Jehovah's Witnesses Refuse to Serve in the Military

Jehovah's Witnesses Refuse to Serve in the Military

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
02 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
It does not matter if it is a circle, a triangle, or a square. What matters is
that it is the truth. They deny the Christian doctrines from the past that
came about a long time before the Jehovah's Witnesses came into existence.
That makes them anti-christian.
I disagree. Clearly, if they follow Christ then they are Christians. There are a wide range of doctrines and traditions within Christianity. Good for you that you feel really strong commitment to the one you have chosen. But accusing other Christians of believing in Satanic doctrines - because their Christian belief system deviates from yours - reflects really poorly on you.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
Well, whether you feel the need to exhibit basic common decency towards me or not is irrelevant. Your bluster does not disguise the fact that you are using a circular argument, i.e. you say they are not Christians because you say that Christians are not like they are.
RJH's circular reasoning aside, he is quite correct in saying that JW's are not Christian. They flatly deny core Christian beliefs. They deny the incarnation of the almighty in the personage of Jesus Christ, they are not monothiestic, and they do not beleive in salvation by grace. Forget RJH's reasons, these are the reasons they are not Christian (and more).

F

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by Doward
RJH's circular reasoning aside, he is quite correct in saying that JW's are not Christian. They flatly deny core Christian beliefs. They deny the incarnation of the almighty in the personage of Jesus Christ, they are not monothiestic, and they do not beleive in salvation by grace. Forget RJH's reasons, these are the reasons they are not Christian (and more).
Well the fact that you don't agree with JW doctrine does not mean they are not Christians. You are using a circular argument. The fact you are trying to doll it up with reference to your personal points of disagreement means little or nothing. Do they follow Christ? Yes. Do all Christians do so in accordance with the same doctrines? No. Are you using the word "core" subjectively? Yes.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Nov 11

We deny these core beliefs that most Christian religions believe because they are man made doctrines and are not taught in the Bible. A very simple truthful point.

rc

Moves
02 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Well the fact that you don't agree with JW doctrine does not mean they are not Christians. You are using a circular argument. The fact you are trying to doll it up with reference to your personal points of disagreement means little or nothing. Do they follow Christ? Yes. Do all Christians do so in accordance with the same doctrines? No. Are you using the word "core" subjectively? Yes.
Words so succinctly expressed and with a clarity which captures the very essence of thought I have yet to come across in RHP forums as this, recd.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
I disagree. Clearly, if they follow Christ then they are Christians. There are a wide range of doctrines and traditions within Christianity. Good for you that you feel really strong commitment to the one you have chosen. But accusing other Christians of believing in Satanic doctrines - because their Christian belief system deviates from yours - reflects really poorly on you.
The difference is that you believe they are Christian, but I don't for
the reasons I have stated.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
You apparently do not know that the Jehovah's Witnesses are the master
of the circular agruments.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Nov 11

It could be a circular quandary to ones who don't understand. To us that do, it's crystal clear.

F

Moves
02 Nov 11

All religionists are "masters of circular arguments". The particular one that you are using does not and cannot turn Christians into 'non-Christians'.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
It is most certainly not a circular argument, I plainly stated why they are not Christians. Any deviation from those doctrines means one is NOT a Christian. The doctrines I cited are accepted in all denominations of Christianity as core essential beliefs to be considered Christian...EXCEPT for the JW's.

That being said, I admire there non-violence stand

F

Moves
02 Nov 11

It is most certainly not a circular argument, I plainly stated why they are not Christians. Any deviation from those doctrines means one is NOT a Christian. The doctrines I cited are accepted in all denominations of Christianity as core essential beliefs to be considered Christian...EXCEPT for the JW's.
Your argument could be cited in a textbook on logical fallacies as an example of circular argument. You are basically saying that they are not Christians because you don't consider them to be Christians and that the fact that you don't consider them to be Christians proves your point that they are not Christians.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
02 Nov 11

That being said, I admire there non-violence stand
I wonder if Christ gets to decide who is Christian and who is not?
Maybe you should relinquish some of your apparent authority and let Christ decide who are the Christians. I bet he will use His own criteria and not what popular contemporary Christianity preaches?
And his own criteria for being a Christian must be what the apostles of the first Christian church preached, becuase he sent those apostles to preach to the Gentiles.
And as far as I can recall Paul, Peter and other apostles taught the following :
- believe in Christ who is the Son of God, who came to die for our sins.
- repent and be baptised
- live a God-fearing life
Thats the bare minimum for being a Christian, and I can support that with crystal clear passages from Paul and others.

I doubt you can support your stance with crystal clear verses from Paul and the other apostles.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
03 Nov 11

Unlike the Jehovah's Witnesses who refuse to serve in the military Desmond
Doss, a seventh Day Adventist, served as a conscientious objecter in the U.S.
Army assigned to the Medical Detachment, 307th Infantry, 77th Infantry Division.

He was the first conscientious objector to receive the Medal of Honor.

After a heavy concentration of artillery, morta ...[text shortened]... allantry far above and beyond the call of duty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss
While this man probably did not want any glory or recognition for his deeds this is just plain bad ass!!!! Also what Christ would do!!!

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
03 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
Well you do seem to be defending this thread, then. If you condemn the JWs for doing it, why haven't you condemned RJHinds for doing it?
I think it goes both ways and both sides are guilty to some extent.

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
03 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
So this is a good government?
Overall yes we have a good government 🙂
Flaws and all

Manny