1. Maryland
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 11:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    more mere opinion, unsubstantiated and masquerading as some kind of truth and yet
    another simple reflection of your prejudices of which we as theists and Jehovahs
    witnesses have overcome, its all just bricks in the wall!
    Deaths have occurred because of lack of blood transfusions. That is a fact. JW doctrine says no to blood donations. That is a fact. Where am I wrong? In fact, if a JW parent refused a life giving blood donation for his or her child, the state would consider it a crime and rightly so. These are facts. Your religious beliefs are mere beliefs not shared by atheists or even a majority of other theists. That is also a fact!
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 12:451 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]True science has made improvement on cleaning blood of a few problems but they are not there yet on perfecting it and making sure it is completely free from contaminants.

You are clearly misguided. Blood is not 'cleaned'. Blood is nowadays screened. Doners who are identified as carrying some pathogen are excluded in the screening process.
    mitted in the donation, what possible reason could God have to prohibit blood transfusions?[/b]
    Cleaned or screened you know what I meant and I have no idea what God will decide if that day comes when blood absolutly has no chance of harming us.
    As I mentioned before God views blood in a very serious way. It is not just some physical thing we have in or on our bodies such as a leg or lung or kidney.
    But as I said before many laws and commands that were established for the Isrealites were done away with the coming of Jesus to earth.
    But one law that was still confirmed was the use of blood for anything even for putting it into our bodies such as food. Wether it's put into our mouths or thru a needle, ( it's being used to sustain our life. )

This command was stated at Acts 15:28-29
    New Living Translation (NLT)
    28 “For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay no greater burden on you than these few requirements: 29 You must abstain from eating food offered to idols, from consuming blood or the meat of strangled animals, and from sexual immorality. If you do this, you will do well. Farewell.”

So even the amount of blood that would be trapped in a strangled animal was not to be eaten. It had to be bleed properly.

A little info on this: Noah and his sons were allowed by God to add animal flesh to their diet after the Flood, but they were strictly commanded not to eat blood. (Ge 9:1, 3, 4) God here set out a regulation that applied, not merely to Noah and his immediate family, but to all mankind from that time on, because all those living since the Flood are descendants of Noah’s family.
    Concerning the permanence of this prohibition, Joseph Benson noted: “It ought to be observed, that this prohibition of eating blood, given to Noah and all his posterity, and repeated to the Israelites, in a most solemn manner, under the Mosaic dispensation, has never been revoked, but, on the contrary, has been confirmed under the New Testament, Acts xv.; and thereby made of perpetual obligation.”—Benson’s Notes, 1839, Vol. I, p. 43.

So this command has not changed and has not been revoked by God, so it still applies today.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 12:52
    Receiving a blood transfusion is not the same as eating(drinking )blood.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 14:363 edits
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Deaths have occurred because of lack of blood transfusions. That is a fact. JW doctrine says no to blood donations. That is a fact. Where am I wrong? In fact, if a JW parent refused a life giving blood donation for his or her child, the state would consider it a crime and rightly so. These are facts. Your religious beliefs are mere beliefs not shared by atheists or even a majority of other theists. That is also a fact!
    In Scotland alone in a single instance 3000 haemophiliacs were given contaminated
    blood many of which died, FACT! i want you to state why that was morally
    acceptable and what is more i want you to state why if they had followed biblical
    principles in refusing a blood transfusion they would have been worse off, I want to
    hear you say it, why was giving those people contaminated blood, morally
    acceptable.

Whether our beliefs are shared by you or anyone ass a basis for legitimacy is just
    pure nonsense and perhaps reflects the stupidity of your argument, there are eight
    million Jehovahs witnesses worldwide who do share those same beliefs and
    principles making you argument as thin and as ludicrous as the majority of the
    second hand opinions you proffer to the forum, regurgitated and wholly unoriginal,
    in fact joe, have you ever had an original thought in your life, no offence intended
    but your simply another brick in the wall as far as i am concerned, no solutions,
    empty and deviod of anything but negativity and self certified opinions the basis of
    which lies in religious prejudice. Do we have the right of self determination, yes,
    then there is no issue, you take blood, we desist, your happy, were happy, end of
    story you can bitch about something else.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 14:411 edit
    In Scotland alone in a single instance 3000 haemophiliacs were given contaminated blood many of which died, FACT! i want you to state why that was morally acceptable and what is more i want you to state why if they had followed biblical principles in refusing a blood transfusion they would have been worse off, I want to hear you say it, why was givin ...[text shortened]... ake blood, we desist, your happy, were happy, end of
    story you can bitch about something else.
    Wasn't that 30-40 years ago? The question is, what are the statictics for infection like today?
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 14:48
    Well unless I'm wrong we usually eat food to keep us alive and the actual eating of blood does happen is a few societies to sustain life or to improve life in their view.
    If you were about to die of starvation and had no food at all except for a nice warm bowl of blood, what would you do to keep you alive? If your child was about to die, would you hand that bowl of blood to them?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 14:50
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Wasn't that 30-40 years ago? The question si what are the statictics for infection like today?
    it was in the nineteen eighties as you are very well aware, no the question is, why was
    it morally acceptable to give in one instance three thousand persons contaminated
    blood and secondly if they had adhered to biblical principles why would they have been
    worse off and lastly do we have the right of self determination, if so, they there is no
    issue, if not then you will explain why not.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:185 edits
    I looked this blood thing up in the Holy Bible and it turns out that my
    memory of this was not exactly correct. It was James and not Paul
    that suggested this compromise in receiving Gentiles into the Church.
    There had been a disagreement among the church members as to
    whether or not to require the gentile men to be circumcised to become
    members of the Church. So Paul and barnabas went to the church in
    Jerusalem to consult with the apostles and elders on this issue.

The account of this meeting is recorded in Acts 15. It was after Peter
    spoke in favor of not putting the burden of all these Jewish rules on
    the Gentiles and said, "But we believe that we are saved through the
    grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are." and all
    had stopped speaking that James suggested the compromise solution.

James said, "Brethren, listen to me. Simeon has related how God first
    concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His
    name. With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written,

‘AFTER THESE THINGS I will return,
    AND I WILL REBUILD THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID WHICH HAS FALLEN,
    AND I WILL REBUILD ITS RUINS,
    AND I WILL RESTORE IT,
    SO THAT THE REST OF MANKIND MAY SEEK THE LORD,
    AND ALL THE GENTILES WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME,’
    SAYS THE LORD, WHO MAKES THESE THINGS KNOWN FROM LONG AGO.

Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to
    God from among the Gentiles, but that we write to them that they abstain
    from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is
    strangled and from blood. For Moses from ancient generations has in every
    city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every
    Sabbath.”

Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to
    choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas—
    Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, and
    they sent this letter by them,

“The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch
    and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings.

“Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no
    instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls, it
    seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to
    you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, men who have risked their lives
    for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. “Therefore we have sent Judas and
    Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth.
    “For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater
    burden than these essentials: that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols
    and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep
    yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

(Acts 15:14-29 NASB)

Now, it seems to me that the Jehovah's Witnesses are missing the point
    of this meeting. That is, to allow Gentile believers to become members
    without putting the burden of becoming Jewish through circumcision and
    rules that the Jews were not able to keep. The requirement, seems to me,
    is that they depart from their old pagan religious worship of idols, which
    included blood sacrifices.

It is my opinion that the JWs are adding to the words of scripture when
    they say that blood transfusions is somehow related to Pagan idol worship.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I looked this blood thing up in the Holy Bible and it turns out that my
    memory of this was not exactly correct. It was James and not Paul
    that suggested this compromise in receiving Gentiles into the Church.
    There had been a disagreement among the church members as to
    whether or not to require the gentile men to be circumcised to become
    members of the ...[text shortened]... f scripture when
    they say that blood transfusions is somehow related to Pagan idol worship.
    And where do you get this thought from?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:30
    Originally posted by galveston75
    And where do you get this thought from?
    The thoughts come from my mind after reading what the actual text of
    the Holy bible says. I have a very logical mind as many on this site can
    attest to.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:351 edit
    attest to.
    I'm referring to the thought that you think we think blood trans have to do with pagan idol worship and that we're adding some kind of burden?
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:36
    it was in the nineteen eighties as you are very well aware, no the question is, why was
    it morally acceptable to give in one instance three thousand persons contaminated
    blood and secondly if they had adhered to biblical principles why would they have been
    worse off and lastly do we have the right of self determination, if so, they there is no
    issue, if not then you will explain why not.
    It was in the 1970's and 1980's. I'm not 'very well aware', although i do recall having a conversation with you abut this before.

Let's turn this around. How many people are there who are alive today, but would be dead if they followed your Biblical principles? By that i mean, how many peoples lives have been saved because of blood transfusions in emergency rooms? Countless.

As for your self-determination, it's a watered down half-hearted version really. You can't claim self-determination if you don't support euthanasia. It's nonsensical. Personally if you're a grown adult and don't wish to have a blood transfusion, i really couldn't give a 'hoot'. That's one less religious zealot in the world in my eyes.
    I was just pointing out that something which happened 30+ years ago doesn't have a bearing on the procedures which are in place today.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:37
    attest to.
    yeah that will be shining bright!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:421 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It was in the 1970's and 1980's. I'm not 'very well aware', although i do recall having a conversation with you abut this before.

Let's turn this around. How many people are there who are alive today, but would be dead if they followed your Biblical principles? By that i mean, how many peoples lives have been saved because of blood trans 0+ years ago doesn't have a bearing on the procedures which are in place today.
    Let's turn this around, lets not! 😛 As for your assertion as was pointed out to Conrau
    smonrau, you have no way of knowing if any number of those persons would not have
    also recovered if alternatives had been offered to them, the argument therefore is
    logically flawed! In the singular instance of blood transfusions do we have the right of
    self determination or do we not? yes we do, end of issue!

BTW I am now leader of the knock on wood clan, we have a new logo, sultry Amii
    Stewart and we shall be grooving our way to success next year, can ya dig it, ya'l!
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:50
    Let's turn this around, lets not! 😛 As for your assertion as was pointed out to Conrau
    smonrau, you have no way of knowing if any number of those persons would not have
    also recovered if alternatives had been offered to them, the argument therefore is
    logically flawed! In the singular instance of blood transfusions do we have the right of ...[text shortened]... try Amii
    Stewart and we shall be grooving our way to success next year, can ya dig it, ya'l!
    Of course you don't want to turn it around, that's because your argument would then fall flat on it's arse.

Of course you have the right to (a watered down version of) self determination, i have never claimed you haven't. Your talking to someone who supports euthanasia. You don't.

The fact still remains, something which happened 30+ years ago is not indicative of standards and procedures we have here and now in the 21st Century.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree