1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 14:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    This is untrue, and if you really knew anything about the field you would know it. Sure, some CPUs are designed before the motherboard - though in reality socket design is taken into consideration when designing a CPU and the two are designed in tandem.
    But once a CPU and socket are designed, it is far from unusual for other CPUs to be designed to fit t ...[text shortened]... d by random chance!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am486
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_3
    "...designing a CPU and the two are designed in tandem.”

So you get now that the mother boards have to wait on the CPU, once they know
    what they are going to do with the CPU they start the design, the socket has to
    follow. Until they know how many pins on the CPU the socket cannot be built,
    until they know the pin definition, the circuitry cannot be laid out, the CPU does
    come first.
    Kelly
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 16:14
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    ......the CPU does come first.
    You just can't admit when you are wrong - even when presented with obvious facts.

Check out the links I posted. The AMD processor Am486 was designed to fit into Intel designed Socket 3. Do you dispute that, or admit that you are in error?
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 18:001 edit
    You just can't admit when you are wrong - even when presented with obvious facts.

Check out the links I posted. The AMD processor Am486 was designed to fit into Intel designed Socket 3. Do you dispute that, or admit that you are in error?
    I am guessing he would do neither.
    He must have read these links and yet, so far, he hasn't said he disputed them nor does he admit that he is in error so I am guessing he is not going to do so soon although I really wish to be proven completely wrong.

How often have I admitted I was wrong in these forums? I haven’t been keeping tabs on this but I would say “very often” because recently I said “yes, I can see you were right and I was wrong…” in one post and I have often said I was wrong in past forums when I realised I was in error and also often I apologised for being rude; sometimes to Kelly and sometimes to somebody else.

How often have you seen Kelly admit he was wrong?
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 20:503 edits
    Kelly
    I found some examples of CPU design flaws. These ones don’t involve anything to do with motherboard sockets but they prove it IS possible to have a CPU design flaw despite the money and effort in preventing such flaws:

http://www.brokenthorn.com/Resources/OSDev9.html

“….Controller Malfunctions
    This happens rairly, but is possible. Two notible instances are both with the Pentium processor, including the infamous FDIV and foof bugs. The FDIV bug was an internal CPU design flaw, in which the FPU inside the processor gives incorrect results….”

Note where it says “gives incorrect results” at the end of that. To spot those “incorrect results” you presumably don’t have to know exactly HOW the FPU in the CPU works, you just have to know what results it SHOULD give and how to check for that, that is all!
    You don’t even have to know how the rest of the CPU works to spot that flaw.

http://www.isystem.com/files/products/InCircuit/HC%28S%2912/IC30405_B2_11.pdf

Known CPU design flaw (MC9S12C128, mask 0L09S and MC9S12B128)
    “..Internal RAM is disabled after reset. …”

All you have to know to spot this flaw is that the Internal RAM is not supposed to be disabled after reset and how to check for that; that is all!

So if you like you can forget about motherboards: this is proof that there can be a flaw in a CPU and for it to be possible that flaw to be CORRECTLY identified even if you don’t know the voltage levels, number of transistors, power consumption, number of pins, where the CPU registers are located, or even the basic function of every part of the CPU!
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 01:00
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I am guessing he would do neither.
    He must have read these links and yet, so far, he hasn't said he disputed them nor does he admit that he is in error so I am guessing he is not going to do so soon although I really wish to be proven completely wrong.

How often have I admitted I was wrong in these forums? I haven’t been keeping tabs on this but ...[text shortened]... s to Kelly and sometimes to somebody else.

How often have you seen Kelly admit he was wrong?
    LOL, yes well.....you got me there.
    The Intel chip was created, the socket was there, and AMD built a copy cat part to
    fit in the motherboard...I wasn't thinking about copy cat parts coming after the
    fact. 🙂
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 01:03

No your right, I was not thinking about copy cat parts I was thinking about
    people who came up with the processor first, not that other people would
    build their CPU to fit into what another company did first. Even with your
    example here....the CPU still came first just not the AMD one.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 18:52
    No your right, I was not thinking about copy cat parts I was thinking about
    people who came up with the processor first, not that other people would
    build their CPU to fit into what another company did first. Even with your
    example here....the CPU still came first just not the AMD one.
    Kelly
    You still haven't answered my question Mr Jay.

If you can accept that a bird can adapt to life in water, why not a land based mammal? And what's stopping the mammal from adapting to water?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 21:13
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You still haven't answered my question Mr Jay.

If you can accept that a bird can adapt to life in water, why not a land based mammal? And what's stopping the mammal from adapting to water?
    I thought I had answered your question, sorry! I have maintained that it is much
    easier to lose an ability or form than it is to acquire a new one. If the birds didn't
    have to gain anything to go from life in water to land than fine it can happen.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 23:40
    I thought I had answered your question, sorry! I have maintained that it is much
    easier to lose an ability or form than it is to acquire a new one. If the birds didn't
    have to gain anything to go from life in water to land than fine it can happen.
    Kelly
    That doesn't make any sense.

Yes penguins have lost the ability to fly, but so have emu's, ostrich's, kakapo's and many more. But the penguins have ADAPTED to life in the water, the other flightless birds haven't. The penguins have acquired a new abilty, as you would put it.

Seals have done exactly the same thing, they have adpated to life in the water, this time from living on the land. They have acquired a new ability.

Why can birds adapt to water, yet mammals cannot? What's stopping the mammal from evolving to life in the water?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 01:36
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    That doesn't make any sense.

Yes penguins have lost the ability to fly, but so have emu's, ostrich's, kakapo's and many more. But the penguins have ADAPTED to life in the water, the other flightless birds haven't. The penguins have acquired a new abilty, as you would put it.

Seals have done exactly the same thing, they have adpated to life in the w ...[text shortened]... water, yet mammals cannot? What's stopping the mammal from evolving to life in the water?
    Well, I'm not sure what did and did not have ability to fly before now, I'm also
    unclear on what did and didn't have to adapt to life in water too. For all I know
    they have always been the way they are now.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 18:11
    Well, I'm not sure what did and did not have ability to fly before now, I'm also
    unclear on what did and didn't have to adapt to life in water too. For all I know
    they have always been the way they are now.
    Kelly
    For all I know they have always been the way they are now.

Well molecular DNA tells us otherwise. The fossil record tells us otherwise.

I'm also unclear on what did and didn't have to adapt to life in water too.

I think there are many things you are unclear on, this line of thought being one of them. I'll try one last time -

Why, in your view, can't a mammal have adapted to life in water? What is stopping it?
  12. Playing with matches
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 18:34
    Face------->|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
    placement-->|...............................|
    X/Y/Z------>|...............................|
    structure--->|...=+=.............=+=....|
    BUILD-----> [|---------->..............|]
    with-------->|..............................|
    right------->|.........(_____)............|
    material---->|...............................|
    connected ...[text shortened]... will have to be passed onto the next
    generation.

Here is a good place to start.
    Kelly
    Why not do something really useful and build yourself some balls.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Sep '10 03:04
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Why not do something really useful and build yourself some balls.
    Put down the highball and face life unmasked.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree