1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 16:17
    I struggle greatly with maintaining my spiritual practice.

After years of searching, I have finally stumbled on a spiritual path that seems promising - perhaps even right for me. (Mainly involving meditation and reducing the role of the ego.)

One problem is that once it gives me a better day or two, I start thinking I don't need it anymore. So I end up out of practice and back where I started.

Would others please share any tips they may have for establishing a spiritual routine?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 16:30
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem

After years of searching, I have finally stumbled on a spiritual path that seems promising - perhaps even right for me. (Mainly involving meditation and reducing the role of the ego.)

One problem is that once it gives me a better day or two, I start thinking I don't need it anymore. So I ...[text shortened]... arted.

Would others please share any tips they may have for establishing a spiritual routine?
    My own spiritual routine is to check each morning that I don't have a spiritual routine. (I'm wary of picking one up accidentally).

I genuinely wish you well though in your search. Even as an atheist i strive to be altruistically mindful, which I find cathartic to my ego.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 16:34

One problem is that once it gives me a better day or two, I start thinking I don't need it anymore. So I ...[text shortened]... arted.

What's the aim of your spiritual practice?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 17:19

What exactly is a 'spiritual practice'?
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 18:11
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What's the aim of your spiritual practice?
    Trying to be more peaceful.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 18:551 edit
    Perhaps it would help for you to rethink your spiritual goal.

From what little you've told me, you reach your goal, become satisfied and lose your motivation since you've attained your goal.

Also, the whole concept of a the goal of attaining "peace" or "happiness" seems terribly flawed to me in light of the role / desires of the ego.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 19:05
    And you still visit this forum? That's your first mistake right there.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 22:43

I found some people are routine people and some aren't.

I meditate when it feels rite and with all things often the hardest part is to begin.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 22:45

And whatever you do put your whole being into it.
    Even taking out the trash can be a mindful spiritual practice.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 06:59
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    And whatever you do put your whole being into it.
    Even taking out the trash can be a mindful spiritual practice.
    Depends what's in the trash.

Regards

Your Spiritual Arch Nemesis
  11. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 11:52

Hi BDP,

Your honest and important OP has brought me out of selfimposed exile. We share this "problem", and just maybe my experience may be able to help you.

I started some ten or twelve years ago to do a twenty minute twice a day meditation practice, also called mindfullness. But many times I almost gave up, because it did not "work". I just could not stop my thoughts from wandering all over, and also did not see the expected "benefit" of total inner peace.

Fortunately we (my wife and I) have persisted. Advice we received from various sources, (including my Bhuddist son) is that one should NOT look for short term, or even external evidence of "benefits" (however one would even try to formulate them) but just to persist. If you do it to ATTAIN something, you will miss it.

The "benefits" have been proven over and over by others, so just continue.

Looking back, the changes in our lives and outlook have been significant.

Some succinct advice from anothr source that I could share would be from Jim Finley, who advised seekers after Spirituality to do three things:
    1. Find a spiritual practice and stick with it
    2. Find your spiritual teacher (or teaching) and follow them
    3. Find your community and live in it.

This advice is universal, and even applies to atheists who are denying the need for a spiritual practice or community. Their answers would just be: None, Bertrand Russell (e.g.) and The World.

But for us it has been significant and helpful advice. May it be for you too.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 21:33
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Depends what's in the trash.

Regards

Your Spiritual Arch Nemesis
    Come on now with this Arch Nemesis business. Start a thread please, so at least I can clarify what this is all about . I thought I knew, but I'm getting less and less sure.

And no, it doesn't depend on what's in the trash
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 21:403 edits
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Hi BDP,

Your honest and important OP has brought me out of selfimposed exile. We share this "problem", and just maybe my experience may be able to help you.

I started some ten or twelve years ago to do a twenty minute twice a day meditation practice, also called mindfullness. But many times I almost gave up, because it did not "work". I just could not ...[text shortened]... and The World.

But for us it has been significant and helpful advice. May it be for you too.
    .Agreed. i mean you could go on for pages if the audience was in the right spirit.
    But in the end it (spiritual practice,Divination, etc. ) has to have an element of individuality about it. The answers ARE inside.

I feel this thread was started to highlight the doubt associated with practice. To me doubt means your on the right track (Hence the Zen tradition of "Great Doubt" ).

And even meditating and non-meditating are dual ways of thinking..
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 22:31

Read God's Word and find peace with God. Jesus is the only way to a lasting spiritual practice that means anything.

Or you can keep on...2 Timothy 3:7 Reveal Hidden Content
    Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 17:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And you still visit this forum? That's your first mistake right there.
    This forum tests my progress. If I can remain peaceful while I'm in here, then I can do it almost anywhere. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree