1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 20:15
    Life

Let's have a civil conversation about physical life, soul life, spiritual life, an after life or the cessation of life? Your views?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 21:102 edits
    I think if people would only think about it a little bit they should recognize what surely must be the truth.

The most wonderful thing in existence is LIFE.

And behind all created life there is an uncreated LIFE.
    This uncreated Person is indestructible, never had a beginning, will never end.

For some reason it makes perfect sense to me now. I think if people only think about it, though it mentions no god per se, it makes sense.

Ultimately the REAL life, the real source of all other lives - is uncreated and eternal.

Doesn't it make sense ?
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 21:48
    Originally posted by sonship
    I think if people would only think about it a little bit they should recognize what surely must be the truth.

The most wonderful thing in existence is LIFE.

For some reason it makes perfect sense to me now. I t ...[text shortened]... ife, the real source of all other lives - is uncreated and eternal.

Doesn't it make sense ?
    So, if we are eternal, without beginning or end, what's the point of this physical life? Why
    would we enter a state of amnesia on the supernatural, if we live eternally? I guess we're
    bored with our eternal existence, so we need a temporary escape? The irony of us
    having this conversation is beautiful, if that's the case, wouldn't you agree? I mean, to enter
    a physical state with no memory of the supernatural, only to spend a considerable amount
    of time trying to understand the supernatural life.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 22:06
    Originally posted by C Hess
    So, if we are eternal, without beginning or end, what's the point of this physical life? Why
    would we enter a state of amnesia on the supernatural, if we live eternally? I guess we're
    bored with our eternal existence, so we need a temporary escape? The irony of us
    having this conversation is beautiful, if that's the case, wouldn't you agree? I mean, to ...[text shortened]... tural, only to spend a considerable amount
    of time trying to understand the supernatural life.
    He didn't say we.

Zoom zoom, eh?
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 22:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    He didn't say we.

Zoom zoom, eh?
    Meaning?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 22:231 edit
    Meaning?
    Sonship said:

Suzianne said he (meaning sonship) did not say we.

7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 23:03
    Meaning?
    He's speaking of Jesus Christ.

Where did you get the "we"?

His whole point just passed you by like a warm summer day, didn't it?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 23:143 edits
    So, if we are eternal, without beginning or end, what's the point of this physical life?

Hold on. The Person of Eternal Life brought time, space, and matter of the universe into existence.

If we participate in the eternal purpose of this God we will have eternal life for His expression and our enjoyment.

would we enter a state of amnesia on the supernatural, if we live eternally?

You misunderstood me and I wasn't too clear.

In the New Testament Greek there are three words translated into our English life.

BIOS - meaning the physical life or the biological life.
    PSUCHE - meaning the SOUL or the SELF
    ZOE - the Divine Life mostly used to refer to God and Christ

I guess we're
    bored with our eternal existence, so we need a temporary escape? The irony of us having this conversation is beautiful, if that's the case, wouldn't you agree? I mean, to enter a physical state with no memory of the supernatural, only to spend a considerable amount of time trying to understand the supernatural life.

Our participation in the eternal life is our receiving Jesus Christ as Lord, first of all -

"And this is the testimony, that God has given to us eternal life and this life is in His Son.

He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life." (1 John 5:11,12)

Our initiation into God Himself is to receive the Son of God.

He CAME that we might have this life -

"The thief does not come except to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life [zoe] and may have it abundantly." (John 10:10)

This a corporate and collective matter of an aggregate expression of God united with man as an eternal city - New Jerusalem.

In Christ, God incarnate was divine life which is also the light of men in this dark world.

"In Him was life, and the life was the light of men." (John 1:4)

Look at the vastness of the universe. The possibilities of eternal life are beyond what we could even hope or imagine.

We do not even understand why God loves you and I so much that He would want to be in a loving relationship with is for eternity.

Because His life is uncreated it is also indestructible. So Jesus overcame death and proclaims that He is "the resurrection and the life" .

"Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes into Me, even if he should die, shall live.

And everyone who believes in Me shall by no means die forever. Do you believe this?" (John 11:25,26)

I believe this. I have become convinced that Jesus Christ is a believable Person.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 00:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Life

Let's have a civil conversation about physical life, soul life, spiritual life, an after life or the cessation of life? Your views?[/b]
    Life is amazing. Its finite nature is not a problem ~ indeed, it's part and parcel of the human condition. I think [or I should say, came to realize] that spending one's life fixated on the fact it is finite [or speculating about it not being finite] is not necessary and does not enhance the experience of life.

Although there may be ~ for some people ~ many reasons to hope for "life after death", and religions like Christianity and Islam cater to this, there is no genuine reason to think there is one and no evidence to support the notion.

Furthermore, I see no reason to assume that the existence of a God figure has to be inextricably linked to the existence of "life after death".

I think "spiritual life" [when framed as a supernatural dimension of our lives] is in fact a function of the human spirit, the human condition and human capacity for imagination and creativity.

I think what some perceive as ~ and call ~ the "soul", is in fact a unique and personal narrative. And I think that this narrative ends at the point of death.

Some find this cessation and finality disagreeable and this is where notions of there being a "life after death" get much of their impetus from.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 01:171 edit
    One graphic of human life is a rainbow's arc: on the way up for four decades, life is being lived; death is an infrequent passing thought at best. From the apex plateau forward, glimpses of the reality of your imminent death begin to appear.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 01:30
    From the apex plateau forward, glimpses of the reality of your imminent death begin to appear.
    I think this is true. It may explain people turning to religion in the latter part of their lives. However, I think a recognition of the reality of death is something that almost all adults share to varying degrees. So I think the way that this reality triggers interest in whatever "spiritual answers" on offer leads to religiosity prior to the "the apex plateau" you mentioned. People turn to religion both sides of the "apex", clearly.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 02:221 edit
    Age...... Days Lived

40 Years.... 14,600
    60............ 21,900
    70............ 25,550
    80............ 29,200
    90............ 32,850

Quite a few days in the sun now fading in the rear view mirror, yes? How many days posting to this forum remain?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 02:27
    [b]Age...... Days Lived

40 Years.... 14,600
    60............ 21,900
    70............ 25,550
    80............ 29,200
    90............ 32,850

Quite a few days in the sun now fading in the rear view mirror, yes? How many days posting to this forum remain?[/b]
    I think that the following template... "[1] advancing age > [2] increasing trepidation about the finality of death > [3] seeking comfort in a supernatural scenario that seems to circumnavigate the finality of death" ...is a commonly
    encountered aspect of the human condition.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 02:31
    How many days posting to this forum remain?
    I don't know how much longer I will keep posting here. I recently took the most part of a year off. This is not really relevant though to the question of life and death, is it?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 02:36
    Age...... Days Lived [...]
    90............ 32,850
    I don't think the 'number of days lived' necessarily affects things like credulousness, superstition, and the acceptance of ~ or refusal to accept ~ the finality of death. I think every person is different regardless of the number of days that have passed since they were born or how many days there might still be till they die.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree