1. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 04:04
    Can you find God, and be at one with God, doing what he/she expects of you without being associated to any religion?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 06:14
    Originally posted by Ian68
    Can you find God, and be at one with God, doing what he/she expects of you without being associated to any religion?
    They say no.
  3. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 15:27
    I say yes.
  4. DonationQuirine
    Tovenaar
    Dieren
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 15:31
    Yes you can. I do.
    But otherwise than you state: my God expects nothing from me.

Otto
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 17:16
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    I say yes.
    i say i agree
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 20:22
    Absolutely yes! , Jesus was at one with God and spent most of his time at odds with religion
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 20:393 edits
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Absolutely yes! , Jesus was at one with God and spent most of his time at odds with religion
    Yes and no. Christ frequented the temple to worship and, in fact, went into a rage when he saw the money changers defiling the timple and subsequently drove them out with a whip. Why would he do so if he cared nothing for the temple? Granted, he often clashed with the religious leaders only in that he exposed their hypocrisy. This, however, did not cause him to throw away the Torah or abandon the temple or the things of God.

My question to you is, do you want to do the will of God or your own will? If God be God he must have a work here on this earth to reach out to those in need. Do you want to be a part of this outreach? You see the religious leaders in the time of Jesus were more into themselves via social position and income rather than reaching out to those in need. This was one of Christs pet peeves and he blasetd the religious elite time and time again for such a pompous attitude.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 21:48
    I would say yes.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 03:08
    That is like asking can you experience the law of gravity without having to go to the science class room.

Of course you can find God without being religious. However those not experienced in God may be just as likely to label you as religious anyway.

Being labelled as "religious" is part of the persecution you may have to endure because you love God.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 03:23
    One does not FIND God. HE is not lost. We are lost, and He finds us.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 07:56
    Which God would that be?
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 22:251 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    One does not FIND God. HE is not lost. We are lost, and He finds us.
    That'a like a sign I heard of which read

"If you don't feel close to God, guess who moved."
  13. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 20:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes and no. Christ frequented the temple to worship and, in fact, went into a rage when he saw the money changers defiling the timple and subsequently drove them out with a whip. Why would he do so if he cared nothing for the temple? Granted, he often clashed with the religious leaders only in that he exposed their hypocrisy. This, however, did not cause ...[text shortened]... s pet peeves and he blasetd the religious elite time and time again for such a pompous attitude.
    You are right whodey. It's just hard to find a positive form of religion these days. I think my point is that following the living person of Christ is the main issue at hand , whether within or outside of religion. Despite what you say about the temple , he still spent most of the time in the fields.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 20:47
    One definition of "religion" is "the service and worship of God or the supernatural". By definition, a person who does what you have described is religious, even if they do not belong to any of the established religions.
  15. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '07 00:54
    I want to thank everyone for their replies.

I have always considered myself to be atheist, but more through a mistrust of mainstream religion than anything else. I think I am actually undecided and also more open minded than I would normally admit. In the most part peoples answers have made me realise that if I feel it's right, then I can adopt a more theistic position without compromising my own personal views of right and wrong. (As I have always felt these views come from somewhere deep within me, at the very least, it is not something I would ever wish to compromise.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree