1. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:35
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    sorry to drag up old issues, especially during a relatively peaceful day on the forum. you adamantly defended a j.w. translation in the bible regarding messianic prophecies. when i pointed out that other faiths and denominations had different translations and asked how could you be sure you had it right. your answer was that you had the best scholars an ...[text shortened]... o admit that there is a possibility that one or more j.w. biblical translations could be wrong?
    You'll all be sorry when you discover that there is no God.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:43
    sorry to drag up old issues, especially during a relatively peaceful day on the forum. you adamantly defended a j.w. translation in the bible regarding messianic prophecies. when i pointed out that other faiths and denominations had different translations and asked how could you be sure you had it right. your answer was that you had the best scholars an ...[text shortened]... o admit that there is a possibility that one or more j.w. biblical translations could be wrong?
    what? i have never claimed that we are infallible, never, as for the accuracy of our
    translation, may i refer you to associate professor Jason BeDuhns rather excellent
    work, Accuracy and bias in English translations of the New testament, which i have
    read, he comes to the following conclusion,

BeDuhn reported that the New World Translation was "not bias free", but emerged
    "as the most accurate of the translations compared", and thus a "remarkably good
    translation", adding that "most of the differences are due to the greater accuracy of
    the NW as a literal, conservative translation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Translation_of_the_Holy_Scriptures

If you wont take my word for it, perhaps you will take his.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 17:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what? i have never claimed that we are infallible, never, as for the accuracy of our
    translation, may i refer you to associate professor Jason BeDuhns rather excellent
    work, Accuracy and bias in English translations of the New testament, which i have
    read, he comes to the following conclusion,

BeDuhn reported that the New World Translatio ...[text shortened]... on_of_the_Holy_Scriptures

If you wont take my word for it, perhaps you will take his.
    its good that he thinks yours is the most accurate. my point though is that you were adamant your translation was correct 100%. now it seems you are willing to admit there is a possibility it was wrong.

does this apply to j.w. views on blood. are you willing to admit there is a possibility that it maybe a misunderstanding of the bible?

on a side note. if that professor says the j.w. bible is the most accurate, why doesnt he become a j.w. ????
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 19:111 edit
    little[JW] flock....source Jehovah witnesses.
    "All who will, may come" Jn 2:2

Your cultish exclusivity never fails to sicken me.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:20
    its good that he thinks yours is the most accurate. my point though is that you were adamant your translation was correct 100%. now it seems you are willing to admit there is a possibility it was wrong.

does this apply to j.w. views on blood. are you willing to admit there is a possibility that it maybe a misunderstanding of the bible?

on a side n ...[text shortened]... te. if that professor says the j.w. bible is the most accurate, why doesnt he become a j.w. ????
    I dont know why he doesn't, i emailed him and thanked him fore his book but he never
    got back to me. A possibility that we are misunderstanding the Bible, there is a chance
    but unless you have a better explanation ours is correct.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:56
    I dont know why he doesn't, i emailed him and thanked him fore his book but he never
    got back to me. A possibility that we are misunderstanding the Bible, there is a chance
    but unless you have a better explanation ours is correct.
    wow, im liking this straightforward, dare i say 'honest' style of response!!!

on with the endless questions though - so, taking into consideration that there is a possibility that aspects j.w. translation could be wrong. is it too much of a leap to then admit that there is a possibility, no matter how small, that chrisitanity has it wrong and another religion has it right?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 21:121 edit
    wow, im liking this straightforward, dare i say 'honest' style of response!!!

on with the endless questions though - so, taking into consideration that there is a possibility that aspects j.w. translation could be wrong. is it too much of a leap to then admit that there is a possibility, no matter how small, that chrisitanity has it wrong and another religion has it right?
    No, for there is no greater example than that of Jesus Christ. If you can point to one,
    then do so.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 21:27
    No, for there is no greater example than that of Jesus Christ. If you can point to one,
    then do so.
    ahh, see your at it again, veering off on a debate tangent.

my aim as you probably well know, is not to point out which religion is the most probable. im happy for arguments sake to say yours is the 'greatest example' and the most probable. but as you also well know being the most probable answer isnt always the correct answer. so bearing this in mind are you happy to admit that there is a possibility no matter how small you think it is, that your religion is not the 'true' religion.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 22:42

my aim as you probably well know, is not to point out which religion is the most probable. im happy for arguments sake to say yours is the 'greatest example' and the most probable. but as you also well know being the most probable answer isnt always the correct answer. so bearing this in mi ...[text shortened]... sibility no matter how small you think it is, that your religion is not the 'true' religion.
    your question was has Christianity got it wrong and the answer is a definite no, for there is no other example by means of which we can gain salvation.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 00:18
    your question was has Christianity got it wrong and the answer is a definite no, for there is no other example by means of which we can gain salvation.
    So have you ever met anyone who has actually achieved your salvation?
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 00:34

my aim as you probably well know, is not to point out which religion is the most probable. im happy for arguments sake to say yours is the 'greatest example' and the most probable. but as you also well know being the most probable answer isnt always the correct answer. so bearing this in mi ...[text shortened]... sibility no matter how small you think it is, that your religion is not the 'true' religion.
    My answer is yes, we do have the true religion. We are not saying it is a perfect religion and one needs to grasp that truth.

Here is a thought for anyone here with interest:

"LIGHTHOUSES have saved an untold number of lives. To a weary traveler, though, a light seen in the distance does more than warn of dangerous reefs. It also announces that his destination is near. Paralleling that, Christians today are nearing the end of a long journey, one that has led them through a bedarkened, spiritually dangerous world. In the Bible, mankind in general—the masses alienated from God—are likened to “the sea that is being tossed, when it is unable to calm down, the waters of which keep tossing up seaweed and mire.” (Isaiah 57:20)
    God’s people are surrounded by such an environment. Yet, they have a bright prospect of salvation, which is for them a figurative, reliable light. (Micah 7:8) Thanks to Jehovah and his written Word, “light itself has flashed up for the righteous one, and rejoicing even for the ones upright in heart.”—Psalm 97:11."

This is a great explination of the progression of God's people and of the "light" of spiritual knowledge that would get "brighter and brighter" as time went on and the nearer the end of this system would get.

If one were lost in the world of spiritual darkness as the Bible clearly explains the world is in but then they were to see a light or truth in the far distance and was working to get to the light, it is easy to understand that with that little far off light or truth, that one would not have a clear picture of all things around them until they eventually got to that light. There would be wrong turns, mistakes, and not always the right decisions made.
    And there would be some that would abandon ship because of lack of faith that the ships stewards were indeed correct in their course.

So yes some mistakes and misjudgements in the course of this organization have happened and will happen again.
    But this by no means we are to be ignored. We are imperfect as any other human on this planet.

If one is looking and expecting a religious group of imperfect humans to be perfect if they claim to be used by God, that will never happen.

So how would one identify if a religion was indeed being used by God. Jesus said it would be by their "fruits".
  12. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 02:04
    Originally posted by galveston75
    My answer is yes, we do have the true religion. We are not saying it is a perfect religion and one needs to grasp that truth.

Here is a thought for anyone here with interest:

"LIGHTHOUSES have saved an untold number of lives. To a weary traveler, though, a light seen in the distance does more than warn of dangerous reefs. It also announces that h ...[text shortened]... y if a religion was indeed being used by God. Jesus said it would be by their "fruits".
    What you say doesn't hold a lot of water, because if you check out my facebook page
    then you'll see my picture is a lighthouse.

It's all an illusion, but then so is all of organised religion.
    When will all of you realize that there is no God.

There is only us and the sooner we work together to make a better world
    we are all finished.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 02:15
    actually Johny me ol son, we constantly revise our teaching, 'the generation', that you
    speak of is not defined as being part of a generation from 1914, thats old hat mate, its
    now taken to mean a generation not at any specific time but which has witnessed such
    events as those mentioned in Matthew chapter 24, from where the term 'generation
    c ...[text shortened]... and hour nobody knows, neither the angels
    of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.
    I hope they also change to allow you guys to give blood to save the lives of others.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 02:21
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    What you say doesn't hold a lot of water, because if you check out my facebook page
    then you'll see my picture is a lighthouse.

It's all an illusion, but then so is all of organised religion.
    When will all of you realize that there is no God.

There is only us and the sooner we work together to make a better world
    we are all finished.
    We can only work together when you unbelievers also believe in God and His Christ.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 02:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We can only work together when you unbelievers also believe in God and His Christ.
    No, we can work together without "God" or a Christ. Unfortunately for many complacent humans they need a kick up the bum like a natural disaster before they do anything that remotely resembles co-operating with each other.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree