1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:24
    Originally posted by @fmf
    The findings from Australia are very interesting - as well as disturbing. Like I said, this topic is a serious and ugly one and deserves to be approached with some some non-infantile decorum.
    Your OP and (especially) subsequent posts should not have been so misleading, and, in one instance, completely false.

You’re now attempting to go on the attack out of embarrassment.

Whizz away, my friend.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:28
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Your OP and (especially) subsequent posts should not have been so misleading, and, in one instance, completely false.

You’re now attempting to go on the attack out of embarrassment.

Whizz away, my friend.
    I believe a discussion about child sex abuse requires different banter from you. I offered some findings from Australia and made no secret of the fact that that's what they were. Make of them what you will. I don't feel any embarrassment at all.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:32
    I believe a discussion about child sex abuse requires different banter from you. I offered some findings from Australia and made no secret of the fact that that's what they were. Make of them what you will. I don't feel any embarrassment at all.
    You oughta feel embarrassed.

Do you deny that this statement of yours is false?

“I think the Australian sample was pretty scientifically done and probably represents the 'western' Christian-oriented countries pretty well.”
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:34
    And you then extrapolated that 62 percent as though it pertained to more than just Australia.

Well, it was a rigorous sample of a first world prosperous country and exhaustively pursued. I never pretended that it anything other than Australian research about Australia. Perhaps you don't know what 'extrapolating' means and why it is done and what credence to give it. You can make what you want of the 62% figure for the Catholic church. What would it be, do you think, in the U.S.?

You later tried to claim the report covered more than Australia.

In which post?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:35
    Do you deny that this statement of yours is false?

“I think the Australian sample was pretty scientifically done and probably represents the 'western' Christian-oriented countries pretty well.”
    Yes. I deny that it is false. It is a completely honest and accurate assertion of what I think based on years and years of following this issue pretty closely. Read it again.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 03:54
    I’m not familiar with the situation in Australia as most of the sexual abuse allegations that occurred by religious people as reported in the American media pertained to Catholic priests in America.
    That was - as I remember it - also the perception people had based on the media in Australia prior to the commission. It turned out that the figure was "only" about 62% for Catholic institutions and what was seen as a surprisingly big 38% for non-Catholic religious institutions, including Jewish and Islamic ones. Maybe something similar would be found in the U.S. if it were to examine itself in the way Australia has. You've seen the figures for Australia. What figures do you have for the U.S.?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 04:01
    I was referring to the United States of America, the country where I live and where sexual abuse by priests received widespread media coverage. The figures you cited appear to pertain only to Australia based on what I read in the report. I’m not familiar with the situation in Australia as most of the sexual abuse allegations that occurred by religious people as reported in the American media pertained to Catholic priests in America.
    If you think the term "nearly exclusively" is indeed the correct expression to use with regard to the U.S. then, by all means, feel free to back it up, if you want to.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 04:48
    If you think the term "nearly exclusively" is indeed the correct expression to use with regard to the U.S. then, by all means, feel free to back it up, if you want to.
    Based on media reports at the time, it certainly seemed so. I’m not aware of the percentages in the United States or whether a study similar to Australia’s was done.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '18 05:31
    Based on media reports at the time, it certainly seemed so. I’m not aware of the percentages in the United States or whether a study similar to Australia’s was done.
    The findings from the Australian research would suggest that the "based on media reports at the time" approach might not result in assertions that are valid.

The Australian royal commission's statistics suggested that if an Australian person were a Jehovah's Witness or a member of the Salvation Army, for example, the probability of that person being sexually abused was considerably higher than if that person were a Catholic.

I imagine with your "based on media reports at the time" approach, you would not become aware of such a thing ~ if it were also the case in the U.S. ~ without looking at proper research into the matter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree