1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 16:31
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    What part of that conflicts with

"1 Cor 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
    the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 16:381 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ
    .. whose head is God the Father.

See how simple? Christ and God 2 separate and distinct entities
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 18:21
    http://www.biblebb.com/files/macqa/70-24-1.htm

I will admit there seems to be contradiction in who Christ is from the biblical text. I see the triune-ness of God but some see it differently. I guess just because our comprehension of God is/could be skewed in and of it's self does not mean we are not Christian. Ultimately God is the judge of our hearts. We should strive for truth though right? Not to Lord it over others but to help others right?

Manny
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '09
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 18:36
    I agree with your statement. They are some serious problems. In John: 8 the story of the "women taken in adultery" is not found in earlier text.
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 19:10
    .. whose head is God the Father.

See how simple? Christ and God 2 separate and distinct entities
    great God and Saviour, see how simple it isπŸ˜‰
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 19:13
    Originally posted by Thomas Lavery
    I agree with your statement. They are some serious problems. In John: 8 the story of the "women taken in adultery" is not found in earlier text.
    agreed. my point is that a broader view must be taken to try and understand the underlying subcontext of the scriptures. It is too easy to get caught up in the minutae of dogma, and miss the real message of love and forgiveness, and of social holiness and personal holiness.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 19:55
    great God and Saviour, see how simple it isπŸ˜‰
    So we agree .. thats unusual .. I going to have a beer to celebrate πŸ™‚
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 19:58
    agreed. my point is that a broader view must be taken to try and understand the underlying subcontext of the scriptures. It is too easy to get caught up in the minutae of dogma, and miss the real message of love and forgiveness, and of social holiness and personal holiness.
    I agree with this. I agree with one thing also that others have said. About love and at times we look at Western Christianity (My experience at least) and what are we doing for the world? We get so caught up in dogma that we can't see past our nose. I struggle with this personally. Love for our fellow man should be foremost in all. To serve. πŸ™‚ Not to sit in a pew and be unchanged. That is why I like the book of James it's putting our money where our mouth is.

Manny
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 20:00
    So we agree .. thats unusual .. I going to have a beer to celebrate πŸ™‚
    What kinda of beer? Samuel Adams? Gordon Beirsch has a bunch of tasty beers. πŸ˜‰ See God does love us He gave us beer. πŸ™‚

Manny
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 20:093 edits
    Mr. Mills, an Oxford scholar, produced a work in the late 17th century identifying 30,000 variations in the known Biblical texts. That number has since ballooned to over 150,000. In light of the numerous variations, how can any one group lay claim to absolute authority of God's word?
    ===================================
    Mr. Mills, an Oxford scholar, produced a work in the late 17th century identifying 30,000 variations in the known Biblical texts. That number has since ballooned to over 150,000. In light of the numerous variations, how can any one group lay claim to absolute authority of God's word?
    ===================================

"Westcott and Hort estimated that only one-eighth of all the variants had any weight, as most of them are merely mechanical matters such as spelling or style. Of the whole, then, only about one sixtieth rise above "trivialities," or an in any sense be called "substantial variations". Mathematically this would compute to a text that is 98.33 percent pure. ...

Ezra Abbot gave similar figures, saying that about 19/10 (95 percent) of the readings are "various" rather than "rival" readings, and 19/20 (95 percent) of the remainder are of so little importance that their adoption or rejection makes no appreciable difference in the sense of the passage. ...

Philip Schaff surmised that of the 150,000 variations known in his day, only 400 affected the sense; and of these only 50 were of real significance; and of this total not one affected "an article of faith or a precept of duty which is not abundantly sustained by other and undoubted passages, or by the whole tenor of Scriptures teaching...".

A.T. Robertson suggested that the real concern of textual criticism is of a "thousandth part of the entire text." This would make the reconstructed text of the New Testament 99.9 percent free from substantial or consequential error. Hence Warfield observed, "the great mass of the New Testament, in other words, has been transmitted to us with no, or next to no variations." At first, the great multitude of variants would seem to be a liability to the integrity of the Bible text. But, just the contrary is true, for the larger number of variants supplies at the same time the means of checking on those variants. As strange as it may appear, the corruption of the text provides the means for its own correction."

[ From "A General Introduction To the Bible, Giesler and Nix, Moody Press, pg 365,366 ]
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 20:11
    Originally posted by menace71
    What kinda of beer? Samuel Adams? Gordon Beirsch has a bunch of tasty beers. πŸ˜‰ See God does love us He gave us beer. πŸ™‚

Manny
    Trinidad beer - Carib and Stag. Good stuff. Similar in taste to Corona.
  12. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 21:14
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]===================================
    =========================== ...[text shortened]... al Introduction To the Bible, Giesler and Nix, Moody Press, pg 365,366 ]
    [/b]
    I've read some similar commentaries, and they agree that the "variants" are helpful in deducing the original intent. The fact remains though that so many errors in scribing, etc... leads to bickering over things like trinity doctrines, etc...
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 22:12
    I've read some similar commentaries, and they agree that the "variants" are helpful in deducing the original intent. The fact remains though that so many errors in scribing, etc... leads to bickering over things like trinity doctrines, etc...
    The Douay-Rheims IS THE correct version of the Bible.
  14. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 00:341 edit
    Originally posted by daniel58
    The Douay-Rheims IS THE correct version of the Bible.
    says who?

btw: bibles written from the latin vulgate may not be the most reliable
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 01:01
    Trinidad beer - Carib and Stag. Good stuff. Similar in taste to Corona.
    Swill. Barely fit for human consumption. 😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree