13 Jul '08 17:24
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/13/snake.bust.ap/index.html

Kirksey, you know Reverend Coots?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 17:49
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. People have a right to take risks and do dangerous things. Is there a good reason for the law to step in?

The best argument for sending in the gunmen to forcibly shut these guys down is that the venemous snakes might escape and even start breeding. This could be handled with more oversight of the snake-handling though.

I can't stand it when the government sends gunmen to protect us from ourselves.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 18:081 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. People have a right to take risks and do dangerous things. Is there a good reason for the law to step in?

The best argument for sending in the gunmen to forcibly shut these guys down is that the venemous snakes might escape and even start breeding. This could be handled with more oversight of the snake-handling though.

I agree with ATY--I saw a documentary about them called Heaven Come Down, and they are twisted, mixed-up people with a lot more internal strife than I imagined, but freedom is something that must remain sacrosanct--even freedom to do something stupid and kill yourself.
  4. SEMO
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 19:15

The Law jumped in because of the illegal buying and selling of the animals. It is the liberals that throw in the dangerous risk as being a reason to go in.

I for one do not think that people should not be alowed these animals. However, they should be able to show that they can take care of them without the risk of harm to the amimal or to anyone else.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 19:17
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    The Law jumped in because of the illegal buying and selling of the animals. It is the liberals that throw in the dangerous risk as being a reason to go in.

I for one do not think that people should not be alowed these animals. However, they should be able to show that they can take care of them without the risk of harm to the amimal or to anyone else.
    Do you happen to know what law was invoked?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 19:18

It is the liberals that throw in the dangerous risk as being a reason to go in.

I hope you don't mean this in a general sense. The Republicans (except my man Ron Paul) are very enthusiastic about the War on Drugs it seems.
  7. SEMO
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 19:331 edit
    [b]It is the liberals that throw in the dangerous risk as being a reason to go in.

I hope you don't mean this in a general sense. The Republicans (except my man Ron Paul) are very enthusiastic about the War on Drugs it seems.[/b]
    No, not in general. I have met a few who were for our rights. And yes, I know that there are others who claim not to be liberal who want to take our rights away also.

Sorry if it seemed I was generalizing.

BTW, I am for Dr. Ron Paul's message too.
  8. SEMO
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 19:33
    Do you happen to know what law was invoked?
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/kar/301/002/195.htm
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 19:44
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

Actually this is about 13 miles from me. I knew some Coots in the next county so they may be related, but that's not saying much around here.

I honestly can't figure out why it is illegal when more people die each year from lung cancer from smoking in the church parking lot than from handling snakes.
  10. SEMO
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 19:45
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Actually this is about 13 miles from me. I knew some Coots in the next county so they may be related, but that's not saying much around here.

I honestly can't figure out why it is illegal when more people die each year from lung cancer from smoking in the church parking lot than from handling snakes.
    I agree with you on that one. 🙂
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 20:08
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

I know this plumber who I'm pretty sure has been in his home. He said there were snakes everywhere throughout the house and he (Coots, if it is him) didn't seem to mind them much. They weren't in cages or aquariums or whatever the hell you keep a snake in. My plumber said "thank you very much; you can find more plumbers in the phone book."
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 20:36
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/kar/301/002/195.htm
    That's about birds.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 20:36
    Originally posted by kirksey957

I'm sure more people smoke than handle such snakes.
  14. SEMO
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 20:552 edits
    That's about birds.
    Sorry, you are right, that is the wrong link. Here is the correct one.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/002/081.htm

Kentucky also has a law against handling, however, I have not found that one as of yet.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 21:46
    Sorry, you are right, that is the wrong link. Here is the correct one.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/002/081.htm

Kentucky also has a law against handling, however, I have not found that one as of yet.
    That one's protecting the native wildlife. A lot of those snakes weren't native. We only have four species of venemous snake in the US. In fact that one seems to allow for owning native wildlife if you get a permit. If that was invoked it means the guy simply wasn't following regulations. It doesn't say you can't have snakes in that law, unless I missed something. Did I?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree