1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 02:58
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I think the Australian sample was pretty scientifically done and probably represents the 'western' Christian-oriented countries pretty well. I offered the case study for the purposes of the discussion. If you, however, have had your pride bruised, and you think your "nearly exclusively" was indeed the correct expression to use and not just a bit of careless hyp ...[text shortened]... , that's all. The topic is a seriously ugly one and deserves to be approached with some decorum.
    I was simply asking questions. Don’t know why you were reading so much into them. It’s standard practice (and common courtesy) in our community to provide links when you cite a study or an article. I wouldn’t have had any questions had you done so.

Thanks.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 02:59
    Why don't you look into it at the link I provided?
    I saw the link after I posted that query.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 02:59
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    It’s interesting that the statistics you cited referred to abuse in religious institutions, but not a single reference was made to synagogues or mosques.
    Synagogues or mosques are "religious institutions".
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:01
    Are you referring to the statistics you cited from the Australian Royal Commission? How many countries did their data cover? Just Australia, or other countries as well? What year or years did their data cover?

Got a link to the stats you cited?
    So, do you believe 61-62% warrants your use of the expression “nearly exclusively”?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:06
    I think the Australian sample was pretty scientifically done and probably represents the 'western' Christian-oriented countries pretty well. I offered the case study for the purposes of the discussion. If you, however, have had your pride bruised, and you think your "nearly exclusively" was indeed the correct expression to use and not just a bit of careless hyp ...[text shortened]... , that's all. The topic is a seriously ugly one and deserves to be approached with some decorum.
    It appears the data only pertains to religious institutions in Australia. Could you say why you think the data “represents the ‘western’ Christian-oriented countries?”
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:08
    Synagogues or mosques are "religious institutions".
    Yes, but were they included in the data? Do you know how many synagogues and mosques are in Australia?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:08
    Yes, but were they included in the data? Do you know how many synagogues and mosques are in Australia?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:11
    So, do you believe 61-62% warrants your use of the expression “nearly exclusively”?
    I was referring to the United States of America, the country where I live and where sexual abuse by priests received widespread media coverage. The figures you cited appear to pertain only to Australia based on what I read in the report. I’m not familiar with the situation in Australia as most of the sexual abuse allegations that occurred by religious people as reported in the American media pertained to Catholic priests in America.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:12
    It appears the data only pertains to religious institutions in Australia. Could you say why you think the data “represents the ‘western’ Christian-oriented countries?”
    Because that's what Australia is.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:13
    I did. Once I determined the report appeared to only cover religious institutions in Australia, I lost interest.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:14
    I was referring to the United States of America, the country where I live and where sexual abuse by priests received widespread media coverage. The figures you cited appear to pertain only to Australia based on what I read in the report. I’m not familiar with the situation in Australia as most of the sexual abuse allegations that occurred by religious people as reported in the American media pertained to Catholic priests in America.
    If you think your "nearly exclusively" was indeed the correct expression to use with regard to the U.S. ~ and not just a bit of careless hyperbole ~ then, by all means, feel free to back it up. If you want to that is; it doesn't really matter if you are not motivated to do so.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:14
    Because that's what Australia is.
    You got caught trying to pass off a report based on a single country as being more comprehensive than it is.

Having been called out on your sloppy presentation, you’re now pool whizzing in embarrassment.

Have a nice evening.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:16
    You got caught trying to pass off a report based on a single country as being more comprehensive than it is.
    This is my post from page 1:

As an indication of the extent and institutional breakdown of this issue, the Australian royal commission recently found, after a long and exhaustive inquiry, that of those abused in a religious institution, 61.4% were in Catholic institutions, and 38.6% were in other Christian institutions, including 14.8% Anglican, 7.2% Salvation Army and the rest in various denominations. Catholics comprise about 50% of all Christians worldwide. So, while sex abuse scandals are certainly not "exclusively" a Catholic problem, they are 'overrepresented' in that denomination, as it were.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:18
    Having been called out on your sloppy presentation, you’re now pool whizzing in embarrassment.
    The findings from Australia are very interesting - as well as disturbing. Like I said, this topic is a serious and ugly one and deserves to be approached with some some non-infantile decorum.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:22
    This is my post from page 1:

As an indication of the extent and institutional breakdown of this issue, the Australian royal commission recently found, after a long and exhaustive inquiry, that of those abused in a religious institution, 61.4% were in Catholic institutions, and 38.6% were in other Christian institutions, including 14.8% Anglican, 7.2% Salvati ...[text shortened]... t "exclusively" a Catholic problem, they are 'overrepresented' in that denomination, as it were.
    And you then extrapolated that 62 percent as though it pertained to more than just Australia. You later tried to claim the report covered more than Australia.

Your presentation was intellectually sloppy, poorly researched, sensationalistic and, quite frankly, an embarrassment to our community.

I was more than happy to invest five minutes to expose it as the irrelevant and misleading fluff that it is.

Good day, sir!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree