1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 18:27
    Originally posted by lausey
    This is quite long, but I think this has something to do with it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040629083126/http://members.aol.com/intwg/antiprocess.htm
    Nice find. A somewhat complex situation laid out very simply and clearly.

Hopefully those who have the most to gain from it will read it in its entirety.

These points seemed particularly applicable to this forum and seems to be extensible to those who have dogmatic religious beliefs in general:
    This is when Bob does what is called a "Stop-Thought". That's not my term, but something I learned about when I was studying cults.

People in cults are conditioned to stop any thoughts that suggest their cult is wrong. As soon as they recognize such an idea in their head, they're trained to think of something else, or to distract themselves...
    Antiprocess doesn't help Bob get any closer to truth, but his mind has already assessed the information in advance and perceived a threat. Thus, the last thing it wants is understanding, even if that means turning away from truth. That's because at a level below Bob's awareness, his mind has decided that there is a threat to his mental equilibrium.

To state the key point once again: he is not aware that this is happening. As far as he can tell, he really is debating in good faith.
  2. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 19:24
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Nice find. A somewhat complex situation laid out very simply and clearly.

Hopefully those who have the most to gain from it will read it in its entirety.

These points seemed particularly applicable to this forum and seems to be extensible to those who have dogmatic religious beliefs in general:
    This is when Bob does what is called a "Stop ...[text shortened]... at this is happening. As far as he can tell, he really is debating in good faith.
    I understand that, and I agree, I don't see the connection between that and cockiness, name calling and mockery. But I do agree with your statement. Here is a little unknown fact about me. I use to be anti Jesus, shoot I spent almost a whole decade studing anything and everything to take Him down. KMTic sciences, T.O.L.M. Ma'at, Buddism, Toaism, Zen. The list goes. Do to my past I have become open minded thats why I ask questions. I believe I getting off track myself, but this is how I learn about people, and in return they learn about me. I don't like to "stop-thought" I would never learn where the other person is coming from. And without that piece of the puzzle, a resolution will more than likely escape. So in the end the problem just continues, with everybody just trying to prove their point.

To repeat I do agree, I even know a few people like that. I can't get more than two words out before they reply back with something that sounds like a recording.
  3. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 20:49
    Originally posted by realeyez
    There is a lot of cockiness in this room, it's funny. Accusing people of not listening to what they are saying, but yet those same cocky people are quick to jump down anybody's throat who makes a statement they don't like. Why, Without naming names, I just want to know does anybody else feel this way or is it just me. No real debating just someone trying to ...[text shortened]... ight and Im wrong they will argue you to the death. Am I alone in this thought, just curious.
    I would like to begin with an apology as to the fact I said I would not respond anymore on these threads, however this is a great thread and I should express clearer as to why I am no longer here, so I will with a message that I already shared with robbie in our game..

~My good friend, I have no intentions to return there, as many in there had me removed for 3 days, got mods on me and my only desire was to open their eyes to what they truly deserve to be awaken from their so ingrained erroneous subtle influences of extreme ignorance, and them strongly developed into it.. I have had four warnings, to which the last was after I had my 3 days finished and posted a cool chat between me and vishva which they removed, I am fed up with their childish un-business oriented crapolla to not waste my time caring to share what is thrown back at me, as it says "Remember, if the world hates you, they hated me first", and I know it is the bread refered in Isaiah 51 that shall be done away with for sure, not them, the bread, HOPEFULLY!!!

My friend, I will not post any more in there, I create too much heat, as they like to throw at me, and I am very defensive due to my boot camp of hell I have been in for the past 7 yrs. which has built me of a defensive structure, however I mean not to debate with one, just would love them to KNOW how truly magnificently WONDERFUL each and everyone of them are..
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you mean thinkofone, yes i agree, he seems to have a kind of repertoire, 'your lying, you are from your father the devil, your not the sharpest pencil in the drawer, i suggest you read the text from the beginning, i would post it but you wouldn't understand, are you really that dim, you need professional help, you lack moral character, your intellectually dishonest', etc etc its just like some kind of bitchin fest!
    I often use those same criticism against you. You don't read the text from the beginning and you are intellectually dishonest. I have never suggested that you need professional help, however, but I do think that your religious affiliation does at some level qualify as deeply unhealthy.

When multiple posters accuse you of the same faults, it's not just a stock insult. Perhaps you need to be introspective and recognise your own shortcomings.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 23:041 edit
    I understand that, and I agree, I don't see the connection between that and cockiness, name calling and mockery. But I do agree with your statement. Here is a little unknown fact about me. I use to be anti Jesus, shoot I spent almost a whole decade studing anything and everything to take Him down. KMTic sciences, T.O.L.M. Ma'at, Buddism, Toaism, Zen. The li ore than two words out before they reply back with something that sounds like a recording.
    You really should read the link in its entirety.

There seems to be an assumption here that I'm anti-Jesus which couldn't be further from the truth.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 23:191 edit
    Oh yes, there is just many ways to tell someone that you disagree with them. I can state my thoughts or belittle you while I state my thoughts. Thats what I mean.
    In the future if you see something that I I wrote and you disagree and want to comment on it, please by all means do so. I enjoy seeings from other people view.
    My experience with you doesn't seem to be in line with what you've posted here. You seem to be hypersensitive to any type of criticism. So much so that you seem to be on some sort of crusade here and on other threads. Something you might want to consider is that in your being critical of others being critical, there's a certain hypocrisy involved. There's really nothing wrong with valid criticism.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 00:32
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I agree, can't help but find people's ideas of the other to be the most fascinating stuff there is.

What's barramundi taste like? Carp is revolting. And bony.
    Barrumindi? Some say it is "king" !!
    I dont eat much fish but coming from a coastal region it ends up on the plate now and then...

I think everyone needs to re-read their ownposts before they go off at the handle sumtimes, heheheπŸ™‚ (not you so much, of course..πŸ˜‰ )
  8. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 16:34
    My experience with you doesn't seem to be in line with what you've posted here. You seem to be hypersensitive to any type of criticism. So much so that you seem to be on some sort of crusade here and on other threads. Something you might want to consider is that in your being critical of others being critical, there's a certain hypocrisy involved. There's really nothing wrong with valid criticism.
    Your right, criticism is good. I have recieved enough it to last two lifetimes, and I welcome it. Criticism (positive) is a healthy method of learning and growing. My issue is that I have seen people take to heart what is being said about them, and what was spoken wasn't nice. Negative words can, and has changed people. Especially if that individual is emotionally sensitive. I have witnessed people die behind name calling, and insulting their intelligence. Since I don't know anyone in this room, I don't know how their mind works, what's going on in the personal life, if their about to just breakdown etc. If someone is I don't want to be the one who pushed them over the edge that's all. I myself, I can take. I've been spit on and I've have been called the "N" word etc... and still remained calm. But not everyone can do that.
    I have know people who have shot and killed someone just because they were called dumb. It seems severe I know, but it happened(more than once), I dont think that, that will happen with anyone in the room, but why chance it.
  9. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 16:36
    You really should read the link in its entirety.

There seems to be an assumption here that I'm anti-Jesus which couldn't be further from the truth.
    So what are your views of Jesus? I admit I don't fully know where you are coming from myself.
  10. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 16:382 edits
    I understand that, and I agree, I don't see the connection between that and cockiness, name calling and mockery. But I do agree with your statement. Here is a little unknown fact about me. I use to be anti Jesus, shoot I spent almost a whole decade studing anything and everything to take Him down. KMTic sciences, T.O.L.M. Ma'at, Buddism, Toaism, Zen. The li ore than two words out before they reply back with something that sounds like a recording.
    I would say there is a connection. If someone has brought up in a certain belief system for many years, and someone points out a fundamental flaw, their defence mechanisms take over.

This can mean that they no longer have an answer, become frustrated and resort to ad hominem attacks. Either that or they will use logical fallacies to attempt to justify their position, like fighting the strawman, false dilemmas etc.

This is a lot easier than "undoing" years and years of cumulative belief, even if it is flawed.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 16:39
    Your right, criticism is good. I have recieved enough it to last two lifetimes, and I welcome it. Criticism (positive) is a healthy method of learning and growing. My issue is that I have seen people take to heart what is being said about them, and what was spoken wasn't nice. Negative words can, and has changed people. Especially if that individual is emot ...[text shortened]... once), I dont think that, that will happen with anyone in the room, but why chance it.
    Read Conrau K's response to RC above.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 16:44
    So what are your views of Jesus? I admit I don't fully know where you are coming from myself.
    Send me a PM and we can discuss it. No sense cluttering up this thread with that.
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 22:58
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Y'know I didn't support the taco ban. I thought he should've been given a chance to reduce his posting,(although he may have already been given that chance, I dont know).

Yes, this is the place to be, for with spirituality follows all things, so you can kinda incorporate most sporting,cultural,etc ideas on here without having to go to the other foru ...[text shortened]... make an ass of myself on here, I think I would be doubly assy if I started posting there..πŸ™‚
    I'd sure like to know how one gets the power to "ban" anyone.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 23:41
    There is a lot of cockiness in this room, it's funny. Accusing people of not listening to what they are saying, but yet those same cocky people are quick to jump down anybody's throat who makes a statement they don't like. Why, Without naming names, I just want to know does anybody else feel this way or is it just me. No real debating just someone trying to ...[text shortened]... ight and Im wrong they will argue you to the death. Am I alone in this thought, just curious.
    Are you saying that I am cocky?

I guess I am.

But I am insecure too. At least that's what I've been told because I believe in God, and He's my crutch.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 23:43
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I'd sure like to know how one gets the power to "ban" anyone.
    Taco was banned?

But why? This is the first I've heard of it. I wish people would let me know what's going on around here! 😡

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree