1. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 21:52
    There is a Latvian saying which goes along the lines of;

“Let the devil into church and he will surely take to the pulpit”

The Devil runs the so called churches in this modern world. What say you?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 23:12
    Originally posted by @velns

The churches that preach:
    - OSAS
    - Prosperity Gospel
    - compulsory 10% tithing

Then there are pastors, priests who
    - molests kids
    - have sex with married women in the concregation
    - steal church funds
    - live opulently from the contributions of the poor
    - pretend to have the Holy Spirit
    -- set up elaborate actors to pretend that they are healed

False doctrines,. greed, stealing, lies .. the list is endless.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 00:01

There are some good Bible-based churches around where I live. I generally have gravitated to independent Baptist churches since I accepted Christ though I was raised in an Episcopal church.

Incidentally, the sex abuse scandals referenced by rajk nearly exclusively occurred in the Catholic church. If I’m not mistaken, Catholics believe in the false doctrine of salvation by works.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 03:38
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Incidentally, the sex abuse scandals referenced by rajk nearly exclusively occurred in the Catholic church. If I’m not mistaken, Catholics believe in the false doctrine of salvation by works.
    As an indication of the extent and institutional breakdown of this issue, the Australian royal commission recently found, after a long and exhaustive inquiry, that of those abused in a religious institution, 61.4% were in Catholic institutions, and 38.6% were in other Christian institutions, including 14.8% Anglican, 7.2% Salvation Army and the rest in various denominations. Catholics comprise about 50% of all Christians worldwide. So, while sex abuse scandals are certainly not "exclusively" a Catholic problem, they are 'overrepresented' in that denomination, as it were.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 03:40
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Catholics comprise about 50% of all Christians worldwide. So, while sex abuse scandals are certainly not "exclusively" a Catholic problem, they are 'overrepresented' in that denomination, as it were.
    As a side note, Jehovah's Witnesses abuse cases ~ much discussed on this forum over the years because we had a poster called robbie carrobie who used to defend the covering up of child sex abuse cases by his JW organization and used to smear sex abuse victims and anyone who criticized the organizations handling of the issue ~ made up 1.8% of those investigated by the Australian royal commission while Jehovah's Witnesses make up only 0.3% of the world's Christian population.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 03:50
    Originally posted by @fmf
    As a side note, Jehovah's Witnesses abuse cases [...] made up 1.8% of those investigated by the Australian royal commission while Jehovah's Witnesses make up only 0.3% of the world's Christian population.
    Interestingly, the Salvation Army - which makes up only 0.07% of the world's Christian population - accounted for 7.2% of the sex abuse cases looked into by the Australian royal commission.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 10:27
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    There are some good Bible-based churches around where I live. I generally have gravitated to independent Baptist churches since I accepted Christ though I was raised in an Episcopal church.

Wrong as FMF already pointed out. But for argument sake lets say you are right.
    What about the other atrocities prevalent in the Salvation by faith churches ??

Faith causes them to be materialistic and greedy?
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 21:36

What churches are you referring to? Pretty broad statement considering how many churches exist, or is it that "The Devil runs the so called churches in this modern world" in your mind?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 22:13
    Originally posted by @leunammi
    What churches are you referring to? Pretty broad statement considering how many churches exist, or is it that "The Devil runs the so called churches in this modern world" in your mind?
    Which church do you know of which is not corrupted by any one of the following:
    greed
    sexual immorality
    excess
    worldliness
    false doctrines
    disregard for the poor and needy
    ignoring the commandments of Christ
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 22:58
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    greed
    sexual immorality
    excess
    worldliness
    false doctrines
    It's like churches are run by people.
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 23:00
    greed
    sexual immorality
    excess
    worldliness
    false doctrines
    That's a personal question, I no longer answer those.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 23:29
    That's a personal question, I no longer answer those.
    That is personal only if you are a pastor.
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 23:37
    That is personal only if you are a pastor.
    You got a point there, but all pastors and churches are not as you suppose. Some for sure, many no.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 23:49
    You got a point there, but all pastors and churches are not as you suppose. Some for sure, many no.
    Of course there are exceptions. On average the pastors live off the church and the donations and finances of the poor. They live well and their church members are less well off.

You may not see it. Depends on where you live. I live in a poor third world country and it is sickening to see how these crooked church pastors abuse their God given privilege.
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 23:53
    Of course there are exceptions. On average the pastors live off the church and the donations and finances of the poor. They live well and their church members are less well off.

You may not see it. Depends on where you live. I live in a poor third world country and it is sickening to see how these crooked church pastors abuse their God given privilege.
    I see it for sure and it is disgusting. Kenneth Copeland is reported to be worth 700 million, has 4 or 5 jets, big house, boat, who knows what else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree