1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 04:38
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    And I suppose this is not your standard "same old same old off-topic diatribe", right?
    Jacob-Verville said: "Perhaps some other people here could comment on their experiences [of alcoholism]." People who might be inclined to comment would do well to note how Jacob-Verville likes his Mark Levin-type generic smear-all straw men.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 05:20
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    I am not sure how accurate that is. I think that alcoholism is merely under-diagnosed.

For instance, I remember Korea 10+ years ago. Alcoholism was even more rampant and there was almost no talk of alcohol abuse. OF course, the concept of a drunk existed, but the concept of a functioning alcoholic didn't exist, and much crime was connected to the ...[text shortened]... holism.

But I don't know. Perhaps some other people here could comment on their experiences.
    people who drink and enjoy themselves get labelled @alcoholic@ . no one would know excep the imbiber
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 09:01
    I would guess that it was probably left there by the last person who was looking around after the salesman gave it to them. They probably took it with no comment (being polite) and then just left it there. Better than tossing it in a bin on the way out.
    Yes possibly. But could also be a deliberate (and rather sneaky) attempt by the salesman to get people to take a Bible home with them.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 12:33
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Yes possibly. But could also be a deliberate (and rather sneaky) attempt by the salesman to get people to take a Bible home with them.
    Don't get me wrong, even I would be offended by some salesman shoving a Bible at me (unless he was, in fact, selling Bibles) because I would be all like "What translation is this?" or "No, I have plenty of Bibles, give this to someone who has none."
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 14:02
    Don't get me wrong, even I would be offended by some salesman shoving a Bible at me (unless he was, in fact, selling Bibles) because I would be all like "What translation is this?" or "No, I have plenty of Bibles, give this to someone who has none."
    I could just about handle a Bible in my refrigerator, but absolutely draw the line at a copy of War and Peace in my pressure cooker.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 00:21
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    people who drink and enjoy themselves get labelled @alcoholic@ . no one would know excep the imbiber
    btw my inverted commas come out as @

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree