1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 12:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i myself, prior to adopting the Christ as a model, studied and practised as best i could, the theories of Alistair Crowley. i had a copy of Magic in Theory and Practice. however, i soon found that it was not so easy, the meditation techniques were torturous, especially the stances (he claimed that it would eventually become like getting into a hot ...[text shortened]... ot in fact the path to happiness for me, on the contrary i now think that it is self defeating..
    Why am I not surprised?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 12:40
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Why am I not surprised?
    i dunno, you tell me?
  3. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 13:32
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    JWs hold the teachings of Russell in higher regard than the teachings of Christ. Thats a prime characteristic of a religious cult.
    an interesting fact. early in his printing ministry Russell was partner's with Nelson H. Barbour who was in fact a trinitarian
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 14:241 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    an interesting fact. early in his printing ministry Russell was partner's with Nelson H. Barbour who was in fact a trinitarian
    yes but why don't you mention the fact that they parted ways because he denied the sin atoning ransom sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ. why, well i think the forum has worked out why, by now. more slander anyone?
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 15:03
    yes but why don't you mention the fact that they parted ways because he denied the sin atoning ransom sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ. why, well i think the forum has worked out why, by now. more slander anyone?
    actually I didn't know that, thank you for sharing. I just thought it was interesting that a unitarian and a trinitarian were partners in ministry, especially in the light of the modern rancor between the two.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 15:48
    Originally posted by galveston75
    My parents explained it to me when I was 6. When they told me that God didn't approve of it..No problem.
    so your parents have convinced themselves that God in all his omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, and perfect goodness, would be concerned about whether or not some little kid had a birthday party? thats sounds stupid.

btw, how do they know? have they also convinced themselves they talk personally to God and know all his opinions regarding festivities?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 15:581 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    I missed them just explain. Is it in the ten commandments? πŸ˜‰ Where does it say "Thou shalt not celebrate thy Birthday" It's not in the bible. Just as trinity is not. So there you have it just because a word is not in the bible does not preclude the concept.

Manny
    PS for Sheezy!!
    I keep thinking you really want the answers out of wanting to honestly know then you make silly commenst like this...... Forget it...
  8. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 16:14
    Originally posted by menace71
    That's Ludicrous! πŸ™‚ Tell me where in the bible it says you can't celebrate birthdays? Just as the word trinity is not in the bible so is the command Thou shalt not celibrate birthdays. That's whacky!!!

Manny
    It's a good idea don't you think ? I hate special days. Christmas is the nightmare of nightmares. Who cares about birthdays other than a little kid wanting gifts ? I think the J.W. people are nut's in numerous way's but I love the no special day's idea.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 16:43
    Originally posted by duecer
    actually I didn't know that, thank you for sharing. I just thought it was interesting that a unitarian and a trinitarian were partners in ministry, especially in the light of the modern rancor between the two.
    ok, ok, seeing you are being nice to me, i shall forgive your little escapades into defamation.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 17:16
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    πŸ™‚
    (same initials as Jack Black. Rock on!!!)
    But from the JWs point of view he might have thought that 666 was from the bible and would explain why he tried so hard. If you believed in that then you believe in the bible. From his perspective he might be trying to win you over to the good side.πŸ™‚
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 17:211 edit
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    But from the JWs point of view he might have thought that 666 was from the bible and would explain why he tried so hard. If you believed in that then you believe in the bible. From his perspective he might be trying to win you over to the good side.πŸ™‚
    when i was sixteen a witness came to my home, i was actually playing my guitar at the time ( a red fender strat for those who know anything about it ) and into iron maiden, so i took the opportunity and asked him about the number of the beast, he came back to answer my question and my mom chased him away. i remember running after him when i found out who was at the door, but he was gone!
  12. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 18:38
    i dunno, you tell me?
    The mark of a not too intellectual adolescent rebelling against the old folks for no particular reason (and I shudder to add, someone without a great deal of positive influence from the home folks.) This is just my particular observations based on experience! Your situation may be different - I don't mean to insult you just to understand. I have a theory that a great deal of human behavior and reactions can be explained by how we first confront our own sense of responsibility. Ever known a young person that seemed 'old' in their outlook? Or a 30-something that couldn't appreciate the effect of their actions on others? Which were you?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 19:023 edits
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    The mark of a not too intellectual adolescent rebelling against the old folks for no particular reason (and I shudder to add, someone without a great deal of positive influence from the home folks.) This is just my particular observations based on experience! Your situation may be different - I don't mean to insult you just to understand. I have a theory 30-something that couldn't appreciate the effect of their actions on others? Which were you?
    you are correct, my parents were liberal, very liberal, my father was away a lot, (he was a technician working for oil companies, so he was in Sudan, Saudi Arabia, the North Sea, but gave it up after the Brent oil disaster etc etc), my mother tried to cope the best she could, but she had four kids and it was almost impossible to control us all.

Actually i did not like being a teenager, i was shy , a little introverted and lacked confidence. The only thing i really excelled at was painting and drawing.

now comes the part where i leave home at seventeen, go to the city, dawn a fur coat and baseball boots and die my hair peroxide blond evern though it came out an orange colour ( i fell asleep with the bag on my head), man i thought i was cool! by this time i was smoking copious amounts of ganja, snorting amphetamines, and taking the odd acid tab which i loved! the change of perception was overwhelming and i can still feel that initial sense of responsibility that I think you are referring to, that this was our life, and what would become of us. it was and still is quite scary.

the problem with drugs, and i do not think that this is refutable, although my brother tries, is that it absolves one of responsibility, at least temporarily. we do not need to deal with our emotional make-up, the drugs take care of that. perhaps its the banality of life, the need for escapism, the release from cerebral thoughts and doubts, i do not know, but that they stifle our willingness for responsibility i do not think is refutable.

actually my father and mother do nothing but read, and we were always encouraged to do the same, whether that makes us not to intellectually inclined, i do not know?
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 19:15
    Originally posted by buckky
    It's a good idea don't you think ? I hate special days. Christmas is the nightmare of nightmares. Who cares about birthdays other than a little kid wanting gifts ? I think the J.W. people are nut's in numerous way's but I love the no special day's idea.
    Every new day is the best excuse for celebrations, birthdays and Chrismas and of course Jan. 25 and all; An sheerly yil bee yur pynt-staup! An sheerly al bee myn! An will tak a cup o kyndnes yet, fir ald lang syn😡
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 19:20
    you are correct, my parents were liberal, very liberal, my father was away a lot, (he was a technician working for oil companies, so he was in Sudan, Saudi Arabia, the North Sea, but gave it up after the Brent oil disaster etc etc), my mother tried to cope the best she could, but she had four kids and it was almost impossible to control us all.

Ac ...[text shortened]... encouraged to do the same, whether that makes us not to intellectually inclined, i do not know?
    Aince awa, aye awa my trusty feer Robbie😡

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree