1. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 21:12
    Luke 3:11 says whoever has two coats should give one away. Why do Christians with closets full of coats insist that Genesis must be read literally?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 21:18
    Originally posted by catstorm
    Luke 3:11 says whoever has two coats should give one away. Why do Christians with closets full of coats insist that Genesis must be read literally?
    Figuratively, it means give to the poor and rely on God for your needs.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 21:22
    Yes, but if some verses are meant figuratively and others are meant literally, who decides which is which, and by what authority?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 21:47
    Yes, but if some verses are meant figuratively and others are meant literally, who decides which is which, and by what authority?
    Well, when the Bible is defending slavery, racism, genocide, infanticide, etc. then it is obviously figurative. But when it's cool stuff or things that conform to our pre-determined prejudices, then it's literal.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 23:01
    It's a whole study...

http://www.truthortradition.com/?s=figures+of+speech
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 23:16
    Why did you say "Genesis must be read literally"? Who made up that rule?
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 23:25
    Where in Genesis do you see Christians with closets full of coats?
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 23:27
    Can I keep all of my coats if I have more than two?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 01:19
    He couldn't have been meaning anyone who lived in the tropics.
    Literally.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    03 Jan '15 18:09
    I am talking about people who do insist that Genesis must be read literally while picking and choosing which other verses are figurative. The closets full of coats are not in Genesis but in real life.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 09:32
    I am talking about people who do insist that Genesis must be read literally while picking and choosing which other verses are figurative. The closets full of coats are not in Genesis but in real life.
    Reading the Bible is much the same as reading any other work of literature. The same literary tools apply. It's not a question of "picking and choosing". It's a matter of study. Keep in mind though that the words are inspired, unlike the writings of mere men.

http://literary-devices.com
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 09:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    Reading the Bible is much the same as reading any other work of literature. The same literary tools apply. It's not a question of "picking and choosing". It's a matter of study. Keep in mind though that the words are inspired, unlike the writings of mere men.

How do you explain differences of interpretation as to what is supposedly allegory and what is taken to be literally true between Christians who have studied scripture?
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 09:44
    Originally posted by josephw

...Keep in mind though that the words are inspired...
    Why should you keep this in mind? How do you know this?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 10:12
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    [b]...Keep in mind though that the words are inspired...
    Why should you keep this in mind? How do you know this?[/b]
    How I know the words are inspired is how I know anything about God.

That's not at confusing as it sounds. It's quite simple and easy to understand when one understands this one very basic idea, i.e. that what is know about God is revealed by God to man. A man cannot learn about God what God does not teach about Himself. God is the final authority. A man is merely an echo of the nature, attributes and character of God.

If the Word of God is not true, then what is?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Jan '15 13:051 edit
    Asking if the Bible should be taken literally is a usually trick question.

Tell them it should be taken at face value.

Greg Koukle on Take the Bible at Face Value?

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree