1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 05:24
    Evil does not racially discriminate.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46299239

Pastor found guilty of rape in South Korea.

No Church is immune to this stuff.
    Yet it is what all churches preach - submitting to higher authority.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 06:29
    @wolfgang59 said

It’s corporate religion in action. Same with the JWs and the child sex abuse. Same with the Catholic priests. Etc. Every corporate church I attended preached some form of submission to authority. The problem isn’t Christianity, it’s humans misusing religious authority and preying on the weak minded.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 07:18
    @divegeester said
    It’s corporate religion in action. Same with the JWs and the child sex abuse. Same with the Catholic priests. Etc. Every corporate church I attended preached some form of submission to authority. The problem isn’t Christianity, it’s humans misusing religious authority and preying on the weak minded.
    When seen as a ratio between abusers and the number of victims/members, the Salvation Army was easily the worst according to the recent Australian Royal Commission on Sex Abuse.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 09:31
    @fmf said
    When seen as a ratio between abusers and the number of victims/members, the Salvation Army was easily the worst according to the recent Australian Royal Commission on Sex Abuse.
    On the face of it that is a surprising fact; I guess the SA are seen as being more of a charity than a corporate religious body.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 10:06
    @divegeester said
    The problem is religion.

They all were founded in good intent by (I believe) good men.
    But throughout the ages religion has been abused.
    Further demonstrating the lack of gods.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 10:59
    @wolfgang59 said
    The problem is religion.

religion....a smile on a dog.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 11:51
    @wolfgang59 said

It is a fallen world we live in, fallen people do things that show their natures have
    been corrupted from acting out of love for one another into other things. Having
    a job that is supposed to be respected as one who is above such things, doesn't
    take a person's heart and mend them so that is how they behave as we all think
    they should. Pastors, priests, police officers, public servants, childcare workers
    teachers, IRS employees don't automatically become immune to sinful activities.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 13:431 edit
    @wolfgang59

The problem is religion.

So you are positive that occasions of religious hypocrisy is firm proof that there is no God?

You reason that God's reality is negated by the occasion of a moral failure of one moving about among believers, even claiming to BE one himself.

Should we adopt the same kind of logic and say the moral failing of an atheist demonstrates that the non-existence of God is an unreliable philosophy?

Is Atheism automatically invalidated when accompanied by a moral failure of an Atheist somewhere ?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 21:22
    @sonship said
    @wolfgang59

The problem is religion.

So you are positive that occasions of religious hypocrisy is firm proof that there is no God?

You reason that God's reality is negated by the occasion of ...[text shortened]... eism automatically invalidated when accompanied by a moral failure of an Atheist somewhere ?
    1. I am not saying any philosophy is refuted.
    2. There is no atheist philosophy.

I am asking if there were a god - what on Earth is he doing while all this stuff goes on?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 02:43
    @wolfgang59 said
    Well according to many of the Christians here, if the pastor believes in Jesus and is repentant, he will have everlasting life; while his victims, if they lost their faith as a result of being raped by the pastor, they will be tortured by Jesus for eternity.

Apparently, the pastor cannot earn his way into "Heaven" by being a good person ~ e.g. by not raping people ~ he can only go to "Heaven" if he believes in Jesus. If he believes in Jesus, he will be "forgiven" for raping people. If the people he raped are not Christians, that's unforgivable and diabolical. Apparently.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 02:59
    @sonship said

You reason that God's reality is negated by the occasion of a moral failure of one moving about among believers, even claiming to BE one himself.

Should we adopt the same kind of logic and say the moral failing of an atheist demonstrates that the non-existence of God is an unr ...[text shortened]... eism automatically invalidated when accompanied by a moral failure of an Atheist somewhere ?
    You make a valid point. Another valid point along similar lines would be that the comparable moral failures of both atheists and theists could be seen as pointing to the irrelevance of theists' beliefs when it comes to morality.

Theists acting in morally sound ways is not evidence that their god figures/moral lawgivers exist. Similarly, atheists acting in morally unsound ways is not evidence that having god figures/moral lawgivers would make any difference.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 08:26
    @wolfgang59 said

First of all, why would you be surprised by evil occurring among Koreans? Do you think only white people are capable of evil? Geez.

His victims had spoken of his "divine power" and said they felt compelled to do what he asked because "he was God".

(From the article)

This is not remotely like anything Christian. He was running a cult.

This is basically just reflective on the gullibility of people and the way that religion can be used for evil, but is not remotely reflective of Christianity, IMO.

There is a lot of stuff like this in Korea -- just look at 'World Mission Society' (they believe that an elderly Korean woman is a female God, and that Christianity ha salways promoted the existence of a female God), or Lee Manhee and... whatever the heck he is doing.

Cults are very common in Korea. Indeed, there was even a Satanic cult in the nineties that murdered & dismembered someone to get back at the rich. People also often say that allof North Korea is something like a cult and that is really not far from the truth.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 08:31
    @philokalia said
    First of all, why would you be surprised by evil occurring among Koreans? Do you think only white people are capable of evil? Geez.
    I wouldn't.
    and
    No.

Why are you trolling me with your stupidity?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 08:36
    @wolfgang59 said
    I wouldn't.
    and
    No.

If you had to choose, would you rather be trolled by stupidity or biting sarcasm?
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 08:36
    @wolfgang59 said
    I wouldn't.
    and
    No.

I cannot respond to your post because I have signed on to Marauder's posting guidelines which prohibits me from answering ad hominem posts.

If you would like to interact with me, do not post insults at me, and I will gladly respond.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree