1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 20:221 edit
    I love my birthday. Its the one day a year I dont have to worry about how loud my voice is or how drunk I get or how loud my music is, etc. Its my Day! And some other people's.

Now I know some people dont like to celebrate their birthdays, and thats fine,but I just love it. Even if I stay home by myself or whatever.

Now as for Christmas, tha financial burden, the drunken family flair-ups, the "when is this day over" syndrome, I could definately do without.
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 22:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I love my birthday. Its the one day a year I dont have to worry about how loud my voice is or how drunk I get or how loud my music is, etc. Its my Day! And some other people's.

Now I know some people dont like to celebrate their birthdays, and thats fine,but I just love it. Even if I stay home by myself or whatever.

Now as for Christmas, tha fin ...[text shortened]... runken family flair-ups, the "when is this day over" syndrome, I could definately do without.
    I kinda agree on Christmas. Too much attention is paid to the secular part, and not enough to the religious part. My favorite part is the Christmas eve midnight service, most of the rest i could do without. Also we have a big christmas breakfast which I love, as the whole family sits around the table. By time dinner is served, I'm ready for a quiet walk by myself.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 23:14
    Originally posted by galveston75
    My parents explained it to me when I was 6. When they told me that God didn't approve of it..No problem.
    Thats another thing we were discussing- like how sometimes you have to listen to god and your own concience and at other times you need to listen to people (other Witnesses) to get to the heart of the matter.
    How in the hell are you supposed to know which one to listen to when?

I just listen to my own consience all the time. Sure, I make mistakes , but at least they are my mistakes.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 23:292 edits
    Thats another thing we were discussing- like how sometimes you have to listen to god and your own concience and at other times you need to listen to people (other Witnesses) to get to the heart of the matter.
    How in the hell are you supposed to know which one to listen to when?

I just listen to my own consience all the time. Sure, I make mistakes , but at least they are my mistakes.
    yes Karoly, it is likened to a compass ( the conscience), in that it provides direction. The really interesting thing, is that what might be a sensitive issue for you, may not be for me, and vice versa. This is further compounded by the fact that not only does our personal make up affect the conscience, but it itself may be sensitised or desensitised through use or lack of. For if a compass is put into close proximity with another magnetic field, it is drawn off true north, yet is still seems to work. Thus what we are encouraged to do, is get Gods viewpoint on matters, to meditate upon them ( i cannot over emphasise how important this latter aspect is) and then ultimately we can make a conscience based decision. No one can do this for us. The part of listening to what others may think is important, for perhaps they are more knowledgeable, have more experience in a particular field, yet ultimately, we must consider their advice and make our own conscience based decision from what we have gleaned.

by the way did you get an answer with regard to smoking and alcohol?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 00:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes Karoly, it is likened to a compass ( the conscience), in that it provides direction. The really interesting thing, is that what might be a sensitive issue for you, may not be for me, and vice versa. This is further compounded by the fact that not only does our personal make up affect the conscience, but it itself may be sensitised or desensitise ...[text shortened]... om what we have gleaned.

by the way did you get an answer with regard to smoking and alcohol?
    An answer from the JW visitor you mean?
    He said that you cant smoke but that you can drink alcohol in moderation. Does anyone know what the logic is behind that? I would've had it the other way around.

I dont smoke a lot(maybe 2 or 3 on average a day) but I couldn't give it up. I also couldn't deny my son his fourth birthday. Sorry...
    I'll just have to tell him when he comes next week for another lesson.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 01:32
    An answer from the JW visitor you mean?
    He said that you cant smoke but that you can drink alcohol in moderation. Does anyone know what the logic is behind that? I would've had it the other way around.

I dont smoke a lot(maybe 2 or 3 on average a day) but I couldn't give it up. I also couldn't deny my son his fourth birthday. Sorry...
    I'll just have to tell him when he comes next week for another lesson.
    Well it's actually logic from the Bible.
    Did not the Jews in Jesus days not drink wine?
    Did not Jesus turn water into wine?
    What is condemed is drunkeness.

The issues with smoking and this is proved over and over in the medicle field is that it is not good for your health.
    The Bible makes it very clear that our life's are a gift from God. There are many, many examples in the Bible as to how God views any abuse that we may do to it.
    Rom 12:1. Eph 5:26-32. 1Cor 6:13, 15-20.
    True there are no scriptures in the Bible that say: "Do not smoke". But if one really looks at these and other scriptures and try to see what the human body is in God's eyes, maybe it will help to see how he would view smoking.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 06:07
    Well it's actually logic from the Bible.
    Did not the Jews in Jesus days not drink wine?
    Did not Jesus turn water into wine?
    What is condemed is drunkeness.

The issues with smoking and this is proved over and over in the medicle field is that it is not good for your health.
    The Bible makes it very clear that our life's are a gift from God. T ...[text shortened]... what the human body is in God's eyes, maybe it will help to see how he would view smoking.
    Thnx for the explanation...

Smoking is not good for your health . Neither is life.
    This is a very interesting issue in the sense that the Jw's seem to know how to go about achieving salvation, through doing this and not doing that, and nowhere has it been proven one way or another.

I reckon the question is the question of division in the mind. Whether to be a smoker or not. A drinker or not.

Just dilute... Dilute all your sins. Dont go against anything. Accept evertything. Stay open to evertything and everybody...After all you just dont know where your 'salvation' will be coming from.
    "Amen" to all you christian brothers. I really dont want you to change, maybe make some slight modifications, but nothing drastic.

We are all climbimg the same mountain...
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 02:17
    Thnx for the explanation...

Smoking is not good for your health . Neither is life.
    This is a very interesting issue in the sense that the Jw's seem to know how to go about achieving salvation, through doing this and not doing that, and nowhere has it been proven one way or another.

I reckon the question is the question of division in the mind. ...[text shortened]... some slight modifications, but nothing drastic.

We are all climbimg the same mountain...
    True, alot of things in life aren't good for us. None of us are perfect at all. I know I'm not by any streatch of the imagination. But we do have to try and understand God's laws, principles and also examples that he put in the bible for us to follow and the side effect of that is it will keep our bodies healthy.
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 04:452 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    whats ludicrous is you armchair evangelists preaching from the comfort of your pc pontificating to others about things you have no idea. if he was to wait for any of you to show up and ask if he would like to learn bible truth he would wait forever!
    LOL 🙂 dude I work 50+ hours a week. Your on the P.C. doing the same. When do you go out and preach? Next time some JW's come over I will go out of my way to have a bible study with them. The Kingdom hall is right down the street. I don't need to prove myself to anyone but God. Actually I don't preach to anyone really I'm not so presumptuous. If they ask about the bible then I will go there with them. I have discussions with JW's & Mormons. Most of the time it's pointless because they are so brained washed that they don't see it any other way. Can't question your organization or you will be excommunicated!? I would rather be an atheist than a brain washed JW. You guys suck the joy out of life. Don't touch! Don't drink! Don't do this or that! Christ came to abolish this foolishness! The Law will not save you. Works will not save you. God is the only one who can save anyone. Why are you guys serving Jehovah God anyway? You might if your lucky get to be in paradise. Jesus says he who believes in me (on me) will have eternal life. Not maybe but will have it. When you & galveston start threads should we all just bow down to what you say? I think it's the epitome of arrogance when you believe that. We are not allowed to counter or question or out right disagree? Expect it! However it's not persecution if people disagree with your take on the bible as JW's might believe. I hope God sends some JW's my way so we can sit down with our bibles out.

Manny
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 04:56
    I keep thinking you really want the answers out of wanting to honestly know then you make silly commenst like this...... Forget it...
    You are becoming more self righteous as of late. I hope it (your righteousness) exceeds that of the scribes & pharisees. I have fun with the irony of life. I was just having fun while asking the questions. Seriously though galveston you guys will never convert me. I have no desire to be a JW. I do however desire to know truth. I love and enjoy the bible and you can say whatever you desire but that does not change what I know.

Manny
    PS for Sheezy 🙂
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 05:021 edit
    Answer the question for my sake. Why are JW's not allowed to celebrate B-days? You tell me why. I will answer any question you would like as straight forward as possible. I was trying to express how silly this sounds to non-JW's

Manny
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 07:581 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    LOL 🙂 dude I work 50+ hours a week. Your on the P.C. doing the same. When do you go out and preach? Next time some JW's come over I will go out of my way to have a bible study with them. The Kingdom hall is right down the street. I don't need to prove myself to anyone but God. Actually I don't preach to anyone really I'm not so presumptuous. If they ask ab hope God sends some JW's my way so we can sit down with our bibles out.

Manny
    good, for if you are sincerely interested in finding out what the Bible says, then they shall help you, if you are interested only in argumentative talk, do not be surprised if they leave.

Hard work is to be recommended, but many of Jehovahs witnesses have given up very lucrative careers and taken on part time work with the express desire to reach as many persons with the 'good news of Gods Kingdom', as is possible. This is in harmony with the inspired word, for as has been shown, it is the will of the father that, 'all sorts of men should be saved', as Paul has shown, how will they hear unless someone is sent forth, plus, as has been shown, teaching requires more than merely delivering a message, the students background, educational level, propensity for learning must all be taken into consideration.

the fact remains that Christ went from village to village, he sent the apostles from house to house in advance to search for those who were interested, Paul himself spoke publicly and taught house to house, sets the pattern for true Christians.

this is a heavy responsibility, for Christ himself gave an excellent illustration of the man, who simply does nothing with the truth that he has learned.

(Matthew 25:24-27) . . .“Finally the one that had received the one talent came forward and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be an exacting man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not winnow.  So I grew afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’  In reply his master said to him, ‘Wicked and sluggish slave, you knew, did you, that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not winnow?  Well, then, you ought to have deposited my silver monies with the bankers, and on my arrival I would be receiving what is mine with interest.

and please reflect on this interesting verse

(Luke 11:23) . . .he that does not gather with me scatters. . .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree