Lead us not into temptation;

Lead us not into temptation;

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
22 Dec 05

There are two types of people: Believers and Non-Believers

As we approach the greatest festival in the Christian calender I have noticed that the believers celebrate in many ways. This is the greatest pagent of fallacy. Parties, Bank Holidays, Presents and general Feasting

If there are non believers who are tempted by this they should remember:

Santa Claus is just a modern example of a comples web of lies and distortions that underpins the faith.
Sadly the Holy Spirit is not Whisky.
The after life is an unproven concept.
The church will expect a financial contribution.
Sadly there are more Christians than Lions.

Remember: Christianity is not just for Christmas.

l

London

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by invigorate
As we approach the greatest festival in the Christian calender ...
Actually, the greatest festival in the Christian calendar is Easter.

Christmas is for retailers and greeting card manufacturers.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer

Right on LC!

V
Peasant

England

Moves
22 Dec 05

Christmas is a profoundly shallow occasion. I sympathise with actual Christians on this point - it must be incredibly insulting to have the birthday of your God/saviour reduced to a piss-up, turkey, shopping sprees and baubles.

In as much as materialism constitutes a new faith, it's a bit of a shyte effort.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer

Yeah, I'll rec that one too. 🙂

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
22 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by invigorate
As we approach the greatest festival in the Christian calender
Do you have available the passage that started the whole 'birthday' celebration? My concordance is broke, and I just can't seem to find that command, for some reason.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b]As we approach the greatest festival in the Christian calender
Do you have available the passage that started the whole 'birthday' celebration? My concordance is broke, and I just can't seem to find that command, for some reason.[/b]
Luke 2:8-15

8And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. 12This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14"Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

15When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."

Don't know the exact day he was really born in, but Happy Birthday
to Jesus anyway. 🙂
Kelly

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
24 Dec 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Luke 2:8-15
Sorry, KellyJay, but that was sarcasm on my part. We are unfortunately void of any type of emoticons which would depict the same, otherwise I would have peppered my post with them.

The point of the post was, no command to celebrate His birthday on an annual basis exists. There was cause for great joy on that blessed day, yet, for some reason, God saw fit to allow the day to be ascertained only in conjecture.
The Lord Jesus Christ did not take on human form to have birthdays celebrated; He did the same in order to ransom what was lost via that human form.

Christians put on elaborate shows of religiousity for the most insignificant of things; dismissing as unimportant the 'all things.'

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Dec 05

[b]Luke 2:8-15
Sorry, KellyJay, but that was sarcasm on my part. We are unfortunately void of any type of emoticons which would depict the same, otherwise I would have peppered my post with them.

The point of the post was, no command to celebrate His birthday on an annual basis exists. There was cause for great joy on that blessed day, yet, for s ...[text shortened]... religiousity for the most insignificant of things; dismissing as unimportant the 'all things.'[/b]
Do not say Christians do, it is a people thing. I agree with you that
Jesus did not come here so we could have parties and give gifts,
but if you look at the OT and what God had them doing. There were
a lot of feasts and celebrations to remember events so that the
people would not forget something. From Passover, on...it happens.
I do not believe Jesus was born in Dec, but sometime in the summer,
but I don't know when so I and my family celebrate Jesus' birthday
on Dec 25th. It is as good a day as any other not knowing the real
date, I don't see anything wrong with it. As far as why that day was
picked I'm aware of the history, but it doesn't matter to me. Why
I do it is to honor God sending Jesus to us.
Kelly

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Dec 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
There were
people would not forget something.

Agreed. That was then, this is now. The regenerate and national Jew in those days participated in those picture feasts and celebrations for the purpose of commemoration/rememberance/foretelling. Commanded to do the same, actually.

No such command here, for us, to celebrate Christ's physical birth. Very big deal, no doubt about it. After Adam, the most important birth on the face of the planet. Some reason, though, God did not command His followers to celebrate the same.

No command against it, but I would presume, if we are to keep going forward with the celebration, we ought to have a better reason for calling it important than, as was so eloquently posted previously, a piss-up, etc., etc.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
26 Dec 05

[b]There were
people would not forget something.

Agreed. That was then, this is now. The regenerate and national Jew in those days participated in those picture feasts and celebrations for the purpose of commemoration/rememberance/foretelling. Commanded to do the same, actually.

N ...[text shortened]... son for calling it important than, as was so eloquently posted previously, a piss-up, etc., etc.[/b]
are you saying we shouldn't celebrate it, there should be another reason for celebrating it, or there is not point to celebrating it? or none of the above?...

i think God would be insulted if we were to stop dedicating a day to him purely because he didn't say we were to celebrate him on this day.