1. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 09:48
    I would be interested to know how many Christians here believe that God restricts himself to following the laws of the universe he created or whether he regularly violates those laws. And if he violates the laws does he specifically ensure that such violations are impossible for humans to detect in a scientific way?
  2. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 14:32
    Pointless.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 14:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would be interested to know how many Christians here believe that God restricts himself to following the laws of the universe he created or whether he regularly violates those laws. And if he violates the laws does he specifically ensure that such violations are impossible for humans to detect in a scientific way?
    Important point. I expect responses from the Jesus gang that are highly sensitive to your question, or more precisely, what trick they think you are trying to pull. Many will probably argue that God can and did violate the laws of the universe, and that these violations may not always be detectable.

Now if you get into an argument about why there is unnecessary evil or why omnipotent, omniscient god can't reveal himself more clearly to us, you'll get all sorts of justifications for God's actions that are firmly based on the assumption that he must obey his own rules (i.e. "God in a Box"😉.

Their behavior reminds me of when as a child I would play games with my fellow classmates on the bus ride to school each morning. We'd take turns trying to best one another in battle by imagining that we had all sorts of fantastic weapons and defenses.

"I blast you with my laser gun."
    "Well, you can't because I have anti-laser boots."
    "Well, I have anti-anti-laser boot grenades. I throw one at you."
    "Well, I have an anti-anti-anti-laser boot grenades shield, and it bounces the grenade back to you."
    "Yeah, well I have a forcefield so I'm invincible."
    (thank Zeus the bus ride actually had a termination point).

Anyway theology is a lot like that. When you're playing make believe there's no discipline on your ideas. I'm just sorry that I have this wasteful habit of arguing with them.
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 15:03
    Originally posted by telerion
    Important point. I expect responses from the Jesus gang that are highly sensitive to your question, or more precisely, what trick they think you are trying to pull. Many will probably argue that God can and did violate the laws of the universe, and that these violations may not always be detectable.

Now if you get into an argument about why there is ...[text shortened]... deas. I'm just sorry that I have this wasteful habit of arguing with them.
    Even though the theological discussions are "make-belief" you still have logic and reason to appeal to -- God can't be both “X” and “not X”.

...but I almost forgot... from a theological perspective our reason and logic is also God-given, so who says God can't defy it? Sorry, bud. It's a lose-lose situation all the way.

I hope that I've cleared up all the misunderstanding and confusion in your current theological debacle. 😏

Cheers.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 16:53
    You'll need to be a tad more specific.
    When you ask if God follows the laws of the universe, where do you have Him following them?
    When the Lord Jesus Christ was here on earth, He was subjected to the 'laws of the universe' so-described. That He performed miracles does not infer a breakage of the laws, as much as it suggests there may be laws of which we are not aware.
    With respect to God's restrictions, He is unable to be contained, but He is able to be local, if He so chooses.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 07:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    ...... as much as it suggests there may be laws of which we are not aware.
    In your opinion are these laws ones that we may one day be able to discover and possible design experiments to further understand them or are they laws which are forever hidden from us.

If a miracle occurs, is it possible to scientifically proove that that it was a miracle or will there always be an acceptable scientific explanation.
    If there is an acceptable scientific explanation for all events in the universe then why is there such a big resistance to the Theory of Evolution?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 09:06
    This is actually really interesting. It seems to me, that if God was not restricted by at least some laws, His actions would be random (which would be inconsistent with the common image of God). Hence, God must follow some laws. Whether these laws are of nature I can't comment. It kind of parallels what Einstein's understanding of an immutable God. However, I suspect that you are referring to purely scientific laws (and not purely abstract laws of reasoning and logic). If so, then could only God travel at the speed of light or slower? What if he could travel faster? Would he then obey the predictions made by the theory of special relativity?

I dont really know, but it sounds intriguing.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 12:29
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    This is actually really interesting. It seems to me, that if God was not restricted by at least some laws, His actions would be random (which would be inconsistent with the common image of God). Hence, God must follow some laws. Whether these laws are of nature I can't comment. It kind of parallels what Einstein's understanding of an immutable God. However, ...[text shortened]... ns made by the theory of special relativity?

I dont really know, but it sounds intriguing.
    God by definition does not "travel". My question is does God cause matter or light to travel faster than the speed of light or other violations of known laws in a detectable way.
    An easy example is someone is born without legs, a miracle occurs and without intervention from the medical profession, he suddenly has legs. This is a clear violation of anything we can understand in the realm of science. Or are all healing miracles of the kind that could have other medical explanations?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 16:15
    In your opinion are these laws ones that we may one day be able to discover and possible design experiments to further understand them or are they laws which are forever hidden from us.

If a miracle occurs, is it possible to scientifically proove that that it was a miracle or will there always be an acceptable scientific explanation.
    If there is an ac ...[text shortened]... r all events in the universe then why is there such a big resistance to the Theory of Evolution?
    Case in point, the resurrection body of the Lord Jesus Christ. After raising from the dead, the body in which He met the disciples (and others) now had unique properties. While apparently most of the 'expected' physical characteristics were entact, i.e., appearance, need for food, etc., there were now unexpected characteristics. Chief among these were the ability to cloak His appearance, walk through walls, and be transported through the atmosphere into space.
    We know that this resurrection body was created by the Lord Jesus Christ, but were these new properties latent within the old body, simply waiting to be brought out?

Was a miracle simply the Creator tapping into some unknown law? That's just as likely as His suspending the laws He created, but either show His mastery over all of creation. One day He will destroy the known universe and create a new one, which will have unique laws governing it, as well.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 22:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 22:37
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Case in point, the resurrection body of the Lord Jesus Christ. After raising from the dead, the body in which He met the disciples (and others) now had unique properties. While apparently most of the 'expected' physical characteristics were entact, i.e., appearance, need for food, etc., there were now unexpected characteristics. Chief among these were t ...[text shortened]... y the known universe and create a new one, which will have unique laws governing it, as well.
    The question has to be, what evidence do you have? Pictures? A body? A skeleton? Perhaps you were there? Nope, you have no first hand evidence of this. Only a bunch of stories of questionable validity.
  12. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 12:36
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    The question has to be, what evidence do you have? Pictures
    I am currently working on an experiment in this regard:

As soon as I achieve transcendance of my current existance and inhabit my "illumined" form, I will be able to test the reproducability of these claims. Until then, its a work in progress...
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 14:54
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    The question has to be, what evidence do you have? Pictures? A body? A skeleton? Perhaps you were there? Nope, you have no first hand evidence of this. Only a bunch of stories of questionable validity.
    Doubtful, Scott, that you can actually label the Gospel and NT accounts as 'questionable' until such time as you have actually tested them.

Many have tried, with the sole intent on disproving them, and all have failed in this regard. You'll have to do better than that.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 21:24
    God by definition does not "travel". My question is does God cause matter or light to travel faster than the speed of light or other violations of known laws in a detectable way.
    An easy example is someone is born without legs, a miracle occurs and without intervention from the medical profession, he suddenly has legs. This is a clear violation of anythi ...[text shortened]... f science. Or are all healing miracles of the kind that could have other medical explanations?
    Ok so say God is omniscient. We know that information cannot be transmitted faster then the speed of light. So how can God be omniscient? How can God be simultaneously aware of two events at opposite ends of the universe if the information pertaining to those events takes light years to reach each other? And how come we can't do that?
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 21:40
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Ok so say God is omniscient. We know that information cannot be transmitted faster then the speed of light. So how can God be omniscient? How can God be simultaneously aware of two events at opposite ends of the universe if the information pertaining to those events takes light years to reach each other? And how come we can't do that?
    The obvious answer is that He is omnipresent. Another obvious answer is that He is bound by logical possibility, not nomological possibility. A third obvious answer is that your argument is question begging, since it assumes that God doesn't know the future; He doesn't need to wait for information to travel to Him, since He has known for all time just what would occur.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree