1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 11:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no i do not accept the possibility, its either true or its not, the truth does not lie between
    two polarities. I have answered the same question now four times, i will not do so
    again and just to be clear,

NO I DO NOT ACCEPT THAT THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY that my religion could be
    wrong.
    how do you know?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 11:35
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    how do you know?
    Elementary my dear Watson,

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable,
    must be the truth.”
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 11:56
    Elementary my dear Watson,

must be the truth.”
    how have you come to the conclusion the other variables are impossible?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 13:26
    how have you come to the conclusion the other variables are impossible?
    through evaluation and an examination with the mind
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 13:37
    what were the key conclusions you came to.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 13:551 edit
    what were the key conclusions you came to.
    The possibility that life has arisen by merely material means is mathematically not
    only improbable, but almost impossible. Thus a purely materialistic explanation for life
    and its diversity was not possible and thus having eliminated this, it left, however
    improbable, the only explanation that intelligence is involved the consequence of which
    is that one, in the search for truth cannot limit ones search to unintelligent agencies for
    it gives an entirely skewed perspective. I then made room for the supernatural.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 14:09
    The possibility that life has arisen by merely material means is mathematically not
    only improbable, but almost impossible. Thus a purely materialistic explanation for life
    and its diversity was not possible and thus having eliminated this, it left, however
    improbable, the only explanation that intelligence is involved and thus one, in the
    s ...[text shortened]... agencies for it gives an
    entirely skewed perspective. I then made room for the supernatural.
    Ok well first off you can't just assert that the possibility that life has arisen by 'merely
    materiel means' is mathematically impossible.
    You have to prove it.

The evidence currently indicates the exact opposite, that it's in fact extremely easy for
    life to form by 'merely materiel means'.

So you don't get to 'eliminate this option'.

However your proposed solution to this even if you could is in fact worse.

Because an 'intelligent' agent is vastly more complicated and harder to form than simple life.

So if it's possible for an 'intelligent' agent to spontaneously pop into existence then it's evidently possible
    for simple life to do likewise.

And if you try to get around that by stipulating that your intelligent agent has existed forever and thus
    didn't need to spontaneously form, then I can just as easily say that the universe could have existed
    in one form or another forever... In which case it doesn't mater how improbable it is for life to form,
    if the universe has existed forever then it will form at some point.

However even if that were not true, and you say that there has to be an intelligent creator...

That still doesn't get you to YOUR god, as there are an infinite number of possibilities for possible creator gods.

It still doesn't get you to the supernatural.

And this is even before I bring up hard solipsism.

The 'how can you tell you're not in the matrix?' problem.

Which widens the possible field of 'creators of our reality' to completely non-supernatural intelligent beings.

must be the truth.”

Only works with a finite set of options.

When working with an infinite set of options it becomes impossible to evaluate all of them.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 14:33
    improbable, the only explanation that intelligence is involved the consequence of which ...[text shortened]... agencies for
    it gives an entirely skewed perspective. I then made room for the supernatural.
    can i remind you that you said you were 100% sure your god is real. your first sentence of proof towards this uses the words 'improbable and almost impossible'. you are clearly stating with your choice of words that there is a tiny chance a purely materialistic explanation for life exists. bearing what youve just said in mind, should you revise your 100% claim, as you have already introduced a minuscule element of doubt and thats even before looking at all the very pertinent points raised by googlefudge.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 15:21
    You're going back down this path again are you? If that's the case, i have a book waiting here for you. PM me your address and i'll pop it in the post for your good self. 🙂

Let's see you put this 'evaluating with your mind' into practice.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 16:01
    can i remind you that you said you were 100% sure your god is real. your first sentence of proof towards this uses the words 'improbable and almost impossible'. you are clearly stating with your choice of words that there is a tiny chance a purely materialistic explanation for life exists. bearing what youve just said in mind, should you revise your 100 ...[text shortened]... of doubt and thats even before looking at all the very pertinent points raised by googlefudge.
    actually no, the proteins needed for life have very complex molecules. What is the
    chance of even a simple protein molecule forming at random in an organic soup?
    Evolutionists acknowledge it to be only one in 10^113 (1 followed by 113 zeros). But
    any event that has one chance in just 10^50 is dismissed by mathematicians as never
    happening. An idea of the odds, or probability, involved is seen in the fact that the
    number 10^113 is larger than the estimated total number of all the atoms in the
    universe! so no, there is not even a sniffling of a chance or doubt in my mind. You
    asked the question, you got the answer and no I will not revise my answer, you limit
    your search for truth to unintelligent agencies, to me such a course is quite simply
    absurd.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 16:03
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You're going back down this path again are you? If that's the case, i have a book waiting here for you. PM me your address and i'll pop it in the post for your good self. 🙂

Let's see you put this 'evaluating with your mind' into practice.
    he asked me why, so i told him, and no thanks to the book offer, unless it includes the
    possibility of intelligence being involved id rather not limit my search for truth to
    unintelligent agencies, if you dont mind.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 16:05
    he asked me why, so i told him, and no thanks to the book offer, unless it includes the
    possibility of intelligence being involved id rather not limit my search for truth to
    unintelligent agencies, if you dont mind.
    Thought so. 🙂
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 16:06
    actually no, the proteins needed for life have very complex molecules. What is the
    chance of even a simple protein molecule forming at random in an organic soup?
    Evolutionists acknowledge it to be only one in 10^113 (1 followed by 113 zeros). But
    any event that has one chance in just 10^50 is dismissed by mathematicians as never
    happening. A ...[text shortened]...
    your search for truth to unintelligent agencies, to me such a course is quite simply
    absurd.
    Evolutionists acknowledge it to be only one in 10^113

Haven't we been here before, and when we looked a little deeper into this it turned out this number was from creationtist material?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 16:071 edit
    Thought so. 🙂
    do your books provide for the possibility of intelligence being involved, no, i thought
    so.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 16:081 edit
    [b]Evolutionists acknowledge it to be only one in 10^113

Haven't we been here before, and when we looked a little deeper into this it turned out this number was from creationtist material?[/b]
    Indeed, where else? Its a quotation taken from one of our books, which quotes an
    article from the 1980's i think and yes we have been here before.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree