Life from a petri-dish

Life from a petri-dish

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Has this new info culminated in anything different, i.e. maize become something other than a hybrid of itself. And where would the first DNA originate?
I see variation, never the culmination of brand new genetic information.
Yes it does culminat in something different. In most cases genes are taken from other species and not from other maize plants. This does not result in a 'hybrid' but rather what could almost be termed a new species. This type of gene transfer is known to take place in nature.
It is also a well known fact that brand new genes do occur naturally due to various factors.

Could you propose a hypothesis for this randomly generating a living, functioning organism?

No. You clearly have not learnt anything about the Theory of Evolution. It is not about random generation of anything. If you have a large enough system of replicating "things" whether small molecules, cells or multicellular life forms, which are capable of some variation, then they will evolve over time into other forms. The more successfull forms will prevail over time and this implies that the cellular structure is a fairly stable successfull form.
There are two very important points to note.
1. This is not a random falling together of bits. It follows well defined rules with specific preasures as in my example of a jar of muddy water, there is the 'preasure' of gravity and it creates a pattern.
2. Evolution does not neccesarily result in more complexity. Viruses and bacteria still exist to this day and are very successfull organisms.

What makes you so sure that there are no self replicating molecules in nature other than DNA or outside of cells? RNA replicates.
Most studied viruses replicate inside cells, does this mean that no virus exists that can replicate in the right soup of amono acids ? That is a very big assumption.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by twhitehead
This type of gene transfer is known to take place in nature.
It is also a well known fact that brand new genes do occur naturally due to various factors.
Examples?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
One likely possibility; the current forms of life take up nucleotides so that there are none available for non DNA based DNA formation.
PCR. PCR is not DNA controlled.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by scottishinnz
PCR. PCR is not DNA controlled.
What is it?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
What is it?
The Polymerase chain reaction is a method that biologists use to amplify DNA. It involves the seqeuential cycling of a DNA molecule (or molecules) through a series of temperatures, which first split the two strands apart, and then cool it sufficiently to allow a bacterial DNA polymerase to synthesize new DNA. These new strands are then split apart again and the cycle continues (primers and nucleotides are supplied). Whilst DNA is required as a template, this process is mechanically controlled.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Examples?
See for example copious literature on Agrobacterium , a soil bacteria that transfers DNA between organisms on a frequent basis, or numerous fungi (some of which have up to 13 sexes), bacteria, etc which frequently trade DNA. Not uncommon in nature really.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by scottishinnz
The Polymerase chain reaction is a method that biologists use to amplify DNA. It involves the seqeuential cycling of a DNA molecule (or molecules) through a series of temperatures, which first split the two strands apart, and then cool it sufficiently to allow a bacterial DNA polymerase to synthesize new DNA. These new strands are then split apart aga ...[text shortened]... s are supplied). Whilst DNA is required as a template, this process is mechanically controlled.
The point being (before you ask), is if we can do it in a lab (very effectively using specific methodology) there is no reason why it couldn't happen in nature.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
[b]My claim is that without intelligent input, things become more rundown, more random and less complex.

According to thermodynamics, this does not apply to an open system, like life.[/b]
Theoretically, the universe is a closed system, yes?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by stocken
I'm on the side of twitehead on this particular matter. I, too, believe that life doesn't need to originate from any form of previous intelligence, but that in fact, life has slowly evolved from something less to something more complex. [Edit: with focus on believe I'm beginning to understand]

You are an intelligent person Halitose, there can be ...[text shortened]... st hope we never find out who. What would life be without discussions like these?

Keep living
And my best regards to you too.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Dec 05

How is this relevant to the discussion? There is no law in physics, thermodynamics or any other science that states or implies that every system (not a closed system) must get less complex or more random. To me the formation of stars, galaxies, planets etc are shining examples of the fact that very complex things can form from something as simple as a cloud of hydrogen atoms.

s

Moves
13 Dec 05

Has anyone considered, that what we interpret as complex structures are really nothing but a state of chaos? To us, this chaos denotes intelligence and structure, but really, all things are de-evolving when we think we're evolving.

Or is just me?..

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 05

How is this relevant to the discussion? There is no law in physics, thermodynamics or any other science that states or implies that every system (not a closed system) must get less complex or more random. To me the formation of stars, galaxies, planets etc are shining examples of the fact that very complex things can form from something as simple as a cloud of hydrogen atoms.
How is this relevant to the discussion?

www.answers.com/second law of thermodynamics

If the universe is a closed system, the second law of thermodynamics would certainly apply.

To me the formation of stars, galaxies, planets etc are shining examples of the fact that very complex things can form from something as simple as a cloud of hydrogen atoms.

Begging the question.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Dec 05

www.answers.com/second law of thermodynamics

If the universe is a closed system, the second law of thermodynamics would certainly apply.
I still dont see the relevance. Even if the universe as a whole is obeying the second law (which I dispute) that does not imply that the earth or things on the earth do so as they are not closed systems. In fact this is clearly stated on the link you have given.

Also I do not see any substantiation yet to your claim that without intelligent input, things become more rundown, more random and less complex. It is cirtainly not part of the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 05

Yes it does culminat in something different. In most cases genes are taken from other species and not from other maize plants. This does not result in a 'hybrid' but rather what could almost be termed a new species. This type of gene transfer is known to take place in nature.
It is also a well known fact that brand new genes do occur naturally due to v ...[text shortened]... irus exists that can replicate in the right soup of amono acids ? That is a very big assumption.
No. You clearly have not learnt anything about the Theory of Evolution.

Lol, resorting to the renowned last-ditch defense: Argumentum ad hominem? 😞

It is not about [b]random generation of anything. If you have a large enough system of replicating "things" whether small molecules, cells or multicellular life forms, which are capable of some variation, then they will evolve over time into other forms.[/b]

Ahem... again, begging the question, where did these "small things" come from? Random processes. It seems like your TOE starts after abiogenesis.

1. This is not a [b]random falling together of bits. It follows well defined rules with specific preasures as in my example of a jar of muddy water, there is the 'preasure' of gravity and it creates a pattern.[/b]

Hydrological sorting is also dependent on density - but this is beside the point. What particles would be hydrologically sorted to form a more complex compound? You seem to be groping in the dark here. Science works on observable phenomenon, not random, unlinked processes - not hydrological sorting here, DNA formation there, and boom, new creature; there should be a clearly defined link.

2. Evolution does not neccesarily result in more complexity. Viruses and bacteria still exist to this day and are very successfull organisms.

When starting from nothing and ending with something, this is certainly the case of "result in more complexity".

Most studied viruses replicate inside cells, does this mean that no virus exists that can replicate in the right soup of amono acids ?

Inside host cells, yes. How the plague do you get something more complex to replicate in when a virus is part of this chain of developing complexity?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
13 Dec 05

Yes, but the solar system is not.