jesus turns water into wine

jesus turns water into wine

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
06 Feb 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Yeah, very funny.

Except that in the ancient world, pure water, or even clean water, was just not common in population centers. Wine was substituted as a way to get the water one needs to live. To this day, people tell you "don't drink the water" when you go to an underdeveloped country, and one is urged to drink something else, often beer, instead. ...[text shortened]... e excess alcohol use ruins lives and people usually just want to get on and feed their families.
This of course is biblically supported in 1 Timothy 5:23:

'Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.'

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

'Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.'
1 Timothy is a trove of good advice.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Feb 18
1 edit

He shared a beautiful message sir. I don't think we can begrudge him a little alcohol.

Besides, although the Bible tells us, do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery,' it also tells us, 'go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart...'
my sentiments more or less. A guy that in touch with the universe would have no problem smashing them and staying philosophical.
again I speak from experience. you can overcome the karma you create by staying righteous and using the world. no one ever got anything by sitting under a tree ... except maybe Buddha-and that guy was just trying to escape his extra-material trappings. totally different to poor boy jesus.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Feb 18

Yeah no firdges back then so alcohol would've been a staple to keep the germs at bay,

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
07 Feb 18

1 Timothy is a trove of good advice.
And yet it is a book I have no memory of ever studying. (Not in isolation). I did however do an entire module on Amos. 🙂

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 18
2 edits

And yet it is a book I have no memory of ever studying. (Not in isolation). I did however do an entire module on Amos. 🙂
The oft-quoted verse about "the love of money" being "the root of all evil" is in the very next chapter (6:10)

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
07 Feb 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Yeah no firdges back then so alcohol would've been a staple to keep the germs at bay,
Well, talking of 'fridges' and the Bible, there was an interesting story about a couple finding a Bible inside a fridge:

"An odd thing happened when we were looking at a trailer that interested us. I opened the refrigerator to get a feel for how large it was and found a bible inside it." (Turned out the salesman was actively giving out Bibles to his customers).

The woman wasn't happy and wrote, "So apparently, this RV dealer doesn’t just sell RVs. It pushes religion. Christianity, to be exact. Am I the only one who thinks this is inappropriate?"

www.aneclecticmind.com/2009/12/27/the-bible-in-the-refrigerator/

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Feb 18

Well, talking of 'fridges' and the Bible, there was an interesting story about a couple finding a Bible inside a fridge:

"An odd thing happened when we were looking at a trailer that interested us. I opened the refrigerator to get a feel for how large it was and found a bible inside it." (Turned out the salesman was actively giving out Bibles to ...[text shortened]... ks this is inappropriate?"

that sir is innappropriate, not the height of grubbery but seriously out of whack 🙂

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 18

"An odd thing happened when we were looking at a trailer that interested us. I opened the refrigerator to get a feel for how large it was and found a bible inside it." (Turned out the salesman was actively giving out Bibles to ...[text shortened]... ks this is inappropriate?"

I would guess that it was probably left there by the last person who was looking around after the salesman gave it to them. They probably took it with no comment (being polite) and then just left it there. Better than tossing it in a bin on the way out.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
that sir is innappropriate, not the height of grubbery but seriously out of whack 🙂
Businesses should live or die based on the customer's experience and word of mouth. Enough bad and no one will come by (or buy, even).

S. Korea

Moves
08 Feb 18

Yes, but this is responsible use. Countries where alcohol is a normal part of life, and especially countries where most of the population is poor, have a lower occurrence of alcoholism because it is a disease of countries with wealth and opulence. Alcohol use is normal, abuse is not. Just like eating food is normal, obesity is not.

I'm not saying it ...[text shortened]... use' in these countries (where it is not usually seen as a vice) is higher, while abuse is not.
I am not sure how accurate that is. I think that alcoholism is merely under-diagnosed.

For instance, I remember Korea 10+ years ago. Alcoholism was even more rampant and there was almost no talk of alcohol abuse. OF course, the concept of a drunk existed, but the concept of a functioning alcoholic didn't exist, and much crime was connected to these very lax attitudes towards alcoholism. Korea was just coming out of poverty.

It is probably also true that people in third world nations have their own, large battles to do with alcoholism.

But I don't know. Perhaps some other people here could comment on their experiences.

F

Moves
08 Feb 18

Originally posted by @jacob-verville
Perhaps some other people here could comment on their experiences.
Only if you promise not to talk at them as if they are cardboard cutouts that have scribbled on them the cliched dog whistle slogans and buzz words that polemicists you admire have used to denigrate them wholesale and which you have been champing at the bit to trot out in cyberspace for your own personal vicarious jollies. 😉

S. Korea

Moves
08 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Only if you promise not to talk at them as if they are cardboard cutouts that have scribbled on them the cliched dog whistle slogans and buzz words that polemicists you admire have used to denigrate them wholesale and which you have been champing at the bit to trot out in cyberspace for your own personal vicarious jollies. 😉
Oh geez, that sounds extreme.

I'll promise to not do that. That sounds terrible.

F

Moves
08 Feb 18

Originally posted by @jacob-verville
Oh geez, that sounds extreme.

I'll promise to not do that. That sounds terrible.
You have hit the ground running here but not in the way your vanity might like. How many 'unfair perceptions of you' of your own making have you run away from already?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
And I suppose this is not your standard "same old same old off-topic diatribe", right?