1. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 22:53
    Just wondering what peoples interpretation of this is. It's a repeated theme in my life, to let go and let God. What do you think this fully entails? How do you know if you've truly let go and let God take over? Because it doesn't seem to fit with the whole God helps those that helps themselves approach.
    Can anyone clear up the contradiction for me? Or show how the two can co-exist.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 23:03
    Originally posted by mokko
    Just wondering what peoples interpretation of this is. It's a repeated theme in my life, to let go and let God. What do you think this fully entails? How do you know if you've truly let go and let God take over? Because it doesn't seem to fit with the whole God helps those that helps themselves approach.
    God helps those....is not biblical. To let go and let God is a cliche that many Xtians use to help explain that we are to crucify the flesh and live to God. It is really the crux of Xtianity. This is where true "change" comes in. It is a topic that takes meditation on scripture and prayer to God to understand and make it your own, if you will.
    These are some verses to start with...
    Gal 2:20
    20 "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
    (NKJ)

Phil 3:8-9
    8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ
    9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;
    (NKJ)

Rom 12:1-2
    1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
    2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
    (NKJ)
  3. Colorado
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 23:061 edit
    Personally, I believe that God dislikes spiritual laziness, or laziness of any sort for that matter.

To accept God into your life does not mean that you don’t have to work at things anymore. It just means that instead of doing things for yourself, or even other people, you do them for God.

Hope this helps. πŸ™‚
  4. Merry Crimbo Land
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 23:23
    Are you gonna become a nun πŸ™‚
  5. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 00:13
    So are you saying that that go let God doesn't necesarily mean to sit back and let gods will be done? I always thought it was a reference to have faith that Gods will will be done and that in order to prevent pain and suffering in ones life it's meant for us to let go of the need to control the universe and let God show the way. Give it to God and it will be relinquished into his hands, will become his burden to bare so to speak. This is what I've been led to believe by many cristians that I have met with.

I always believed also that God helps those who helps themselves was a biblical reference. Not too familiar with scripture myself. Or the age old God doesn't give us more than we can handle wich is suppose to coincide with the letting go when it does become too great a burden in our lives.

I guess ultimately it's the conflict of action versus inaction as pertaining to the word of God that I'm wondering about. Most pain is caused by an unwilingness to let go of something. How is it connected to faith and allowing God, or Christ, to enter into the picture and excert (sp?) divine guidence?
  6. Colorado
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 00:191 edit
    So are you saying that that go let God doesn't necesarily mean to sit back and let gods will be done? I always thought it was a reference to have faith that Gods will will be done and that in order to prevent pain and suffering in ones life it's meant for us to let go of the need to control the universe and let God show the way. Give it to God and it will be ...[text shortened]... o faith and allowing God, or Christ, to enter into the picture and excert (sp?) divine guidence?
    ...in order to prevent pain and suffering in ones life it's meant for us to let go of the need to control the universe...

Setting reasonable goals is important to achieving happiness. πŸ˜€

God helps us through, but we still need to make the effort.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 00:26
    to let go and let God...

One possible interpretation: take everything about life that seems even mildly confusing, uncertain, or disheartening and squish it all up into a little conveniently sized ball; then pass the ball off to a supernatural being (for which there is no demonstrable evidence) in order to give yourself some rest and relaxation from the arduous task of having to carry the ball yourself; then tell yourself over and over that the supernatural being will "do the right thing" with the dastardly, evil ball of discontent. Out of sight, out of mind.

Again, this is just one possible interpretation.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 00:54
    So are you saying that that go let God doesn't necesarily mean to sit back and let gods will be done? I always thought it was a reference to have faith that Gods will will be done and that in order to prevent pain and suffering in ones life it's meant for us to let go of the need to control the universe and let God show the way. Give it to God and it will be ...[text shortened]... o faith and allowing God, or Christ, to enter into the picture and excert (sp?) divine guidence?
    It sounds like you have listened to tidbits of different opinions over the course of your life. The world is full of opinions and I am sure you will get many of them here on your post. I suggest that if you want to know what is biblical and what is not, you should start by reading the bible yourself to start with. You will, as I said, get many opinions here. Some will be right and some wrong, but you will not know which are which.
    BTW, if you really want truth, you can find better places than a Chess forum. And no, you do not just "sit back" and let God. It takes much effort on your part.

Prov 2:1-5
    1 My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you,
    2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding;
    3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding,
    4 If you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures;
    5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
    (NKJ)

πŸ™‚
  9. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 01:27
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    It sounds like you have listened to tidbits of different opinions over the course of your life. The world is full of opinions and I am sure you will get many of them here on your post. I suggest that if you want to know what is biblical and what is not, you should start by reading the bible yourself to start with. You will, as I said, get many opinions h ...[text shortened]... s;
    5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
    (NKJ)

πŸ™‚
    Well I do read through the bible looking for answers but I have a hard time sorting through it all. Really understanding what it says. That's why I'm interested in hearing other peoples interpretation of these words mean and how they pertain to others.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 02:28
    Well I do read through the bible looking for answers but I have a hard time sorting through it all. Really understanding what it says. That's why I'm interested in hearing other peoples interpretation of these words mean and how they pertain to others.
    May I suggest that you take everyone's advise with a grain of salt?πŸ˜‰
    And please continue reading your bible, especially Romans. This is a good start. Read the gospels(I'm sure you already have) but Romans and the epistles are all about how to live now. There are many promises contained therein. Read slowly and "chew" on the words, that is , think and ask God in prayer what it means and how to practically apply it in your life.πŸ™‚
  11. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 03:17
    And please continue reading your bible, especially Romans. This is a good start. Read the gospels(I'm sure you already have) but Romans and the epistles are all about how to live now. There are many promises contained therein. Read slowly and "chew" on the words, that is , think and ask God in prayer what it means and how to practically apply it in your life.πŸ™‚
    I take everything with a grain of salt πŸ˜‰

I just like hearing other points of view. I tend to read through psalms the most πŸ™‚ I'll give Romans a go though πŸ™‚
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 06:20
    Why would you say that Romans/Epistles are more of a guide on how to live
    than the Gospels? That's absurd! St Paul was a self-proclaimed head of various
    Christian churches, and had to deal with all sorts of unfortunate politcal and personal
    issues.

Jesus's words should be the base guide for a Christian, not St Paul's!

Nemesio
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 06:22
    Originally posted by Nemesio

Jesus's words should be the base guide for a Christian, not St Paul's!
    Amen.

Why did Paul harp on so much about hell?
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 06:30
    Where in the Bible does it say that God helps those who help themselves?
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 06:41
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Where in the Bible does it say that God helps those who help themselves?
    The parable of the talents could be interpreted that way, I suppose.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree