1. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 20:541 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    is the biblical definition of gay the same as your definition of gay?
    I am not sure I understand what you mean, are there different degrees of gayness?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 20:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am not sure I understand what you mean, are there different degrees of gayness?
    i would say so. wouldnt you?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Those "large segments of Christendom" who do not similarly condemn the wearing of garments made of more than one type of fiber or the eating of shellfish, who do not believe that women should be silent in the church, etc. show themselves to be the hypocrites that they are.
    Even if robbie doesn't see what you're saying, I think I do.

The time has come to evolve past this thinking. Not accepting homosexuality is as archaic as these laws, and if you subscribe to one, maybe you should subscribe to the others as well. Is that what you're getting at?

The things in this post come from the Mosaic laws, though, and they have never applied to Christians. For example, eating shellfish is still not kosher, even today. But Christians never did follow the kosher regimen, except of course if they were Jews before becoming Christian.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:035 edits
    I disagree, the motivation for excluding gays is based on scripture and the premise that's its immoral and unnatural and anti-scriptural, not on some ludicrous psychological fears.
    But, you see, Robbie, I don’t think you are really upholding Biblical standards—I think you are honestly upholding what you believe are Biblical standards, no question there. But I think that you’re wrong. Now, I’m going to speak strictly within the framework of the Hebrew Bible, realizing that you also rely on the NT; I have seen similar scholarly work done on the NT texts as well (digging into both the Greek, and historical understandings)—but I’ll let other people work there [I have some citations that I can give, but they are easily findable by anyone interested].

One does not have to be either dishonest or pernicious to be biased: one only has to have been taught certain biases and the arguments for why they are not biases. Even a questioning mind may honestly—innocently, one might say—retain certain biases whose arguments seem to continue to hold.

Admittedly, aside from any issues of translation—both from the Hebrew language and its idioms—I think that the Hebrew texts have been subject to biased interpretations that have been handed down (within Judaism as well); the saving grace of rabbinical teaching (the Oral Torah) is not that the rabbis were unbiased (this way or that way), but that methodology of the Oral Torah (which really is the Oral Torah) requires continuing questioning and argument—whatever one rabbi is recorded as saying, there is another recorded, countervailing (at least potentially, in principle) saying by another rabbi. And “a place has been left for me to labor in it” (BT, tractate Hullin, 7).

It is possible, of course, that I am wrong. I, too, have inherited biases (though, with regard to homosexuals, they were extremely negative ones)—and there may be some that I do not recognize. That realization is part of what, hopefully, keeps me from dismissing/attacking the Other, simply because he/she has another view. But I at least owe that view the regard of argument. (“I could be wrong—but I don’t think so”, Monk.)

The following represents some considered Jewish argument from one site, based on close readings of the Hebrew text, and with some historical analysis. Several rabbis are quoted with somewhat different views (naturally!). From my own studies (which I may pull together for presentation later), it seems absolutely unequivocal to me that that the “sin of Sodom” had nothing to do with homosexuality—either as it is understood now, or might have been understood then.

For now, this will do. It represents no “watering down” at all.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ecorebbe/id18.html

DOES THE BIBLE PROHIBIT HOMOSEXUALITY, by Rabbi Jacob Milgrom, Professor Emeritus of Biblical Studies at the University of California, Berkeley*

Of course it does (Leviticus) 18: 22; 20: 13), but the prohibition is severely limited. First, it is addressed only to Israel, not to other nations. Second, compliance with this law is a condition for residing in the Holy Land, but is irrelevant outside it (see the closing exhortation, 18: 24-30). Third, it is limited to men; lesbianism is not prohibited. Thus it is incorrect to apply this prohibition on a universal scale.

Moreover, as pointed out by my erstwhile student, Dr. David Stewart, both occurrences of the prohibition (18: 22; 20: 13) contain the phrase "as one lies with a woman" (lit. "lyings a woman"😉, an idiom used only for illicit heterosexual unions [in the usage of the Torah]. Thus one could argue that carnal relations are forbidden only if their correlated heterosexual unions would be in these lists. For example, the Bible lists the following prohibited relations: nephew-aunt, grandfather-granddaughter, and stepmother-stepson. Thus, according to this theory, nephew-uncle, grandfather-grandson, and stepfather-stepson are also forbidden. This implies that the homosexual prohibition does not cover all male-male liaisons, but only those within the limited circle of family. However, homosexual relations with unrelated males are neither prohibited nor penalized. Admittedly, more than two occurrences of the phrase "as one lies with a woman" (Gen. 49: 4; Lev. 20: 13) [mishkevey eeshah] are needed before accepting this argument as definitive.

—This is a weal argument, though: Gen 49:4 uses the word mishkevey, but not paired with eeshah. [EDIT: this is my note.]

As I mentioned above, in the entire list of forbidden sexual unions, there is no prohibition against lesbianism. Can it be that lesbianism did not exist in ancient times or that Scripture was unaware of its existence? Lesbianism existed and flourished, as attested in an old (pre-Israelite) Babylonian omen text (Texts from Cuneiform Sources 4, 194: XXIV 33'😉 and in the work of the lesbian poet Sappho (born c. 612 BCE, during the time of the First Temple), who came from the island of Lesbos (hence "lesbian" ). But, in the eyes of the Bible, there is a fundamental difference between the homosexual acts of men and women: in lesbianism there is no spilling of seed. Thus life is not symbolically lost, and it is for that reason, in my opinion, that lesbianism is not prohibited in the Bible.

Thus, from the Bible, we can infer the following: the female half of the world's homosexual population, lesbians, are not mentioned. Over ninety-nine percent of the remaining gays, namely non-Jews, are not addressed. This leaves the small number of Jewish gay men subject to this prohibition. To those who argue that the Bible enjoins homosexuality, a careful reading of the source text offers a fundamentally different view. While the Bible never applauds homosexuality, neither does it prohibit most people from engaging in it.
    (LEVITICUS, pgs. 196-197, by Jacob Milgrom, 2004)

* Jacob Milgrom is Professor Emeritus of Biblical Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. The author of five scholarly books, including "Studies in Levitical Terminology" (1970), "Cult and Conscience: The Asham and the Priestly Doctrine of Repentence" (1976), "Numbers" (JPS Torah Commentary- 1990), and "Leviticus (Anchor Bible, 3 vols.,-1991-2001), and more than two hundred articles. He was named a fellow of the Guggenheim Foundation, a fellow of the Institute for Advanced Studies in Jerusalem, and a senior fellow of the Albright Institute of Archaeological Research. Now retired, he and his wife, Jo, live in Jerusalem (as of August 2001).

From the same site:

Again, according to the rabbi and Bible scholar, Professor Jacob Milgrom, the prestigious translator and commentator of the scholarly Anchor Bible Series Translation of the Book of Leviticus, and the Jewish Publication Society Commentary on the Book of Numbers; the ORIGINAL Hebrew Bible Leviticus texts are referring to NON-ISRAELITE, RELIGIOUS cultic ritual sexual and sexual abuse practices that Israelites were not to imitate when they entered into the Land of Israel. It has nothing at all to do with what we today term as being homosexuality per se, but with cultic religious fertility rituals.

The ORIGINAL LEVITICUS documents of the biblical texts that are today used by the uninformed to deny a spiritual connection to God for homosexuals were not written to address either homosexuals or homosexuality. These documents are actually referring to a prohibition against imitating non-Israelite, foreign CULTIC sexual substitution fertility rituals, and do not condemn anyone who does not use substitutional and/or incestuous sex as a method of gaining Divine favor.

In fact, the text of the Book of Leviticus was originally written as an instruction manual for the priestly tribe, and referred to PRIESTLY prohibitions only. The original name of the Book of Leviticus (which name comes from the Greek Septuagint) was in Hebrew “SEFER TORAT HAKOHANIM" (The Instructions of the Priestly Officiants).

Among the Israelites the Priestly class was required to be "Kadosh" (Holy; see Lev. 22: 8; Ezek. 44: 31), "set apart" from the rest of the people, just as the Sabbath and Festivals are set apart as "Holy" from the rest of weekly time.

During Ezra's time period (5th century BCE) this same text of Leviticus was then edited, added to, and made to apply to all the returning Jews, who were now to be a "nation of kings and priests." "You shall be Holy (set apart), for I, ADONAI, your God, am Holy" (Lev. 19: 2).

On “Abomination”

The Hebrew word toevah, generally translated as “abomination”, basically means (like the English abomination) “distasteful” or “disgusting” or “loathsome”. It is not a synonym for wickedness (resha) or moral evil.* It is, as the article cited above notes, most often used for what is distasteful in terms of religious behavior—which, for Leviticus, means most behavior—it often refers to idols. The article notes the restrictions for the “abominableness” of homosexual acts. Something may be both wicked and toevah, but could be either one without the other.

In English, however, “abomination” just sounds so—well, “abominable”! But I have never seen anyone derive the conclusion that the abominable snowman was also morally wicked . . .

* NOTE: The Hebrew word ra, often translated as “evil”, does not mean moral wickedness either, though it can be extended to cover that. Ra simply means “bad”, in any way that you can use that word—just as tov means “good” in the same general way: e.g., the phrase mazel ra hu says, “He [has] bad luck”. The English word “evil” had the same generality when the Bible was originally translated in the 16th-17th centuries.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Even if robbie doesn't see what you're saying, I think I do.

The time has come to evolve past this thinking. Not accepting homosexuality is as archaic as these laws, and if you subscribe to one, maybe you should subscribe to the others as well. Is that what you're getting at?

The things in this post come from the Mosaic laws, though, and they have n ...[text shortened]... did follow the kosher regimen, except of course if they were Jews before becoming Christian.
    im sure money would speed up the evolving process. if a rather disgustingly rich gay dude wanted to pump his..(steady)...billions into the jw church. im sure one of their elders would suddenly have a 'new understanding' of the bible and it would be rainbows, glitter balls and turkish baths all the way down at the temple.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:063 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    But, you see, Robbie, I don’t think you are really upholding Biblical standards—I think you are honestly upholding what you believe are Biblical standards, no question there. But I think that you’re wrong. Now, I’m going to speak strictly within the framework of the Hebrew Bible, realizing that you also rely on the NT; I have seen similar scholarly work d hen the Bible was originally translated in the 16th-17th centuries.
    The fact of the matter is that the practice of homosexuality stands condemned in scripture, whether Hebrew or Greek. The matter is perfectly clear learned one. Lesbianism is mentioned by Paul as being contrary to nature, obscene, dishonourable, disgraceful and worthy of censure and punishment.

(Romans 1:24-27) Therefore God, in keeping with the desires of their hearts, gave them up to uncleanness, that their bodies might be dishonored among them, even those who exchanged the truth of God for the lie and venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the One who created, who is blessed forever. Amen. That is why God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:09
    The fact of the matter is that the practice of homosexuality stands condemned in scripture, whether Hebrew or Greek. The matter is perfectly clear learned one.
    No, it is not, old friend. 🙂
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:11
    The fact of the matter is that the practice of homosexuality stands condemned in scripture, whether Hebrew or Greek. The matter is perfectly clear learned one.
    So said the guy who claimed that owning a chain-fed 50mm M60 machine gun was his right under the Second Amendment.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:12
    Originally posted by vistesd
    No, it is not, old friend. 🙂
    I have to disagree.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:13
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    im sure money would speed up the evolving process. if a rather disgustingly rich gay dude wanted to pump his..(steady)...billions into the jw church. im sure one of their elders would suddenly have a 'new understanding' of the bible and it would be rainbows, glitter balls and turkish baths all the way down at the temple.
    I'm guessing that is rather like the 800-pound gorilla in the room.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:161 edit
    So said the guy who claimed that owning a chain-fed 50mm M60 machine gun was his right under the Second Amendment.
    I have and do not own a gun, I have never owned a gun, in fact i am a so against killing that I am a vegetarian by choice because I don't think it correct to kill animals for food. Clearly you are mistaken or have mistaken me for someone else, the second amendment and the whole American constitution has little relevance to me, I am a British citizen residing in a British city.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:261 edit
    I have and do not own a gun, I have never owned a gun, in fact i am a so against killing that I am a vegetarian by choice because I don't think it correct to kill animals for food. Clearly you are mistaken or have mistaken me for someone else, the second amendment and the whole American constitution has little relevance to me, I am a British citizen residing in a British city.
    If I meant you, I would have said you.

Again, a simple statement whizzes right over your head.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:30
    If I meant you, I would have said you.

Again, a simple statement whizzes right over your head.
    well if you never meant me why are you addressing posts to me about the second amendment? are you in your senses?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And I can justify both stances without resorting to the 'its supernatural, I don't have to answer to common sense' card.
    And my point was that both are just as bad as the other.
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 21:36
    I have to disagree.
    Thought as much—but it was a much a mitzvah for me to make the argument, as it is for you.

As I noted, I have generally “renounced” arguing the NT (in either the Greek or in translation) with Christians—on this side or that one; it is simply no longer my place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree