1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 12:348 edits
    To how many does the Bible hold out hope of heavenly life?

Luke 12:32: “Have no fear, little flock, because your Father has approved of
    giving you the kingdom.” - Christ taught that there were two flocks, a little one and
    another one, unspecified in size.

(John 10:16) “And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I
    must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one
    shepherd. . .

Rev. 14:1-3: “I saw, and, look! the Lamb [Jesus Christ] standing upon the Mount
    Zion [in heaven; see Hebrews 12:22-24], and with him a hundred and forty-four
    thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads.
    . . . And they are singing as if a new song . . . and no one was able to master
    that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from the
    earth.”

Are the 144,000 only natural Jews?

Rev. 7:4-8: “I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four
    thousand, sealed out of every tribe of the sons of Israel: . . . Judah . . . Reuben . . .
    Gad . . . Asher . . . Naphtali . . . Manasseh . . . Simeon . . . Levi . . . Issachar . . .
    Zebulun . . . Joseph . . . Benjamin.” (These cannot be the tribes of natural Israel
    because there never was a tribe of Joseph, the tribes of Ephraim and Dan are not
    included in the list here, and the Levites were set aside for service in connection with
    the temple but were not reckoned as one of the 12 tribes. See Numbers 1:4-16.)

Rom. 2:28, 29: “He is not a Jew who is one on the outside, nor is circumcision that
    which is on the outside upon the flesh. But he is a Jew who is one on the inside, and
    his circumcision is that of the heart by spirit, and not by a written code.”

Gal. 3:26-29: “You are all, in fact, sons of God through your faith in Christ Jesus.
    . . . There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is
    neither male nor female; for you are all one person in union with Christ Jesus.
    Moreover, if you belong to Christ, you are really Abraham’s seed, heirs with
    reference to a promise.”

Is the number 144,000 merely symbolic?

The answer is indicated by the fact that, after mention of the definite number
    144,000, Revelation 7:9 refers to “a great crowd, which no man was able to
    number.” If the number 144,000 were not literal it would lack meaning as a contrast
    to the “great crowd.” Viewing the number as literal agrees with Jesus’ statement at
    Matthew 22:14 regarding the Kingdom of the heavens: “There are many invited, but
    few chosen.”

Do those of the “great crowd” referred to at Revelation 7:9, 10 also go to heaven?

Revelation does not say of them, as it does of the 144,000, that they are “bought
    from the earth” to be with Christ on heavenly Mount Zion
    . Rev. 14:1-3.

The description of them as “standing before the throne and before the Lamb”
    indicates, not necessarily a location, but an approved condition. (Compare
    Revelation 6:17; Luke 21:36.) The expression “before the throne” (Greek, enopion
    tou thronou; literally, “in sight of the throne&rdquo😉 does not require that they be in
    heaven. Their position is simply “in sight” of God, who tells us that from heaven he
    beholds the sons of men. Ps. 11:4; compare Matthew 25:31-33; Luke 1:74, 75; Acts
    10:33.

The “great crowd in heaven” referred to at Revelation 19:1, 6 is not the same as the
    “great crowd” of Revelation 7:9. The ones in heaven are not described as being
    “out of all nations” or as ascribing their salvation to the Lamb; they are angels. The
    expression “great crowd” is used in a variety of contexts in the Bible.

source Jehovah witnesses.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 14:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    To how many does the Bible hold out hope of heavenly life?

Luke 12:32: “Have no fear, [b]little flock
    , because your Father has approved of
    giving you the kingdom.” - Christ taught that there were two flocks, a little one and
    another one, unspecified in size.

(John 10:16) “And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those ...[text shortened]... ession “great crowd” is used in a variety of contexts in the Bible.

source Jehovah witnesses.[/b]
    Your source is mistaken. This has already been explained to you, but you refuse to learn the truth, so live in your deceit as you wish.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Your source is mistaken. This has already been explained to you, but you refuse to learn the truth, so live in your deceit as you wish.
    “Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true.”
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:17
    “Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true.”
    Robbie, what do you make of the fact that the Watchtower brought out a magazine
    I think it was may 15 1984 showing 16 people on the cover who were from the 1914 generation. It declared that this generation shall see the end times.

They have all passed away and we are still here.
    The Watchtower keeps changing the date of the end of the world.
    They have been wrong many times.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:371 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Robbie, what do you make of the fact that the Watchtower brought out a magazine
    I think it was may 15 1984 showing 16 people on the cover who were from the 1914 generation. It declared that this generation shall see the end times.

They have all passed away and we are still here.
    The Watchtower keeps changing the date of the end of the world.
    They have been wrong many times.
    actually Johny me ol son, we constantly revise our teaching, 'the generation', that you
    speak of is not defined as being part of a generation from 1914, thats old hat mate, its
    now taken to mean a generation not at any specific time but which has witnessed such
    events as those mentioned in Matthew chapter 24, from where the term 'generation
    comes from'. Even so i am sure there are not a few persons from 1914 who are still
    alive. We have never claimed to be infallible, unlike the pope, the fact that we have
    made mistakes is indicative of what, that we are fallible, so what? were not the
    disciples of Christ also fallible? did they not also make mistakes? have you never
    made a mistake?

here is a piece of advice for you Johnny,

(Matthew 24:36)  “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels
    of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:39
    actually Johny me ol son, we constantly revise our teaching, 'the generation', that you
    speak of is not defined as being part of a generation from 1914, thats old hat mate, its
    now taken to mean a generation not at any specific time but which has witnessed such
    events as those mentioned in Matthew chapter 24, from where the term 'generation
    c ...[text shortened]... of Christ also fallible? did they not also make mistakes? have you never
    made a mistake?
    I've made plenty
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:40
    I've made plenty
    well then, surely you have learned from your mistakes?
  8. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:44
    well then, surely you have learned from your mistakes?
    Big party on November 29.
    On that day I will correct a mistake made in 1987.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:02
    Big party on November 29.
    On that day I will correct a mistake made in 1987.
    gulp johnny, it sounds a serious business.
  10. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:25
    I will let you know the result on the day
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:26
    I will let you know the result on the day
    you are not working for the RA are you johnny?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:29
    Divorce?
  13. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:30
    you are not working for the RA are you johnny?
    Not any longer. There's a peace process going on didn't you hear??

No. I'm in court on November 29 at 09:30 am gmt.
    I'm getting a divorce.
  14. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Divorce?
    Spot on. Well done.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:32
    c ...[text shortened]... and hour nobody knows, neither the angels
    of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.
    sorry to drag up old issues, especially during a relatively peaceful day on the forum. you adamantly defended a j.w. translation in the bible regarding messianic prophecies. when i pointed out that other faiths and denominations had different translations and asked how could you be sure you had it right. your answer was that you had the best scholars and it was impossible that you could have it wrong. you now seem to be saying the j.w's are fallible like everyone else and can make mistakes. are you now willing to admit that there is a possibility that one or more j.w. biblical translations could be wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree