Originally posted by divegeester
    ...or a gay.
    So what??

Really? You had to go there?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:50
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I'm getting more interested in Christianity, and giving it much much more credit then i used too. But homophobia in church really bugs me, i hate how in scotland the churches campaign against homosexuality. Its glorified school bullying, pathetic. I've read one of the bits in the bible that says homosexuality is wrong, and the bit two pages later where it t ...[text shortened]... and i never hear any christian complain about it. but picking on gay people seems to be fine.
    glorified school bullying and homophobia, wow, do you really think that is the reasons that the church in Scotland is against admitting those who want to engage in a practice that they deem both as opposed to nature and opposed to scripture. I always have to laugh when homosexuals describe those who oppose the practice as homophobic and wonder if they seem as keen to label others with similar mysterious mental ailments. Ironic considering that homosexuality was also considered a debilitating mental condition not that long ago. Why should anyone be expected to accept a morality and a practice that is contrary to nature and their religious beliefs? You have not said.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:51
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Why with all this jesus loves you business is the church so keen to pick on gay people, even gay kids as with brian suiters sick referendum. Yet in Lewes every year they hold a bonfire where they through fire works at a man dressed as the pope... its a feature. it happens every year and i never hear any christian complain about it. but picking on gay people seems to be fine.
    Religion is a curious phenomenon where people can make the most ridiculous claims and get away with it. In general, the word 'supernatural' means 'I know I'm talking nonsense but I don't have to follow the rules because what I am saying doesn't follow the rules'.
    Religious people generally use their religion to avoid having to substantiate claims.
    They also use religion to back up their prejudices.
    With regards to homosexuality, most straight people feel very uncomfortable with it. This causes homophobia to varying degrees. Those who are homophobic will then use their religion to justify it - because, religion allows you to get away with it. If some says 'I'm racist' he will be frowned on in most modern societies. If someone says 'in my religion we don't believe in interracial interaction', they can almost get away with it.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I am quite liberal, as you say you are, and I have a problem with many mainstream Christian churches as well.

I am Episcopalian, and my church is more liberal than a lot of them I've been to. They have a lot more tolerance than most. My advice to you would be to seek out an Anglican church in your area. The Episcopalian Church in America is the Americ ...[text shortened]... priest near you. Describe your situation and ask for advice on a church to attend. Good luck!
    liberal? weak and watery more like.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Religion is a curious phenomenon where people can make the most ridiculous claims and get away with it. In general, the word 'supernatural' means 'I know I'm talking nonsense but I don't have to follow the rules because what I am saying doesn't follow the rules'.
    Religious people generally use their religion to avoid having to substantiate claims.
    They ...[text shortened]... ion we don't believe in interracial interaction', they can almost get away with it.
    another arm chair psychologist, do you really think that religious people are afraid of homosexuals, that that is the real reason that they are opposed to homosexuality? really?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    glorified school bullying and homophobia, wow, do you really think that is the reasons that the church in Scotland is against admitting those who want to engage in a practice that they deem both as opposed to nature and opposed to scripture. I always have to laugh when homosexuals describe those who oppose the practice as homophobic and wonder if th ...[text shortened]... ality and a practice that is contrary to nature and their religious beliefs? You have not said.
    Could you dial it back a bit, Mr. Oh-So-Much-Holier-Than-Thou?

Answer me this. Would Jesus openly berate this man and send him packing?

I doubt it.

Just think about that.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:58
    another arm chair psychologist, do you really think that religious people are afraid of homosexuals, that that is the real reason that they are opposed to homosexuality? really?
    No, I think it's much more akin to hatred and racism.

It's not "like them" so they hate it and ban it.

They certainly don't hate homosexuals because Jesus told them to do so.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 16:00
    liberal? weak and watery more like.
    Sorry? You said something?

Pardon me if I'm not all that terribly concerned about what you think.

Just how thin can you spread your hate?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 16:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    They ...[text shortened]... ion we don't believe in interracial interaction', they can almost get away with it.
    Not anti-homosexual, got it.

Rabidly anti-religion, got it.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 16:02
    Could you dial it back a bit, Mr. Oh-So-Much-Holier-Than-Thou?

Answer me this. Would Jesus openly berate this man and send him packing?

I doubt it.

Just think about that.
    As predicted, we can always rely on someone watering down the word of God. Get this straight, Jesus was a Jew who upheld the tenets of the mosaic law and instructed others to do likewise and we know what they would have meant for your friend. The fact of the matter is he has stated that those who do not wish homosexuals to be part of the church do so on the basis of homophobia and bullying which is a nonsense because they do so on the understanding that it is unnatural and contrary to the teaching of scripture, why didn't you tell him that instead of watering it down, lukewarm is what you are and you know what that means for you.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 16:042 edits
    Sorry? You said something?

Pardon me if I'm not all that terribly concerned about what you think.

Just how thin can you spread your hate?
    LOL, hate, its now hateful to uphold the Biblical standards yup, why don't we water it down, accuse others of hatred because they are prepared to tell it like it is rather than watering the text down. Entirely typical and rather predictable.

(2 Timothy 4:3-5) For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories. You, though, keep your senses in all things, suffer evil, do [the] work of an evangelizer, fully accomplish your ministry.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 17:05
    As predicted, we can always rely on someone watering down the word of God. Get this straight, Jesus was a Jew who upheld the tenets of the mosaic law and instructed others to do likewise and we know what they would have meant for your friend. The fact of the matter is he has stated that those who do not wish homosexuals to be part of the church do ...[text shortened]... hat instead of watering it down, lukewarm is what you are and you know what that means for you.
    Would YOU throw the first stone, Mr. Yes-I-AM-Holier-Than-Thou?

Are you really that vain and unseeing?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 17:061 edit
    LOL, hate, its now hateful to uphold the Biblical standards yup, why don't we water it down, accuse others of hatred because they are prepared to tell it like it is rather than watering the text down. Entirely typical and rather predictable.

(2 Timothy 4:3-5) For there will be a period of time when they [b]will not put up with the healthful teachi ...[text shortened]... n all things, suffer evil, do [the] work of an evangelizer, fully accomplish your ministry.
    [/b]
    Sorry, I don't listen to "made-up" NWT "scripture".
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 17:08
    Would YOU throw the first stone, Mr. Yes-I-AM-Holier-Than-Thou?

Are you really that vain and unseeing?
    yawn, more nothingness.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 17:081 edit
    Sorry, I don't listen to "made-up" NWT "scripture".
    yawn, even more nothingness, feel free to look up the verse in any Bible that's been translated after the middle ages.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree