Jews and atheism

Jews and atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
26 Apr 12

I recently read that according to one study, about half of Jews in the US are either atheists or agnostics. The recently deceased Christopher Hitchens often joked that it was because they had an anti-God gene.

What say you?

Moves
26 Apr 12

Originally posted by whodey
I recently read that according to one study, about half of Jews in the US are either atheists or agnostics. The recently deceased Christopher Hitchens often joked that it was because they had an anti-God gene.

What say you?
Jew's tend to have a better idea of what is written in their holy book than Christians do.

And just being stuck with the OT (effectively) is probably quite a turn-off.

I mean have you read it? (sorry silly question, of course you haven't)

Moves
26 Apr 12

What say you?
I once told one of my closest friends and his wife that I had just heard a good definition of a Jew. They are Jewish. What I told them was, a Jew is a person to whom "What does it mean to be a Jew?" is a lifelong question. With a laugh, my friend said they had to agree. One thing I will say in reply to you is that in my experience, the Jewish spiritual experience is more about community than it is about theology.

We have traveled with this couple across New Zealand, through the Panama Canal, down the Danube to the Black Sea, and across northern Italy, so we know them pretty well.

In my view, people who want to learn about the Jewish view of God should ask their Jewish friends about it.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
27 Apr 12

What say you?
rejection of biblical nonsense is proportional to the amount of good education received. half the jews in the US are better educated than the other half.

j

Moves
27 Apr 12
6 edits

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
rejection of biblical nonsense is proportional to the amount of good education received. half the jews in the US are better educated than the other half.
Atheists often love to run and hide behind the Messiah unbelieving Jewish Theist. Since the motive of the Atheist is to be anti - Christ, they often go to seek assistance from the people who have put in the most time and energy to reject the New Testament, the typical theistic Jew.

Now watch this. After reading this, the next step will be to accuse me of Anti Semitism. That is usually the next move for the Atheist. The Atheist Agenda -

1.) Oppose the existence of God.

2.) Seek assistance from the Christ opposing Jew.
This is often done by advizing the Christian that he better go to a Messiah rejecting Jewish theist to get a proper understanding of the Old Testament.

The Atheist will also insist that the Old Testament is totally off limits to the Christian. The object is to drive as strong a wedge between the Old Testament and the New Testament - to cut all lines of connection.

"Christian, that is not your book. You know nothing about it. You must ask the Jews" says the Atheist.

3.) Drive a wedge between Christian and Jew with accusations of Anti Semitism.

I am not just talking what I have not seen. On other forums I have participated in I have seen a lot of this pattern. I sometimes think of it as the Atheist / Jew Alliance. But the "alliance" is usually more in the mind of the Atheist than the Theistic Jew (if he or she happens to be one).

In short what I am saying is some Atheists take an approach - "I need to be anti God and anti Christ. I come to you guys for help to fight against these Christians because I know you've been rejecting the Gospel for a longer time than anyone else."

I expect now accusations of Anti Semitism from the Atheists.

Moves
27 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by jaywill
Atheists often love to run and hide behind the Messiah unbelieving Jewish Theist. Since the motive of the Atheist is to be anti - Christ, they often go to seek assistance from the people who have put in the most time and energy to reject the New Testament, the typical theistic Jew.

Now watch this. After reading this, the next step will be to accuse me of ime than anyone else."

&feature=g-vrec

I think we have hit stage 5 in "How to destroy an atheist in an Argument".

Play the victim card.

EDIT: and yes this is the video that voidspirit posted earlier.

Moves
27 Apr 12

Now watch this. After reading this, the next step will be to accuse me of ...[text shortened]... ime than anyone else."

The 'motive of the atheist' (which doesn't actually exist) is not to be 'anti-Christ'.

There are many reasons for being an atheist but the most common are that belief
based on faith is irrational and immoral and thus given the utter lack of evidence for
the existence of any god or gods then none should be believed in.

The Christian god is but one of those god concepts for which there is no evidence and
is not believed equally with all other god concepts by an atheist.

The Atheist will also insist that the Old Testament is totally off limits to the Christian.
The object is to drive as strong a wedge between the Old Testament and the New Testament
- to cut all lines of connection.

Um what?

No don't be silly.

Accusations of being a complete and utter moron is what is coming your way.

j

Moves
27 Apr 12

When the Atheist uses the Theist Jew to push him in front of his anti-Christ arguments, it almost seems like the Atheist has temporarily become a Theist. But he is only interested in the Christ contrarian arguments of Judaism.

Since the resurrection of Christ Judaism has been largely structured around a denial of Jesus as the Jewish Messiah.

They will wax eloquent on Genesis, Exodus, and Leviticus like you wouldn't believe.

I went through this for years on The Creation Evolution Forum.

h

Moves
27 Apr 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghtoPiAE1sA&feature=g-vrec

I think we have hit stage 5 in "How to destroy an atheist in an Argument".

Play the victim card.

EDIT: and yes this is the video that voidspirit posted earlier.
Excellent video.
We see all these tactics being used constantly on this forums by certain theists especially the infantile 5th and 6th ones recently.

Moves
27 Apr 12

When the Atheist uses the Theist Jew to push him in front of his anti-Christ arguments, it almost seems like the Atheist has temporarily become a Theist. But he is only interested in the Christ contrarian arguments of Judaism.

Since the resurrection of Christ Judaism has been largely structured around a denial of Jesus as the Jewish Messiah.

They ...[text shortened]... like you wouldn't believe.

I went through this for years on The Creation Evolution Forum.
its not like atheists get together and prioritize targets. christ isnt like a thompsons gazelle to a bunch of atheist lions. i dont know if other atheist on here share my views but i find the old testament much more disturbing than the new testament. id be much more likely to get in a heated debate with somebody supporting the old testament. i could see no logic in 'joining forces' with followers of jewdaism. the atheist on here dont even join forces with each other.

rc

Moves
27 Apr 12

What say you?
I think a more interesting question is why have so many chess world champions been
Jewish, the number is quite disproportionate i think.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
27 Apr 12

The Atheist will also insist that the Old Testament is totally off limits to the Christian. The object is to drive as strong a wedge between the Old Testament and the New Testament - to cut all lines of connection.
Well, these 'atheists' don't speak for me - I like to hang the OT on the necks of Christians like a ball and chain. 😀

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
27 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
What I told them was, a Jew is a person to whom "What does it mean to be a Jew?" is a lifelong question.
I wish we had more 'journeyers' and less 'squatters'.

Moves
27 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
its not like atheists get together and prioritize targets. christ isnt like a thompsons gazelle to a bunch of atheist lions. i dont know if other atheist on here share my views but i find the old testament much more disturbing than the new testament. id be much more likely to get in a heated debate with somebody supporting the old testament. i could see forces' with followers of jewdaism. the atheist on here dont even join forces with each other.
The reality is that Atheists are more tolerant of Jews than Christians because quite frankly Jews are more tolerant of them in return. Judaism is not evangelical nor universal. It is, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, more of a community (i.e. tribal religion). It is not designed to spread to all nations worldwide. If you want to become a Jew you must become part of the Jewish community (rites of passage included).

Not so with Christianity as it is evangelical and thus it is Christians who are telling Atheists that they are in league with Satan and will suffer eternal punishment unless they convert and submit.

Is it any wonder then that Atheists will tend to be more friendly towards Jews and not so much towards Christians? Yet here you have Jaywill playing the victim card by claiming that Atheists are trying to use Jews to gang up on poor Christians. Christianity must be the most passive aggressive religion in the history of the world.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Apr 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
"belief based on faith is irrational and immoral"
Um, what?

Sorry, I didn't get to finish the rest of what you were saying because I couldn't stop laughing at this tidbit.