1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 14:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The evidence is going to be the same no matter who is right, someone is
    just going to be wrong on the way they look at it. The difference between you
    and me, I don't claim to know how old it is. For me it is a matter of faith,
    you are the one that is claiming to have all the right answers. Which makes
    you the only one between us, that can be wrong about it.
    I know what you believe, we've had these discussions many times before. You believe the universe to be in the thousands of years old.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 14:36
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I know what you believe, we've had these discussions many times before. You believe the universe to be in the thousands of years old.
    Yes
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 20:43
    It means I accept the overwhelming evidence gathered from centuries of scientific endeavour.
    You are also accepting the assumptions they have been making to come to the 14 billion year old figure also. Just a few hundred years ago many of the scientists assumed the universe was eternal. Only those that believed in the Genesis account in the Holy Bible accepted that the universe had a beginning. 😏
  4. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 21:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You are also accepting the assumptions they have been making to come to the 14 billion year old figure also. Just a few hundred years ago many of the scientists assumed the universe was eternal. Only those that believed in the Genesis account in the Holy Bible accepted that the universe had a beginning. 😏
    Do you know what assumptions they are making to arrive at the 14 billion figure?
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 22:251 edit
    Yes
    did you know that michael behe, the scientist that is held in such high esteem by the i.d. lobby. the man you guys quote and wheel out to disprove the theory of evolution................thinks that the universe is billions of years old.

edit: btw your car travelling down the motorway analogy doesnt work, you should get a new analogy.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 07:13
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Do you know what assumptions they are making to arrive at the 14 billion figure?
    Even the scientists don't know all the assumptions they are making. 😏
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 07:15
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    did you know that michael behe, the scientist that is held in such high esteem by the i.d. lobby. the man you guys quote and wheel out to disprove the theory of evolution................thinks that the universe is billions of years old.

edit: btw your car travelling down the motorway analogy doesnt work, you should get a new analogy.
    No one but God knows it all. 😏
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 07:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Even the scientists don't know all the assumptions they are making. 😏
    And you know this how exactly?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 08:15
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    And you know this how exactly?
    Intuision. 😏
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 10:04
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

I don't ever recall quoting Behe and to tell you the truth, I don't care what
    he thinks! I've maintained I don't know how old the universe is or the earth
    and that to those that do make such claims they are talking out of their
    a$$ they have no real knowledge only best guesses. I believe it is all a
    matter of faith, you cannot know, you cannot prove one way or another!
    To top it all off I don't even think it is all that important compared what
    does matter which are what we do today. The only way you'd really be able
    to tell what to look at would be to know how it all started, and no one that
    I know of besides people of faith even make that claim!
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 10:36
    matter of faith, you cannot know, you cannot prove one ...[text shortened]... now how it all started, and no one that
    'Faith' and 'guesses'?! I reckon you and I have different definitions for those words. I think you maybe using them in a non-standard fashion.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 13:08
    'Faith' and 'guesses'?! I reckon you and I have different definitions for those words. I think you maybe using them in a non-standard fashion.
    I'm not sure I have a different definition than you do or anyone else for
    that matter. If you believe in something you cannot prove or disprove you
    have faith. I believe, but acknowledge I could be wrong, I don't have the
    certainly someone has who knows they are right and cannot be wrong.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 13:19
    matter of faith, you cannot know, you cannot prove one ...[text shortened]... now how it all started, and no one that
    i find this 'if you are not there to see it, then how do we know what happened' fascinating (and slightly odd).

id be interested to know where you stand on forensic evidence used in a court of law. if there are no eye witnesses to a crime do you believe forensic evidence should or shouldnt be used?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 17:00
    One can have faith in something that has been proved too. I bet even Proper Knob has faith in the effects of gravity while on earth, not so much on the moon, etc. The apostles had faith in Jesus after they saw that He had risen from the dead. 😏
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 17:494 edits
    How confident are you that the parents that brought you up are actually your real biological parent. You're just guessing they are right? I mean, you weren't taking notes when you 0 years of age and so how can you possibly know who your real parents are given you cannot even recall the exact point you popped out of your real mother's vagina, let alone the actual previous owners of the sperm and egg which led to you!?? You only know what people have told you!

You should be just as confident that I am your father as you are that the person who masquerades as such.

But that said, you have no such doubts ... because you don't employ this ludicrous reasoning in any setting other than that which conflicts with your narrow minded view that the earth was created at the same time as a tree of magical fruits, and talking snakes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree