1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 17:34
    Originally posted by josephw
    Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    I hope to carry on this way. I don't ever want to stop learning, and I don't want to kid myself and think I know all the answers.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 17:371 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    And whatever you do put your whole being into it.
    Even taking out the trash can be a mindful spiritual practice.
    This is good advice that others also have given me. My mind tends to wander during mundane tasks and I go through them on auto pilot. I develop the habit of not being present.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 17:41
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Hi BDP,

Your honest and important OP has brought me out of selfimposed exile. We share this "problem", and just maybe my experience may be able to help you.

I started some ten or twelve years ago to do a twenty minute twice a day meditation practice, also called mindfullness. But many times I almost gave up, because it did not "work". I just could not ...[text shortened]... and The World.

But for us it has been significant and helpful advice. May it be for you too.
    Yeah, the community bit is important. Work got intense and I started missing out on it. Need to get back there.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 17:42
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Perhaps it would help for you to rethink your spiritual goal.

From what little you've told me, you reach your goal, become satisfied and lose your motivation since you've attained your goal.

Also, the whole concept of a the goal of attaining "peace" or "happiness" seems terribly flawed to me in light of the role / desires of the ego.
    It isn't just inner peace I seek, but also peaceful relations with others.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 18:39
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I didn't have just "inner peace" in mind.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 19:26
    This is good advice that others also have given me. My mind tends to wander during mundane tasks and I go through them on auto pilot. I develop the habit of not being present.
    I've had this advice to and it's an easy one to forget.

One of the most peaceful moments I've ever had was cementing in the gaps in my patio once, a long time ago, while between life junctions. It was this time of year, the sun was out, I was so relaxed and just lived in the moment for a couple of weeks.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 01:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I've had this advice to and it's an easy one to forget.

One of the most peaceful moments I've ever had was cementing in the gaps in my patio once, a long time ago, while between life junctions. It was this time of year, the sun was out, I was so relaxed and just lived in the moment for a couple of weeks.
    It's funny how it's easy, for me at least, to get so caught up in planning and making "improvements" and setting goals and worrying about tomorrow that I can't appreciate what's right there in front of me.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 02:10
    I think all good things flow more from equilibrium than from a set of actions that might be described as "practice", or, shall we say, good actions (practice) stem from a state of balance.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 18:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think all good things flow more from equilibrium than from a set of actions that might be described as "practice", or, shall we say, good actions (practice) stem from a state of balance.
    Do you suppose spiritual practice could help in reaching a "state of balance"?
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 21:211 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    My own spiritual routine is to check each morning that I don't have a spiritual routine.
    (I'm wary of picking one up accidentally).

Always carry a pack of disinfectant wipes in case you need a #2 in a public loo.
    (And beware of transsexuals, transgenders and men in hats)
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Apr '16 07:01
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Always carry a pack of disinfectant wipes in case you need a #2 in a public loo.
    (And beware of transsexuals, transgenders and men in hats)
    I'm more wary of women who smoke pipes.

Am open to psychoanalysis.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Apr '16 21:27
    It's funny how it's easy, for me at least, to get so caught up in planning and making "improvements" and setting goals and worrying about tomorrow that I can't appreciate what's right there in front of me.
    Yeah, what are you planning for?

Taking care of our physical needs takes but 5-10% of our time, but most people obsess over physicality ,objects and so forth without ever getting "happier"
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Apr '16 21:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    I see a difference between good practice and good works, but also conceded that they overlap
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Apr '16 03:02
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yeah, what are you planning for?

Taking care of our physical needs takes but 5-10% of our time, but most people obsess over physicality ,objects and so forth without ever getting "happier"
    Usually nothing too important - what I'm going to eat when I get off work, or what I'm going to do tomorrow, etc. - but I can seemingly find a million little things like this on a given day...
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Apr '16 16:22
    I struggle greatly with maintaining my spiritual practice.

After years of searching, I have finally stumbled on a spiritual path that seems promising - perhaps even right for me. (Mainly involving meditation and reducing the role of the ego.)

One problem is that once it gives me a better day or two, I start thinking I don't need it anymore. So I ...[text shortened]... arted.

Would others please share any tips they may have for establishing a spiritual routine?
    A spiritual practice like meditation is on-going, unlike, for example, baptism which is an event. And that's exactly the point about it's being a practice: one has to practice it to get proficient at it. When one reaches a certain level of proficiency, it becomes second nature, something like a habit (but a good habit instead of a bad one). Keep going. You'll get there eventually.

BTW: when you 'get there' you'll see that there's no there there. Mindfulness will have become as easy and automatic as breathing. (The comparison is not trivial; this is why many meditation traditions start by teaching novices to concentrate on their breathing.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree