1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:36
    Introduction"Christians are intolerant because they try to tell other people what to do and what to believe," is a common complaint from those who have been witnessed to by a zealous Christian. Although the actions of Christians are often interpreted as intolerance, the primary reason why Christians are seen as intolerant is because the perceived, politically-correct definition of tolerance has changed over the years.

Intolerant Christians?

The "intolerance" of Christians is a direct result of the teachings of its founder Jesus Christ, who, today, would be described as one of the most "intolerant" people to live...
    What is intolerance?To begin the discussion, it would be good to know what the word "intolerant" really means, in order to determine if Christians really are intolerant:

Main Entry: in·tol·er·ant
    Function: adjective
    Date: circa 1735
    1 : unable or unwilling to endure
    2 a : unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters

The really remarkable thing about the definition of intolerant is that those who say we Christians are intolerant and should not express our religious beliefs are the ones who actually fit the definition. Tolerance is not about accepting every one else's beliefs, but merely being willing to listen to those beliefs. In contrast to many other religious beliefs, evangelical Christians rate quite high on the scale of being willing to discuss religious beliefs on a moment's notice.

Tolerance vs. truthTolerance does not mean that we automatically accept every one else's beliefs as being true. Contrary to popular belief, religions do not teach the same things, and, so, they can't all be true. Belief, in and of itself does not make that belief true. Ravi Zacharias, a Christian writer, warns, "Truth cannot be sacrificed at the altar of pretended tolerance. Real tolerance is deference to all ideas, not indifference to the truth." Christianity is the prime example why all religions cannot be true. Virtually every other world religion, other than Christianity, teaches that a person can become acceptable to God on the basis of their actions in life. In contrast, Christianity teaches that no person, no matter what they do, can become acceptable to God through their own actions. In Christianity, acceptance by God is based upon the completed work of Jesus Christ, through belief that His sacrifice makes us acceptable. Therefore, Christianity and other religions cannot all be simultaneously true, since they teach opposite ideas about how one becomes acceptable to God. A Christian cannot accept other belief systems as being true and still maintain his own belief system, since they are directly contradictory.

The Christian is most often claimed to be "intolerant" when he refuses to accept and speaks out against "alternative lifestyles," such as cohabitation or homosexual behavior. Again, this is an improper use of the word "intolerant." Tolerance does not require acceptance of all ideas as being true, but merely a willingness to hear alternative beliefs. Those who say that Christians should not express their beliefs are actually the ones who are being intolerant, since they are unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression to Christian beliefs (see definition above).

Jesus was "intolerant"The supposed intolerance of Christians is a direct result of the teachings of its founder Jesus Christ, who, today, would be described as one of the most "intolerant" people to live. Although Jesus was loving and associated with all kinds of people, He was not "tolerant" of their "alternative lifestyles." Jesus confronted immoral behavior directly, and even had the audacity to tell people to stop practicing their sinful behavior.5 In addition, Jesus commanded his followers to "make disciples of all the nations... teaching them to observe all that I commanded you,"6 and "preach the gospel to all creation."7 Jesus did not say to accept other religions as being true. In fact, He made one of the most "intolerant" statements that any religious leader has ever made:

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me. (John 14:6)

This statement alone reveals that all other religions and religious ideas cannot be true. No religion other than Christianity claims that Jesus is the only way to God. Therefore, either Jesus was telling the truth and He is the only way to God or He was a liar and Christianity is false.

Evangelical Christians, in their zeal to follow the commands of their Lord, may seem to be over-enthusiastic and judgmental. However, in believing that Jesus is the only way to God, we want everybody we meet to understand their choices and the consequences of those choices. Love requires that we share the message of the gospel (good news) of Jesus Christ. The good news is that all people can enter into a personal relationship with the God and Creator of the universe through belief in Jesus Christ.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16, Jesus Christ)

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/intolerance.html
  2. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:42
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Introduction"Christians are intolerant because they try to tell other people what to do and what to believe," is a common complaint from those who have been witnessed to by a zealous Christian. Although the actions of Christians are often interpreted as intolerance, the primary reason why Christians are seen as intolerant is because the perceived, politica ...[text shortened]... ife." (John 3:16, Jesus Christ)

That whoever part? Does that include women, and gays?

3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:45
    Introduction"Christians are intolerant because they try to tell other people what to do and what to believe," is a common complaint from those who have been witnessed to by a zealous Christian. Although the actions of Christians are often interpreted as intolerance, the primary reason why Christians are seen as intolerant is because the perceived, politica ...[text shortened]... ife." (John 3:16, Jesus Christ)

Do you feel that making certain behaviors illegal is intolerant?
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:46
    Originally posted by Nyxie

Uh, of course it includes women. However, no, not unrepetant gays, since they are worshipping themselves above God.
  5. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:48
    Uh, of course it includes women. However, no, not unrepetant gays, since they are worshipping themselves above God.
    Unrepentant gays? What about gays who believe in Jesus?

What about noisy oppinionated women? The kind that like to think for themselves?

Nyxie
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Do you feel that making certain behaviors illegal is intolerant?
    Depends on the behaviors. And as we can see, intolerance means unequal to grant freedom of expression, not action.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves

Your question is interesting, you ask about women which we can all
    know by looking at someone's form who is and is not a woman, when
    you ask about gays, you are speaking of a sexual taste or action
    which is not the same thing as someone's form like their sex or their
    skin color. So to question tolerance towards a sex is one thing, or
    one's skin color is one thing, to move on to actions is another which
    then moves to what is and is not an acceptable behavior.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:49
    Unrepentant gays? What about gays who believe in Jesus?

What about noisy oppinionated women? The kind that like to think for themselves?

Nyxie
    Why do you have the impression that the Bible paints women as 2nd class? It does not.

Gays who believe in Jesus and continue in their sin do not believe in the same Jesus as the Bible depicts.

He told the adulteress "Go and sin NO MORE."
  9. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:52
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Your question is interesting, you ask about women which we can all
    know by looking at someone's form who is and is not a woman, when
    you ask about gays, you are speaking of a sexual taste or action
    which is not the same thing as someone's form like their sex or their
    skin color. So to question tolerance towards a sex is one thing, or
    one's skin colo ...[text shortened]... n to actions is another which
    then moves to what is and is not an acceptable behavior.
    Kelly
    I have to totally disagree here. I believe that gay people are gay because that's the way they are. I gather many here still believe that sexual orientation is a choice.

Noone can choose whom they fall in love with. It defies reason to state that you can.

Nyxie
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:54
    I have to totally disagree here. I believe that gay people are gay because that's the way they are. I gather many here still believe that sexual orientation is a choice.

Noone can choose whom they fall in love with. It defies reason to state that you can.

Nyxie
    So I guess we disagree, because I don't believe that gay is equal to
    being born black, white, or a woman. It is a sexual prefernce, an
    action which we can call 'gay' just as we call baseball players those
    who play baseball.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:54

Nyxie
    But one can choose whether or not they remove their clothes and express that love sexually and in defiance of God.

Though I still challenge your assertion that people are born gay. It would go against evolution and against God's will for us.
  12. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So I guess we disagree, because I don't believe that gay is equal to
    being born black, white, or a woman. It is a sexual prefernce, an
    action which we can call 'gay' just as we call baseball players those
    who play baseball.
    Kelly
    Being gay is'nt the action. Having gay sex would be. You could be abstinent and still be gay. You could be a virgin, and still be attracted to the same sex. We don't decide what we find attractive, we don't decide who we love.

we obviously disagree.

Nyxie
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 07:02
    Why do you have the impression that the Bible paints women as 2nd class? It does not.

Gays who believe in Jesus and continue in their sin do not believe in the same Jesus as the Bible depicts.

He told the adulteress "Go and sin NO MORE."
    I cannot believe that even after we discussed this passage in the other thread, you still insist on getting the message wrong. Jesus says in John 8:15 at the end of this incident "I judge no man". How is He intolerant? Where do you get the idea that Jesus would regard homosexual acts as such a sin that it could not be forgiven by God? Remember Darfius: "With God ALL things are possible."
  14. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 07:23
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I cannot believe that even after we discussed this passage in the other thread, you still insist on getting the message wrong. Jesus says in John 8:15 at the end of this incident "I judge no man". How is He intolerant? Where do you get the idea that Jesus would regard homosexual acts as such a sin that it could not be forgiven by God? Remember Darfius: "With God ALL things are possible."
    It cannot be forgiven unless you WANT it to be forgiven, and if you continue to do it, then you clearly are not ashamed and do not WANT forgiveness.

God will not violate your free will choice to embrace or deny Him.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 07:29
    Depends on the behaviors. And as we can see, intolerance means unequal to grant freedom of expression, not action.
    I meant specifically things like homosexuality, using the name of the god you believe in "in vain", working on Sundays, contraception, etc.

Do you think one can be tolerant and still want to outlaw all those activities?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree