Life

Life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Apr 14

“I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.” -Woody Allen

“Sleep, those little slices of death — how I loathe them.” -Edgar Allan Poe

“Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see.” -Helen Keller

“Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” -Ernest Hemingway

“Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five.” -Benjamin Franklin

“The death of a beloved is an amputation.” -C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed

“Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable. How many hours are in a mile? Is yellow square or round? Probably half the questions we ask - half our great theological and metaphysical problems - are like that.” -C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed

“It is hard to have patience with people who say, ‘There is no death’ or ‘Death doesn’t matter.’ There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn’t matter.” -C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
“It is hard to have patience with people who say, ‘There is no death’ or ‘Death doesn’t matter.’ There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn’t matter.” -C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed
You've posted this quotation numerous times.

And it always strikes me that its finale ~ "You might as well say that birth doesn’t matter" ~ is simply a non-sequitur.

A birth is the beginning of a life. A death is the end of it. The fact that life ends does not mean that life had no meaning. Without that birth, the life would not have happened. So it cannot be said that "birth doesn’t matter".

As I said to you on another thread recently, Lewis is arguably the least impressive 'thinker' that you regularly quote.

A lot of his quoted stuff is non-sequitur and rather reliant on the kind of philosophical chaff that gets coughed up by circular logic.

His "You might as well say that birth doesn’t matter" is a good example of a non-sequitur.

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

“Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable. How many hours are in a mile? Is yellow square or round? Probably half the questions we ask - half our great theological and metaphysical problems - are like that.” -C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed
This C S Lewis quote does not say anything interesting about "Life". What impressed you about it?

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

“The death of a beloved is an amputation.” -C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed
This just seems self-evident, albeit an interesting metaphor. What insight into "death" and the "life" of those grieving the death of a loved one do you think this quotation offers?

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

“Sleep, those little slices of death — how I loathe them.” -Edgar Allan Poe
Most people I know enjoy sleeping and find dreams to be an intriguing aspect of their life experience. Do you agree with Edgar Allan Poe?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
This C S Lewis quote does not say anything interesting about "Life". What impressed you about it?
Civil Behaviour Bonus Quote for FMF.... Good Night.

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

“Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” -Ernest Hemingway
This seems to be merely stating the obvious. I suppose one could say that "the details" and the things "that distinguish one person from another" pertain to the various meanings that people ~ individuals ~ find in life.

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

“I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.” -Woody Allen
This is just a gag really. I don't see how it adds to a discussion of the things mentioned in the OP.

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

Civil Behaviour Bonus Quote for FMF.... Good Night.
Most of the quotes you have provided seem rather vacuous - the supposed "Bonus Quote" included. You should have spent the time it took to copy them and paste them to make a more substantial personal interactive contribution.

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

“Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see.” -Helen Keller
I'm sympathetic towards Keller for her having to deal with her blindness and I'm impressed by her life's work, but the "passing from one room into another" thing only tells us about her religious convictions and [perhaps] how she copes with the finality of death.

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

“Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five.” -Benjamin Franklin
This elicits a 'So what?' One could say “Many people never grow up" for example. So what? It's just stating the obvious. If Franklin were directing the comment at a particular target then it would have some substance, I suppose, regarding what/whom he disapproved of, what he considered to be a life well lived etc. Without this, the quote could hardly be described as insightful.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
This just seems self-evident, albeit an interesting metaphor. What insight into "death" and the "life" of those grieving the death of a loved one do you think this quotation offers?
An out of bed pajama post: Intent of these death focused quotes is to place a mortal frame around life, our lives....

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

An out of bed pajama post: Intent of these death focused quotes is to place a mortal frame around life, our lives....
It seems to me you are hiding behind these quotes. You frequently resort to posting quotations right after someone has responded point blank to something you have posted. 🙂

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
It seems to me you are hiding behind these quotes. You frequently resort to posting quotations right after someone has responded point blank to something you have posted. 🙂
It's not that I object to quotes. It's just that I expect them to be a bit more honed in on the subject at hand. With GB, it's like he googled "death quotes" and listed his top 10 hits, without checking if they were applicable to the course of the thread. It's tiresome.

F

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
It's not that I object to quotes. It's just that I expect them to be a bit more honed in on the subject at hand. With GB, it's like he googled "death quotes" and listed his top 10 hits, without checking if they were applicable to the course of the thread. It's tiresome.
On page 1, I addressed Grampy Bobby ~ and the specific content of what he had posted ~ I think six times and there was not one genuine response to any of them. What does he post instead? A long copy paste of quotations, many of which offer little or no insight. Where is the "civil conversation" he claimed was his objective in the OP?