It is possible

It is possible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
10 Sep 15
2 edits

*It is possible that God revealed himself to the Jews through Moses and the Torah.

*It is possible that God revealed himself to the Gentiles through Jesus and the New Testament.

*It is possible that God revealed himself through the Arab and African tribes through Mohammed and the Quran.

It is possible that all of this came from the same God. 🙂

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Sep 15

Originally posted by bill718
*It is possible that God revealed himself to the Jews through Moses and the Torah.

*It is possible that God revealed himself to the Gentiles through Jesus and the New Testament.

*It is possible that God revealed himself through the Arab and African tribes through Mohammed and the Quran.

No, no, no and no. ALL religions are hierarchical. That means a single supposedly special person has been supposedly selected by this god to tell the rest of humanity how things are supposed to go.

Of course those religious leaders at the top of the totem pole conveniently forget to mention there was no special person to tell the same tale to the Siberians, to the Amazon tribesmen, to the Mongolians and so forth, so you are supposed to take the word of that special person and start a religion in the middle of some desert where you are instructed to go out and convert people, sometimes with violence.

Like a real deity would ever set up such a cruel system that children would be killed because their parents belong to some other enemy religion.

Moral codes simply come from people projecting what a theoretical deity would decide is just and moral. Funny thing is, that morality varies from town to town, country to country.

It seems these deity types have been remiss in their duties, telling one set of folks its ok to kill THAT bunch of people because they have THAT disgusting religion while at the same time, THAT disgusting religion is telling exactly the same of that other supposedly TRUE religion.

If a deity set something like that up, it is clearly insane or simply wishes to off the entire human race as a bad design with something better to come after.

And of course the religious leaders say, THAT OTHER religion is led by a demon who fools people, while the sad truth is BOTH religions are just means to gain control of people, that is to say, just another political ploy,

Doing HUMAN stuff, not godly stuff a real god would NEVER do.

And of course said religious ones, especially the ones duped by all this would say 'so now you know the mind of god', thinking they have issued such an invective as to forever defeat such naysayers. What they really are saying is they are just one of the billions of the duped,

Moves
11 Sep 15

One deserves to have this considered in light of the various kinds of possibility. But you are probably (which entails possibly) on good ground here. This thread is unlikely (which does not entail possibly, as all impossible things are unlikely) to go in so difficult a direction.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
11 Sep 15
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
No, no, no and no. ALL religions are hierarchical. That means a single supposedly special person has been supposedly selected by this god to tell the rest of humanity how things are supposed to go.

Of course those religious leaders at the top of the totem pole conveniently forget to mention there was no special person to tell the same tale to the Siberia ...[text shortened]... t such naysayers. What they really are saying is they are just one of the billions of the duped,
Sorry you have a problem with this. I did not present this as a statement of fact. I only said it is possible...And frankly, I think it is.

Moves
11 Sep 15
1 edit

Sorry you have a problem with this. I did not wish to present this as a statement of fact. I only said it is possible...And frankly, I think it is.
And there is a technical difference between possibility and conceivability.

http://consc.net/papers/conceivability.html

F

Moves
11 Sep 15
1 edit

Three groups on Earth, looking up at the moon. One believes it is part of the Earth that broke off at some point. Another believes it is a tiny planet in its own right that got trapped in an orbit around the much bigger Earth. The third group thinks it is an asteroid of some kind. All three believe that they are looking at something different and, to a degree, describe it using different concepts. In fact, they are all looking at exactly the same thing.

edit: I originally posted this on a thread called "The Three Abrahamic Religions".

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
Three groups on Earth, looking up at the moon. One believes it is part of the Earth that broke off at some point. Another believes it is a tiny planet in its own right that got trapped in an orbit around the much bigger Earth. The third group thinks it is an asteroid of some kind. All three believe that they are looking at something different and, to a degree, d ...[text shortened]... ame thing.

edit: I originally posted this on a thread called "The Three Abrahamic Religions".
A retelling of the blind men feeling an elephant tale.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Sep 15

Originally posted by JS357
And there is a technical difference between possibility and conceivability.

http://consc.net/papers/conceivability.html
And there is another difference, often larger, between possibility and what is.

F

Moves
11 Sep 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
A retelling of the blind men feeling an elephant tale.
I think my little tale of people gazing up into the heavens works better! 😉

Moves
11 Sep 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
And there is another difference, often larger, between possibility and what is.
Limited perhaps only by the imagination...

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Sep 15

Originally posted by JS357
One deserves to have this considered in light of the various kinds of possibility. But you are probably (which entails possibly) on good ground here. This thread is unlikely (which does not entail possibly, as all impossible things are unlikely) to go in so difficult a direction.
“The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks. How often have you been presented with an apparently rational explanation of something that works in all respects other than one, which is just that it is hopelessly improbable? Your instinct is to say, 'Yes, but he or she simply wouldn't do that.”
Douglas Adams

No impossible things are not unlikely they are impossible, which is quite different than
something improbable.

Moves
11 Sep 15
2 edits

Originally posted by KellyJay
“The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks. How often have you been presented with an apparently rational explanation of something that works in all respects other than one, which is just that it is hopelessly improbable? Your instinct is to say, 'Yes, but he or she simply wouldn't do that.”
Douglas Adams

No i ...[text shortened]... gs are not unlikely they are impossible, which is quite different than
something improbable.
He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.
Douglas Adams

Cape Town

Moves
11 Sep 15

No, it is not possible. Your three statements suggest the the god in question 'revealed himself'. Given that the three different 'revelations' are clearly quite different, either the god in question lied to at least two of the groups (and thus did not 'reveal himself'😉 or there were three different gods, or two or more of the 'revelations' were made up.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
12 Sep 15

None of this is possible.

God does not reveal himself to persons, only to be the front man for an animal slaughtering false religion.

God has nothing to do with any doctrine that supports and defends animal cruelty and slaughter and flesh eating..

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
12 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
Three groups on Earth, looking up at the moon. One believes it is part of the Earth that broke off at some point. Another believes it is a tiny planet in its own right that got trapped in an orbit around the much bigger Earth. The third group thinks it is an asteroid of some kind. All three believe that they are looking at something different and, to a degree, d ...[text shortened]... ame thing.

It also reminds me of the scientific symposium where the Big Bang is the subject, and all the scientists have come up with 10 different possible concepts of what the Big Bang actually is.

This is what always happens with a theory.