1. Colorado
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 06:42
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Where in the Bible does it say that God helps those who help themselves?
    Jesus tells his disciples that if they are going to follow him they need to take up their cross.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 10:34
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Jesus tells his disciples that if they are going to follow him they need to take up their cross.
    That sounds more like denying yourself.
  3. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 11:04
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    to let go and let God...

One possible interpretation: take everything about life that seems even mildly confusing, uncertain, or disheartening and squish it all up into a little conveniently sized ball; then pass the ball off to a supernatural being (for which there is no demonstrable evidence) in order to give yourself some rest and relaxation from th ...[text shortened]... l of discontent. Out of sight, out of mind.

Again, this is just one possible interpretation.
    I tried this once. But God gave me the ball right back.
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 11:16
    Originally posted by mokko
    Just wondering what peoples interpretation of this is. It's a repeated theme in my life, to let go and let God. What do you think this fully entails? How do you know if you've truly let go and let God take over? Because it doesn't seem to fit with the whole God helps those that helps themselves approach.
    Can anyone clear up the contradiction for me? Or show how the two can co-exist.
    Here's one interpretation whose merits I am considering.

Let's suppose there is a serious life-problem you aren't dealing with successfully because the general strategy you are adopting to deal with it is inadequate. As a result, you are bashing your head against the proverbial wall, and thereby frustrating and styming yourself to an ever greater degree. Additionally, perhaps one reason this strategy is failing is that it is too rigid, short-sighted, and selfish; it yields rewards that sustain it, but these rewards are short-term, and the strategy carries long-term costs that far outweigh these rewards.

Then, one fine day, in response to this situation, you find yourself spontaneously, rather than deliberately, throwing in the psychological towel, so to speak. You undergo a psychological sea-change, and stop pursuing imprudent and self-defeating goals, exchanging them for better ones. It then turns out that your well-being improves, not from doing something intentionally, but rather from refraining from doing intentionally (i.e., pursuing the previous inferior strategy).

Now, if you are religiously-minded, you may attribute the non-intentional change to the hidden action of a beneficent deity. Moreover, the injunction to "Let Go, let God" may assist some religious person pursuing an inferior strategy to give it up.

How does that strike you?
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 13:561 edit
    Well I do read through the bible looking for answers but I have a hard time sorting through it all. Really understanding what it says. That's why I'm interested in hearing other peoples interpretation of these words mean and how they pertain to others.
    mokko, I copied this link from a thread here on RHP and it really does help me sometimes if there are stuff that I dont understand. By reading the "Footnotes" helps a little.

http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/

I also have a programme which has (i think) 3 or 4 different versions of the Bible where you can study and view all the notes noted by alot of people. That really does help alot, and makes it easier to understand certain scriptures.

I have it installed in my home pc, it is a really old version. Maybe I can get a newer version and send you the URL?

My personal opinion about "Let go and let God" is...
    I know that God will sort out my problems. I just have to believe in that He will sort it out for me and have faith. Sometimes it does feel that He hasnt started to help me, but then I just ask again, and again again again again again and again. God will give, at His own time.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 14:02
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    mokko, I copied this link from a thread here on RHP and it really does help me sometimes if there are stuff that I dont understand. By reading the "Footnotes" helps a little.

I also have a programme which has (i think) 3 or 4 different versions of the Bible where you can study and view all the notes noted by alot ...[text shortened]... n I just ask again, and again again again again again and again. God will give, at His own time.
    Believing God will solve all your problems sure is easier than actually doing something about them yourself. Ever since I let GOD solve all my problems I've been much happier? Power Bill? GOD will take care of that for me. Study for exams? GOD will pass them for me.

It's just so much better.
  7. Forgotten
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 14:05
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Believing God will solve all your problems sure is easier than actually doing something about them yourself. Ever since I let GOD solve all my problems I've been much happier? Power Bill? GOD will take care of that for me. Study for exams? GOD will pass them for me.

It's just so much better.
    roflmfao
  8. Colorado
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 15:231 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    That sounds more like denying yourself.
    It means making the effort to live your life according to Jesus' teachings.
  9. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 16:08
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Here's one interpretation whose merits I am considering.

Let's suppose there is a serious life-problem you aren't dealing with successfully because the general strategy you are adopting to deal with it is inadequate. As a result, you are bashing your head against the proverbial wall, and thereby frustrating and styming yourself to an ever greater ...[text shortened]... some religious person pursuing an inferior strategy to give it up.

How does that strike you?
    Makes perfect sense to me. Although I believe there are more than just the physical and mental aspects to life. There's the part of life that demands logic ie, getting a job, paying the bills ect. but there's also a deeper level of existance which if ignored or not worked upon causes greater suffering within. It's the spiritual aspect of life that is often not addressed and until it is I feel that the same profound mistakes are made again and again in life which will always lead a person submit to a defeatest attitude.

It's through the egos' insistence that we are somehow the center of the universe that drives us to the uncontrollable urge of controlling all aspects of life itself. Obviously this never works as we can't control all aspects of life. But spiritually we can obtain an inner peace in knowing that we don't have to maintain control over everything. There is a higher power that allows us to relinquish our need for control by simply having faith in the laws of nature and that whatever is happening to cause discord is meant to be happening. If the emotional burden is too much to bare then phycologically there needs to be a release, a letting go.

This is where I personally find God to be essential in life. Weather it be through Christ, the bible, through meditation techniques or any other alternate belief system. Spitituality transends all borders, nationalities, gender and age. Please note I said spirituality as opposed to religion for I think there is a distinct difference. Within all of these different beliefs there is some sort of process that takes place in letting go. The giving up of pain and frustration, which I believe ultimately stems from the ego. From believing we are alone with no guidence in life.
  10. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 16:10
    Originally posted by Nicolaas

I also have a programme which has (i think) 3 or 4 different versions of the Bible where you can study and view all the notes noted by alot ...[text shortened]... n I just ask again, and again again again again again and again. God will give, at His own time.
    Thanks for the link. I find it very difficult to sit and read through alot of the bible and come away with any real understanding of what I've just read. Hopefully this will provide some more insight. 🙂
  11. London
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 16:14
    Just wondering what peoples interpretation of this is. It's a repeated theme in my life, to let go and let God. What do you think this fully entails? How do you know if you've truly let go and let God take over? Because it doesn't seem to fit with the whole God helps those that helps themselves approach.
    If it isn't God, then it is the Hand of Seldon.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 16:45
    It's a soundbyte.
  13. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 16:47
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    If it isn't God, then it is the Hand of Seldon.
    What is the hand of Seldon? 🙁
  14. London
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 16:52
    What is the hand of Seldon? 🙁
    Read the 'Foundation' series by Asimov.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 21:26
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Why would you say that Romans/Epistles are more of a guide on how to live
    than the Gospels? That's absurd! St Paul was a self-proclaimed head of various
    Christian churches, and had to deal with all sorts of unfortunate politcal and personal
    issues.

Jesus's words should be the base guide for a Christian, not St Paul's!

Nemesio
    For two reasons ...
    1. All scripture, including the gospels are God breathed.

2 Tim 3:16-17
    16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
    17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
    (NKJ)

Gal 1:11-12
    11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.
    12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
    (NKJ)

2. Romans is what many call "Tha Magna Carta" of the NT. Since Paul wrote by "revelation from Jesus Christ", then it is a moot point.
    The Church Epistles reveal how the church is to live for Jesus Christ. It also reveals many things that were not yet known in the gospels, like the Mystery, the spirit of God within each believer and it's manifestations. The Epistles reveal many, many things that were not known during the time of Christ, even somethings Christ Himself did not yet know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree