Oh forget it, i should have known betterthan to post in this forum anyway!
    🙄
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:16
    You asked people to consider this. In considering this, I am asking for your proof of your consciousness in order for me to consider the rest of your "suggestions."
    No, you're being facetious. You know full well that is unanswerable! Why not address the question?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:21
    No, you're being facetious. You know full well that is unanswerable! Why not address the question?
    Not at all. A clear definition and proof of your self-proclaimed consciousness (okay, that was a bit punny) is required to move forward. Even more so, when your consideration wishes to remove God from the equation as a possible cause.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:22
    Seems possible. Care to build on this?
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:24
    Not at all. A clear definition and proof of your self-proclaimed consciousness (okay, that was a bit punny) is required to move forward. Even more so, when your consideration wishes to remove God from the equation as a possible cause.
    Take my consciousness as given. I want you to find fault in my reasoning.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:24
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Seems possible. Care to build on this?
    I do, but i'm at work. Give me a coupleof hours and i'll expand...
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:28
    Take my consciousness as given. I want you to find fault in my reasoning.
    I cannot. The atoms which were arranged (sounds like action to me, but we'll ignore that for now) to form a fetus: did they have this consciousness?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree